Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

Postby James Brown » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:03 pm

He's standing infront of the soon to be Dreamcast 2 Logo. It's 2 Dreamcast swirls joined together. A very intelligent logo!

I can't wait, the launch games are Shenmue 3, Sonic Adventure 3, Skies of Arcadia 2, Jet Set Radio 3, Crazy Taxi 4, Space Channel 5 Part 3, and Nights Into Dreams 2.

8-[
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby mue 26 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:15 pm

Peter wrote: Image

An angel descended from heaven.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Axm » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:34 pm

Axm has received 2 thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*, Yokosuka Martian
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby KiBa » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:53 pm

18:07 to go.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:56 pm

KiBa wrote: 18:07 to go.

It lives
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby GameFreac » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:59 pm

Is this being uploaded anywhere? I won't be home until 6pm EST, unfortunately.
GameFreac
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Ziming » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:13 pm

GameFreac wrote: Is this being uploaded anywhere? I won't be home until 6pm EST, unfortunately.

Gamespot is likely to uploaded it to their Youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/gamespot
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby shredingskin » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:09 am

I'm the only one really expecting the post-mortem for what it is ?

It will be nice to see how Yu reacts to Shenmue after all these years, what things did go wrong, what things he did right, what stuff would he change, what the original idea was, how the project evolved, what things they had to cut, what were the hardest stuff to do at the time, etc etc.

It's great to see some Shenmue talk again, it's great to see gamers more interested in the development of a game than just PR stuff and reviews, but it's not going to be Shenmue III, and they won't announce anything.

Post mortem doesn't mean that the franchise is "dead", they could do a Halo CE post-mortem if they wanted, it's a retro in depth review (taking into account the years passed), in this case made with the developer.

The most you can think it'll happen is some more insight of what a Shenmue III would expand on the old games, or what stuff could be changed from the originals. Maybe a little nod to E3, but that's just far fetched.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Axm » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:32 am

I think all of our expectations here are pretty low based on history alone, but what we cant deny is that if their were to be an announcement this event would be a prime venue for it. Considering the facts here's why we should be hopeful:

-Sony through Adam Boyes(who is in charge of 3rd party relations) has expressed interest in the series when asked what major franchises they hear fans want.
-Mark Cerny, friend of Yu Suzuki, previous Sega employee, PS4 lead architect, Game Developer, Shenmue fan and someone who's interviewed Yu Suzuki before and asked the hard hitting question that made Yu Suzuki say "I think Sega will let me make it" is interviewing him AGAIN...
-Sega while mostly mute these days, has been making HD remakes of Dreamcast classics.
-What has Yu Suzuki been working on these days since the small cell phone game 3 years ago? Rather what does he have to show for himself these past 10+ years. Surely theirs something of value in there besides Shenmue Online and other failed projects.
-Fan outcry has never been as high as we've grown it to be this past 2013. Now we have this presentation to look forward to. Would seem like a fitting venue to legitimize our cause by announcing something there.

Again, my expectations are low but if their were to be an announcement the cards have seemingly lined up just right for something of value to be said past "working on Shenmue was hard" etc.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby shredingskin » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:22 am

Axm wrote: but what we cant deny is that if their were to be an announcement this event would be a prime venue for it.

A developer talk VS an E3 or TGS announcement ?

I agree that there has been some buzz around Shenmue lately (mostly because of some great fans), announcing a game like this at GDC is just stupid, even by SEGA standards.

This kind of games just don't get announced at these events, this AT MOST (like really thinking they have been working on Shenmue in some sort) is just a little hype building like Molineaux did before he started Godus.

But my question is still relevant, no one really cares about the conference ?? I'm studying game development, so I'm really hyped for this, Shenmue is a landmark in videogame history, it would be nice to see him doing some real dev talking and not just doing some PR.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:24 am

I mean, Sony formally announced the VR headset, so announcements are possiburu.
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby shredingskin » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:27 am

Yokosuka Martian wrote: I mean, Sony formally announced the VR headset, so announcements are possiburu.

Because it's stuff that concerns devs, they did not announce the availability, price, etc. they showed a prototype.

I would love an announcement, but I think it's really far fetched (well, not as many of the "OMG SIII", but still very far fetched.

I just asked if someone does actually care about the post mortem and not just a SIII stealth announcement.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Axm » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:37 am

shredingskin wrote:
Axm wrote: but what we cant deny is that if their were to be an announcement this event would be a prime venue for it.

A developer talk VS an E3 or TGS announcement ?

Sure why not GDC? Why not after just going in depth with how he made the first, segway into a "Here's the all new HD version" and then go in depth about the development in making that aswell? Just a thought and yes most certainly wishful thinking as that's all we ever do around here.
Sure E3 and TGS would be a bigger and more traditional venue but would a new Shenmue really make a splash in the news with all the other hundreds of other games in the spotlight aswell? Shenmue HD or 3 etc is such a left field announcement for the majority of gamers out there that it would make sense to give it publicity in an venue all to itself. Then possibly go into further details, videos etc at TGS and E3. Flesh it out further there once the hype has built up.

Just some wishful thinking. We're all trying to justify why we're still active fans. This event checks so many boxes for us though that we cant help it. It actually makes alot of sense compared to anything we've EVER had in the past.

And to answer your question, Ya I care alot about the postmortem. Anything that sheds further light into this series is amazing considering not every game series gets this kind of session.

Axm has received a thanks from: Ziming
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Peter » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:19 am

No more sleeps!!!
Come on Suzuki San! Guys, optimism is high I can feel it! There has to be something tonight. I honestly feel it today no joke! :D
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Ziming » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:54 am

phpBB [video]

Ziming has received 3 thanks from: Axm, Latin King, Nahovil
Ziming
Banned