Eurogamer: 'Shenmue 3 as close to being announced.....

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Eurogamer: 'Shenmue 3 as close to being announced.....

Postby johnvivant » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:18 am

Eurogamer released an article today from a journalist who supposedly spoke to Suzuki at San Francisco's Moscone Centre.

"It was a slightly odd sensation to learn, through Suzuki's comments, that Shenmue III is more than just a dream. Suzuki said more than I'm able to fully disclose, unfortunately, but it became clear it's as close to being announced as it has ever been over the past decade."

Read Full Article

Related: EuroGamer Podcast Excerpt
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Re: Eurogamer: 'Shenmue 3 as close to being announced.....

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:46 am

I interpret that as, it's still not any closer to being released.

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: nskachu
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby johnvivant » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:02 am

maybe i'm misunderstanding the article, but isn't he saying that for the first time its seems that that one of his most requested games(shenmue 3) is going to be announced, yet he is unhappy at the prospect since he thinks that the game is going to be a disappointment?
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mue 26 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:20 am

That's exactly what he's saying John. Intriguing, I wonder what it was Suzuki revealed to him. Still, it's a shit article, exactly like the one someone posted a little while back. I hate that kind of logic. This guy in the comments section nailed it:

Sorry, but I really hate articles like this :( there was a similar one on Videogamer a few months ago. I just don't get the logic behind this point of view, and I think it's pretty selfish too. There are thousands of people like myself who ARE waiting for Shenmue 3, and one creator who, as you say, is determined to finish it.

I can't think of anything else as culturally important as Yu Suzuki being given the chance to finish his tale. All the "what if it's shite?" chat is irrelevant; Shenmue isn't Duke Nukem, a licence to be passed to the highest bidder, it's a personal journey by one creator, a rare and special thing.
Last edited by mue 26 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

mue 26 has received a thanks from: KiBa
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Mitsuzuki » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:21 am

That article reads like a tease. He intros it in a way that suggests an announcement is imminent, then says this:

it became clear it's as close to being announced as it has ever been over the past decade.

...which can really be taken either way. We've had hopes, but there's been nothing close to an official announcement as far as I can recall.
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby mue 26 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:27 am

^ In the context of the paragraph and overall article it would make no sense if the author was using it in that kind of way.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:52 am

Putting two and two together, it seems that it's a case of Suzuki revealing to him that he's actually pursuing Shenmue III as opposed to just waiting for SEGA to say "Yo, here's a shit ton of money. Go make it."
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby mue 26 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:21 am

You think something Kickstarter related? As that's referenced in the article as his "current best bet", and I'm guessing this was the same guy that got the interviewed where Yu said he was looking into kickstarter or something.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby blacktorn » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:26 am

i wonder what was revealed to him that he couldn't disclose to the rest of us..kinda infuriating to say something like that after many of us had our hopes up for some kind of reveal at the last GDC...rubbing salt into our wounds or what... :evil:

This article does however gives us a little bit more hope something is going to happen down the line but from what i understand the project of a shenmue 3/reboot hasn't begun and Yu is still looking for a partner to deal with,we're probably looking at fall 2016 at the earliest for anything being released.

I would expect half life 3 to at least be confirmed to be in development around the same time as the steam machines launches,valve used half life 2 to push steam out there so using half life 3 to push there steam os seems logical?

Also i would expect the last guardian to be accounted either this e3 or tgs to be a ps4 release...that will make shenmue 3 the last one to be announced.
blacktorn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Sonikku » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:32 am

This is it!

It's definitely possibly happening this time.

Sonikku has received 3 thanks from: KiBa, nskachu, Ziming
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby shenhua legend » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:14 pm

blacktorn wrote: Yu is still looking for a partner to deal with,we're probably looking at fall 2016 at the earliest for anything being released.

The question is: Is Sega OK with him searching a partner?, because Sega owns the IP.
shenhua legend
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Esppiral » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:37 pm

Esppiral has received 5 thanks from: el_clown, Kenny, Latin King, MiTT3NZ, Raithos
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby Ziming » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:39 pm

One of the user comments in response to the article:

"I think comparing Shenmue to Skyrim or GTA is completely wrong for numerous reasons. The article groups them together based on surface qualities (open world, lots of NPCs), and then assumes Shenmue wouldn't stand up against the other two. How wouldn't it? And how are the other two games more progressive? Just because they came out later, with bigger budgets?

GTA is a game about running errands for morons in cutscenes and blowing shit up and killing people. You cannot live in GTA's world; you have to destroy it. It's designed that way. Skyrim is a spreadsheet game about thousands of interchangeable NPCs, quests, and loot items. It's about low-level goal attainment and RPG stat building and a core loop of addictive play. I don't want to be addicted to a game. I don't want a game designed to manipulate me to keep me playing.

What about Shenmue? Shenmue is about co-existing with the environment. You don't blow up Yokosuka or Kowloon, you walk through their streets, talk to their residents, and follow leads in an amateur detective adventure. The gameplay varies between exploration, fighting, QTEs (done well!), mini-games, and context specific gameplay moments like the tape recorder sequence in Shenmue 2.

There's no repetitive mind-numbing violence in a Shenmue game the way there is in GTA, Uncharted, Gears of War, Bioshock, etc. Both games feature a handful of fighting sequences, and they are justified in a narrative context. Why is that somehow dated now, or bad? Just because the graphics are bad or the voice actors suck? Those are surface aesthetics, and they are irrelevant to whether the core game design is good or not."

Ziming has received 5 thanks from: Giorgio, johnvivant, KiBa, Ryo911, Yamagashi-San
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby ShenmueTree » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:56 pm

I don't understand the viewpoint of not doing a game because it ruins the myth.

Even if the game sucks, it does not make the first two suck.

ShenmueTree has received a thanks from: KiBa
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:20 pm

as close to being announced as it has ever been over the past decade

Well that says next to nothing. As close as it ever was could still mean that it's a 1:99.999 chance as opposed to the 1:100.000 chances it had in the past years.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Next

Return to News and Updates