Angriest you've ever gotten at Shenmue?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Angriest you've ever gotten at Shenmue?

Postby Calshot » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:22 am

My angriest moments have less to do with game moments and more faulty disc moments.

My first copy of Shenmue would randomly freeze on loading screens. I never technically beat Shenmue (it would freeze during the Swallow Flip lesson) until a few years later.

My Shenmue 2 discs are scratched up to hell from when I was younger and didn't take proper care of them. Every time I try to replay disc 2, I get to the point where you chase Ren in Pigeon Park. Then the game freezes precisely when Cool Z starts laughing. This causes Cool Z's laughter to loop infinitely both to mock me and to serve as penance for my sins.

Calshot has received 2 thanks from: Raithos, Supa
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby tomboz » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:17 pm

This moment.

I'm at the beginning of disc 3 where you have to find a job at the harbor. On my 10+ previous play-throughs I've never had a problem triggering the cutscene with Goro where he tells you to meet him at warehouse number one the following day. After running around for about 3 hours of in game time without managing to trigger it I decided to consult a walkthrough as it's been a while since I played the game and I figured I must have forgotten a key element to triggering the scene. That didn't help. I tried two more walkthroughs and each one told me it would trigger at a different time and place. I tried all three with no luck.

At first I assumed there was a problem with the game or my Dreamcast as they've been sat in the garage for a while - but after a quick Google search found that there were quite a few people who had not been able to trigger the cutscene.

Given that the last notebook entry is something along the lines of 'I should speak to people at the harbor to find work'; it must be incredibly frustrating for people new to the game who don't get the cutscene given that everyone you speak to is either busy or tells you they're not hiring.

The most frustrating part is that having spent an hour of my life running around the harbor aimlessly, I'll have to spend another hour triggering it and waiting till noon the following day. I really hope that any remake sorts this out given that with the wait function and a properly triggering cutscene this part of the game should take me five minutes rather than two hours!
tomboz
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby BlueMue » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:32 pm

That's one of the moments in the game that always baffles me. For some reason it forces you to come back the next day. Usually it's too late for the meeting, wich I guess is before or during the lunch break. This is a really dumb decission as you always run around and ask the stupid harbor workes dozends of times where to find a job.

I managed to get it him to show up the same day once. Went into the arcade early, showed Chai who's boss and then went to Jimmy and then straight to the harbor. There I talked about to the guy in front of the gate next to warehouse 18 and then with the foreman inside the warehouse. He'll tell you that he saw a young guy around warehouse 12 that recently got a job or something, basically leading you towards Goro. And tada, he showed up immediately.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: tomboz
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby tomboz » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:52 pm

BlueMue wrote: That's one of the moments in the game that always baffles me. For some reason it forces you to come back the next day. Usually it's too late for the meeting, wich I guess is before or during the lunch break. This is a really dumb decission as you always run around and ask the stupid harbor workes dozends of times where to find a job.

I managed to get it him to show up the same day once. Went into the arcade early, showed Chai who's boss and then went to Jimmy and then straight to the harbor. There I talked about to the guy in front of the gate next to warehouse 18 and then with the foreman inside the warehouse. He'll tell you that he saw a young guy around warehouse 12 that recently got a job or something, basically leading you towards Goro. And tada, he showed up immediately.

Ahh. Perhaps speaking with the foreman sets up the cutscene? All the same there's so little direction. I spoke with a vast amount of the people around the harbor and was there for the lunch break. If I didn't know any better (Ie, know that I was looking for Goro) I'd be at a real loss as to what to do to progress. Even knowing that I'm looking for him and roughly where/when he'll show up doesn't seem to help too much!
tomboz
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby BlueMue » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:03 pm

It's not necessary to speak to the foreman. I usually just walked around the area that Goro appears until recently.
I'm not sure if talking to the foreman actually raises the possibility that Goro will be there but like I said the one time where I did it, he was there the same day I started looking for a job. But then again it could just've been that I arrived so early on that playthrough.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ys » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:28 am

Hm, I can't recall if I ever got angry. Maybe annoyed at something but nothing more than that. If I would have to mention something it's the arm wrestling. A few of those opponents are just too much. I know LanDC managed to beat them all and posted proof here. But it involved a lot of preparation, use of pencils etc. if I remember correctly. I think that's asking to much from the player.

But in general I just don't get angry when playing games except for an odd case while playing online and dealing with some idiot.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby tomboz » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:43 pm

BlueMue wrote: It's not necessary to speak to the foreman. I usually just walked around the area that Goro appears until recently.
I'm not sure if talking to the foreman actually raises the possibility that Goro will be there but like I said the one time where I did it, he was there the same day I started looking for a job. But then again it could just've been that I arrived so early on that playthrough.

Went to the foreman in warehouse 18 and the cutscene triggered first time. I must have ran past that spot 200 times before that so whilst it's not essential (I don't recall ever speaking to that guy in any of my previous playthroughs) - it certainly seems to help.

Thanks for your input!
tomboz
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby BlueMue » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:51 pm

Good thing it actually did work and glad that I could provide some help.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby starscream178 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:16 am

Walks to door, hits table.
8 seconds of turning. Still, not aligned perfectly with door.
Re align with door.
15 seconds loading time.

CONTROLS ARGGGG
starscream178
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:22 pm

When I finished Shenmue 2 and realised that I'll probably never get a continuation to that cliffhanger.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Supa » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:52 pm

On my first play of Shenmue I, I could NEVER get into Old Warehouse #8 without being caught. And the disc 3 glitch, even though I really enjoy the forklift job.

For Shenmue II, I hated the command QTEs, and the planks of course. Catching leaves, airing out books, and moving crates all got very old, very fast. And the Dragon Street Lucky Hit stand.

What is the blue sky error?
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby poblequadrat » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:31 am

This didn't get me angry but it can be a bit late when you realise you've been wasting your time: in Shenmue 1, when you're looking for Charlie, if you happen to go upstairs at Okayama Heights and knock on the Tatoo Parlor's door before anyone tells you where the Tatoo Parlor is, people will stop giving you directions and revert to their stock lines. This can be pretty bad if you don't check the sign on the door, because you might actually not know you've already been there and go around in circles wondering why Fuku-san's waitress girl only tells you about Ine-san being worried...
poblequadrat
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby shengoro86 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:17 am

The angriest moments I had:

Final fight with Chai in Shenmue 1.

The wooden planks in Ghost Hall Building in Shenmue 2.

The final arm wrestler in Shenmue 2.

Those... events.... omg
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby ShenSun » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:33 am

Angriest moment ever was that QTE with that bloody barber in Shenmue 2. It took me a good 2 days to figure out that i didn't have to press anything.

I was a naive kid. :)
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby The You » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:13 am

Calshot wrote: My angriest moments have less to do with game moments and more faulty disc moments.

Dear god yes. The first time i got to disc 2 on Shenmue 1 i was so stoked.. only to see the dreamcast menu pop up after putting in the disc. Turns out the thing had a huge scratch. The saddest part though is that it would work sometimes, then just freeze on a random loading screen. Probably played that harbor intro about 7 times before i gave up and burnt a backup copy.
The You
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue