Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

Postby Peter » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:51 pm

I think both no reference to any future of Shenmue, plus the "Shenmue II, to be continued....." Is a huge slap in the face to Shenmue fans. Whilst not to sound ungrateful for a postmortem on Shenmue, no Shenmue fan expected it to go down like that. I thought it was a poorly presented conference, with average information and a load of slideshows which for the most part, are things we generally know and have seen before.

It left me even more less interested in the series, with no real hope, excitement or even want to fire up a Dreamcast and relive it. I honestly feel like Shenmue is an insider joke in the gaming industry. People at the conference even asking questions about the creation of his other games is ridiculous.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby urbanveteran » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:51 pm

wow can't believe this game achieved what it did with those specs. this is truly one of the best games ever made. 200mhz processor 8MB memory. we all have 8GB now standard. wow. This needs more than a postmortem. if he was able to achieve this with that spec. what the hell could he do with the current generation. They must be mad not to release anything.

urbanveteran has received 2 thanks from: Henry Spencer, MiTT3NZ
urbanveteran
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Axm » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:51 pm

Im happy we atleast got some plot spoilers out of it.
But at the same time.. I want to destroy a car with my bare hands.

Axm has received 4 thanks from: el_clown, Supa, urbanveteran, Yokosuka Martian
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby BlueMue » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:54 pm

urbanveteran wrote: wow can't believe this game achieved what it did with those specs. this is truly one of the best games ever made. 200mhz processor 8MB memory. we all have 8GB now standard. wow. This needs more than a postmortem. if he was able to achieve this with that spec. what the hell could he do with the current generation. They must be mad not to release anything.

They aren't correct, they were actually Yu's assumptions of what the system will be like. They are pretty spot on though, with the exception that the Dreamcast has 16MB RAM and not just 8 but produced only 360 MIPS instead of 400.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby m4rksc » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:56 pm

Peter wrote: I think both no reference to any future of Shenmue, plus the "Shenmue II, to be continued....." Is a huge slap in the face to Shenmue fans. Whilst not to sound ungrateful for a postmortem on Shenmue, no Shenmue fan expected it to go down like that. I thought it was a poorly presented conference, with average information and a load of slideshows which for the most part, are things we generally know and have seen before.

It left me even more less interested in the series, with no real hope, excitement or even want to fire up a Dreamcast and relive it. I honestly feel like Shenmue is an insider joke in the gaming industry. People at the conference even asking questions about the creation of his other games is ridiculous.

Hear Hear!
m4rksc
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby urbanveteran » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:56 pm

BlueMue wrote:
urbanveteran wrote: wow can't believe this game achieved what it did with those specs. this is truly one of the best games ever made. 200mhz processor 8MB memory. we all have 8GB now standard. wow. This needs more than a postmortem. if he was able to achieve this with that spec. what the hell could he do with the current generation. They must be mad not to release anything.

They aren't correct, they were actually Yu's assumptions of what the system will be like. They are pretty spot on though, with the exception that the Dreamcast has 16MB RAM and not just 8 but produced only 360 MIPS instead of 400.

thats still impressive :mrgreen:
urbanveteran
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Cyberratchet » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:57 pm

I’m a member for more than 3 year now and never wrote a single post. Maybe today’s a good reason.

I’m no angry or disappointed. I’m just tired of the whole tiny Shenmue III reference here and there (Sega brand manager mentions the interest in a HD remake, Ryo in Allstar Racing, the recent “Ryo H” in a PS4 trailer, etc).
The presentation itself was fairly entertaining. We’ve got a few potential hints about the story and the whole part about the development made me smile :D .

Yu Suzuki is certainly still interested in the game, I think that you can see it in his eyes when he’s talking about it. He’s certainly tired of the whole Shenmue III question, mainly because he can only provide this very unsatisfying answer. No one should be mad at Yu, Sega is very well aware about the demand of SIII, and they basically kept their mouths shut for a decade (no Shenmue City doesn’t count).

At the end I can say that I’m relatively satisfied with today’s event, I certainly didn’t expect a Shenmue III announcement. I just hope that we don’t have to wait for 13 to get to the next part of this post-mortem ...

Cyberratchet has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Cyberratchet
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby C.. » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:58 pm

in a way I am happy with the fact Yu and Cerny actually took time to present this, but this should have been bigger than what it was. They should have had more time to discuss the series and had less lengthy unrelated questions.

I'm sure a lot of people including me are disappointed but it's nice it's still being talked about and discussed.
C..
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby ShenSun » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:59 pm

Right guys, im going to GDC right now, to find that twat that asked about Space Harrier, the camera, and the bloody bike. Don't be surprised if i get done for murder.

ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Mitsuzuki » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:59 pm

Soon as I heard it I thought of this...

I can confidently say Ibiza is, dot dot dot.
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby JohnnyTheRocker » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:00 pm

Okay, GDC is for developers and their exchange of ideas, techniqes etc. Still, I was really hoping for some Shenmue news. When Yu got the first question "When will Shenmue III come out?", I'm sure he did NOT say "Dot dot dot" - that was only what the translator said. Not that I speak japanese, but it sure did not sound like Yu repeated three words like that. In the comment section on Gamespots livecast somebody translated Yu´s acctual answer to "I really would like to make it".

IF Yu said that, then why would a translator choose to translate that into "dot dot dot"? Is someone trying to keep the lid on something, or keep the hype up? (Sorry if this is already covered in this thread)
JohnnyTheRocker
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby urbanveteran » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:01 pm

Axm wrote: Im happy we atleast got some plot spoilers out of it.
But at the same time.. I want to destroy a car with my bare hands.

have to fire up SFII for that. is your name ryu? it should be ryo on here :mrgreen:
urbanveteran
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby ShenGCH » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:02 pm

--
Last edited by ShenGCH on Sat May 30, 2015 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShenGCH has received 3 thanks from: C.., IrishNinja, urbanveteran
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:03 pm

ShenSun wrote: Right guys, im going to GDC right now, to find that twat that asked about Space Harrier, the camera, and the bloody bike. Don't be surprised if i get done for murder.

Be gentle with the guys who asked about the camera and the bike, those were actually somewhat okay questions.
You can punish the fool who asked about Space Harrier three times as hard to make up for it. He truly deserves it!

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Supa
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:05 pm

When, 2015 at the next GDC? :roll:
Last edited by Wude-Tang Clan on Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wude-Tang Clan has received a thanks from: Yokosuka Martian
Wude-Tang Clan
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates