Assassin's Creed Series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Assassin's Creed Series

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:53 pm

One of this fall's big Assassin's Creed games, called or code-named Unity, is set at least partly in 18th-century Paris, according to early leaked screenshots obtained by Kotaku.

These screenshots, sent to me by a source who requested anonymity, show Unity's new assassin roaming around what appears to be Paris. You can see Notre Dame, the Seine River, and other Parisian landmarks, and the shots are very clearly from an early version of the game.

What's more, this is just one of two major Assassin's Creed games that will be out later this year, according to a number of sources. Unity will be for the current-gen consoles—Xbox One and PS4—while a second game, possibly called or code-named Comet, will be released on Xbox 360 and PS3. Presumably one or both versions will also be on PC. Sorry, Nintendo fans: I haven't yet heard anything about Wii U.1

This information comes both from web chatter and our own conversations with developer sources. For months now we've heard rumors and rumblings about what could be the next installment in Ubisoft's popular assassin-parkour series, which has been released on an annual schedule for five years now. There's been a new major Assassin's Creed every fall since 2009.

Interesting as all this is, the prospect of two major AC games this fall is particularly noteworthy. Some might be excited that Ubisoft is liberating their teams from the shackles of cross-gen development for Unity, which won't have to make any compromises to fit into last-gen hardware. But some critics have already accused Ubisoft of milking the Assassin's Creed franchise—in the past five months alone we've seen Black Flag, the mobile game Pirates, the HD remakes of Liberation, and an Assassin's Creed board game called Arena. Two new games this fall could add to Assassin's Creed's reputation as an overused series.

A few weeks ago, rumors about Unity popped up on the gaming forum NeoGAF, and were later corroborated by Examiner's Nicholas Gigante, who has been correct about Ubisoft-related rumors in the past. The gist: Unity is one of two Assassin's Creed games this fall; Unity is set during the French Revolution; Unity stars an assassin named Arno. This all matches up with rumblings we've heard in conversations with our own developer sources. It also meshes with the screenshots we've obtained (all posted below).

Last month, Assassin's Creed producer Jade Raymond told AdWeek that the next game in the franchise would be set during her "favorite historical era." A fake internal e-mail in last year's Assassin's Creed IV hinted at a number of potential historical settings for future games in the series, one of which was the French Revolution. Last year at E3, Ubisoft boss Yves Guillemot told Kotaku boss Stephen Totilo that they had three Assassin's Creeds in development.

You can see all of the leaked screenshots below. It's worth noting: these are early screenshots of an unfinished game. The final product will likely look different, and we hear the textures will look much better when Unity is out later this year. (Also, some of these city plazas will probably look less empty.)

One notable new feature: there are now buttons to "parkour" up and down. I hear this is part of a new Assassin's Creed navigation mechanic that will debut when Unity releases this fall.
Last edited by Riku Rose on Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Riku Rose has received 2 thanks from: OL, wude
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Re: Assassin's Creed: Unity (PS4/XB1)

Postby OL » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:27 pm

Cool. I was kind of hoping for this particular time period and setting. Makes a lot of sense.
The shots are a little bland and could use some serious spicing up, but of course this is early stuff so it's nothing to judge it by.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Sir JC Denton » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:29 pm

Very cool. I was waiting for news on the next one. Still not the feudal Japan time period that I've been DYING for, but this is cool in its own way. Hopefully theres a crouch button this time around.

Sir JC Denton has received a thanks from: Axm
Sir JC Denton
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Axm » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:15 pm

Same here. How they havent gotten into Asia yet, especially Japan is beyond me.
However I am glad they are going with new gameplay mechanics this time around. It was starting to get abit stale.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby OL » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:36 pm

The biggest reason they haven't gotten to Asia at all is because their whole "thing" with the series is to tread historical settings that haven't been touched upon much in videogames, and China and Japan don't really fit that bill. Both places have been covered quite a lot.
Nothing against those setting, by any means; there's never been an open-world game set in Japan quite in the vein of AC, so I'd love to see it myself. But that's the reason they haven't done it.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:50 pm

I'd like to see a video game in ancient India or ancient Russia, personally.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:07 pm

I thought the basis for one of the comic series was really cool, being set in 1800s Russia and all. Always thought that setting should have been used for one of the games. Good old snowy Leningrad would have been fun to run around in.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:27 pm

phpBB [video]

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Sir JC Denton » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:58 pm

OL wrote: The biggest reason they haven't gotten to Asia at all is because their whole "thing" with the series is to tread historical settings that haven't been touched upon much in videogames, and China and Japan don't really fit that bill. Both places have been covered quite a lot.
Nothing against those setting, by any means; there's never been an open-world game set in Japan quite in the vein of AC, so I'd love to see it myself. But that's the reason they haven't done it.

I hear what you're saying there, but I think if they did a game set in the time period in japan right after they opened up to the west ( i.e. The Last Samurai) I think they could justify it. Can't think of too many games set in that time period. Plus what would be cooler than Matthew Perry (the admiral, not the actor) being a templar with ulterior (sp?) motives for getting into Japan? Guns would not be that common despite the year because of how early in the time period it would be set. Thoughts?
Sir JC Denton
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:16 pm

How about England? We've never really truly appeared in a historic video game, just inspired a long line of fantasy/medieval type games.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:25 pm

Thief series, Sherlock Holmes series, then there's less obvious ones like: Final Fantasy Tactics storyline was based heavily on the War of the Roses (Lancashire vs York and other warring counties) & Dishonored is basically fashioned after Victorian era London.

Then there's the game Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War which is based on the France vs England war which even lets you save Joan of Arc from being burned at the stake, among other amusing moments.

I personally think we've been pretty well covered over the years [especially the Victorian era]. Maybe other eras from history have some untapped potential though, like the Edwardian era, that was a very interesting time.

Just thought of another one: the Byzantine Empire.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:36 pm

The Byzantines would cover a loooooong stretch of history. They touched upon then in Revelations though.
I actually thought England would have been the next stop after AC3 came out, just before AC4 was announced. I was hoping for maybe a game in London or thereabouts.

Sir JC Denton wrote:I hear what you're saying there, but I think if they did a game set in the time period in japan right after they opened up to the west ( i.e. The Last Samurai) I think they could justify it. Can't think of too many games set in that time period

Actually I think the original Way of the Samurai and Way of the Samurai 4 were set around that time period...

But yeah, personally, I think if they were to do Japan at all they should totally throw everyone for a loop and make it have nothing to do with samurai whatsoever. I say shoot for post-WWII Tokyo. Imagine the Japanese sect of Assassins being set up as a yakuza clan, bumping off bosses who actually represent the Templars trying to get a foothold in the Tokyo underworld.
Would be absolutely insane, and it'll never happen in a million years, but the thought intrigues me to no end. Would be totally unexpected compared to a same-old samurai story.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:26 am

Ok so finally some decent real gameplay has been shown off.

phpBB [video]

Honestly does look like they are implementing some new mechanics. The "stealth" mode (which basically just looks like crouching) seems like it will improve gameplay.
Also while I noticed some animations looked familiar, theirs been plenty of new animations added aswell. I can see they are really trying to do some new things here.
And while the "multiple" options on completing the mission looks convincing at first take, it also seems abit too scripted. They have been claiming the multiple routes thing since the begining and it's really have always been just 2 ways to go about it. Either fighting the guards head on or climbing around to not alert. This doesnt really seem like such a magical thing as they hype up in the walkthrough. But ill give it the benefit of the doubt and just wait for the reviews.
Seems like a step in the right direction though.
Unlike Rogue which is such an obvious quick money grab. They might aswell have made it an expansion pack to AC4..lord knows it''l have an HD re-release for PS4/XBO.
Besides that though, my faith in the series is atleast alittle bit restored, like by a 1/4th. I probably wont get this at launch but I can see it being a 6 month, wait till it goes down in price purchase.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Oppy » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:18 pm

This is a massive shame to hear, but it sounds like AC: Unity is runs like dogshit with terrible drops in framerate at times.
Bit of a letdown really espessially on the ps4 hardware that shouldnt have problems running 60fps for most games.

http://kotaku.com/assassins-creed-unity-just-doesnt-run-very-well-on-ps-1657617530
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: with your mums titties

Postby Axm » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:27 pm

That seals it. No way im playing it until its around 30 bucks. By then they'll have it patched up lord knows how many times and it'll be smoother. AC games never really ran incredibly smooth to begin with on last gen, but for this gen when the standard should be native 1080p not 900p and 60fps not sub 30. This is just dumb.
And this is exactly what happens when corporate doesnt want to delay the yearly money train.

Axm has received a thanks from: Oppy
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Next

Return to General Gaming