Things you just noticed (recent playthroughs)

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Things you just noticed (recent playthroughs)

Postby YUmakemygame » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:21 am

--
Last edited by YUmakemygame on Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YUmakemygame
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby SlySpy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:58 am

In my most recent Shenmue 2 playthrough, I revisited the Dancing Dragon Building and not only did I realize that it not only connects to the buildings in the Dimsum Quarter, but it also has a plethora of majong parlors on the sixth floor. As one of the above posters also stated, I also discovered the Tiger Gate Kung Fu school. Lastly, I discovered three lucky hit stands in Kowloon which have to be beaten consecutively twice in order to get two hidden moves, Heel Sweep and Monkey Roll Drop. Those scrolls were a real pain in the ass to obtain, by the way.
SlySpy
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Fenix » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:35 am

I can go to Zhu YuanDa's office in Kowloon just the 1st day I arrive. But door's locked so I had to come back, lol.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby Chaikilla » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:51 pm

All those planks climbed for nothing ;(

On topic, when you defeat Chai at the arcade if Ryo goes home before 7PM there will be no sign of Fuku-San whatsoever. I found that interesting because I think his absence implies that he tailed Ryo, saw that everything was alright and went into town for a drink (jk).

Nah but it sort of makes sense since we all know that Fuku randomly appears if Chai beats your ass.

Chaikilla has received a thanks from: KX-5
Chaikilla
Master of the Three Blades

Postby BlueMue » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:37 pm

While you're trying to find Ren at Pigeon Park you can stay up well beyond the 11 pm limit.

You can just wander around until 2 am, then Ryo will automatically jump to the fountain and the cutscene triggers. After Ren and his gang ran away you can then stay up until 4 am and then Ryo finally decides it's bedtime.

What's really strange is that you cannot go to sleep by yourself. There is no sleep option at Wong's boat while you're searching for Ren.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby KX-5 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:14 pm

RicoDredd wrote: I noticed the game is still boring as it was in 1999.

Then why in the living hell are you on a forum dedicated to it if you don't like it?

KX-5 has received a thanks from: CodingGenesis
KX-5
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: Shadow_Exodus
Currently playing: L.A. Noire

Postby KX-5 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:36 pm

I think this is probably just an over observation on my end, so if this sounds stupid I apologize. But after Shenmue 1's opening scene I noticed something a bit peculiar. As most of us know, there is a letter in Iwao's room to Ryo. Ryo concludes that his father must have known Lan Di was coming for him. But in the opening cinematic when Lan Di brings up Sun Ming Zhao, Iwao is REALLY surprised when he realizes who Lan Di really is. I kind of just feel like Iwao was expecting someone else to come for the mirrors, but not Sun Ming Zhao's kid. A different member of the Chi You Men? (perhaps the old man?) No, I'm not trying to suggest a new theory or anything, just something I've personally noticed over the last few months or so. Thoughts guys?

KX-5 has received a thanks from: CodingGenesis
KX-5
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby KX-5 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:41 pm

nskachu wrote: Hello Dojo,

this topic is there for us to name things that we just have noticed which we haven't before when playing Shenmue because as you know this game is so detailed that one can not see everything in just one playthrough.
What I have just noticed is for example that the moves' teachers say different things when you perform the techniques without all the instruction given. Something else I noticed is that in the credits Hong Xiu Ying's voice actor is named although Xiu Ying never actually appears in the first part(Or does she ?). Also, I never knew one could even join that motorcyclefanatics gang :D

What have you just recently noticed?

I think Xiuying's voice actor is listed in the first game because Xiuying shows up on the passport disc explaining one of the games systems, though I can't remember which one she talks about. I haven't used my passport disc in YEAAAARS >.>

KX-5 has received a thanks from: Supa
KX-5
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby KX-5 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:44 pm

Chaikilla wrote: All those planks climbed for nothing ;(

On topic, when you defeat Chai at the arcade if Ryo goes home before 7PM there will be no sign of Fuku-San whatsoever. I found that interesting because I think his absence implies that he tailed Ryo, saw that everything was alright and went into town for a drink (jk).

Nah but it sort of makes sense since we all know that Fuku randomly appears if Chai beats your ass.

Oh wow, I never even thought to try going back to the house after you beat Chai in the arcade. That's a REALLY great observation! Heh, and I think Fuku-san probably DID go for that drink, he does have a crush on that Akimi chick in Yokosuka Bar after all ;)

KX-5 has received a thanks from: Chaikilla
KX-5
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby CodingGenesis » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:46 am

KX-5 wrote:
I think this is probably just an over observation on my end, so if this sounds stupid I apologize. But after Shenmue 1's opening scene I noticed something a bit peculiar. As most of us know, there is a letter in Iwao's room to Ryo. Ryo concludes that his father must have known Lan Di was coming for him. But in the opening cinematic when Lan Di brings up Sun Ming Zhao, Iwao is REALLY surprised when he realizes who Lan Di really is. I kind of just feel like Iwao was expecting someone else to come for the mirrors, but not Sun Ming Zhao's kid. A different member of the Chi You Men? (perhaps the old man?) No, I'm not trying to suggest a new theory or anything, just something I've personally noticed over the last few months or so. Thoughts guys?

Indeed. Now that you mention it, it does seem a bit odd. Sure, the letter sounds like Iwao knew someone would come for him, but the surprise that it is Lan Di and who he is, puts this into a new perspective, at least for me.

CodingGenesis has received a thanks from: KX-5
CodingGenesis
Rockman X

PSN: CodingGenesis
Currently playing: Changes on a daily basis.

Postby Chaikilla » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:49 pm

Ah, yes. This is also something I just noticed on my last playthrough http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxzcaQv-C0A
Chaikilla

Postby Zeke_ » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:00 pm

I just started to play Japanese copy of US Shenmue and I tought that in this version of game dialog would be in english and all text in japanese (including the notebook entrys). This makes game a bit harder to play, but I only have jap version of the DC at the moment so I can't play my copy of Pal version.

However i accidentaly pressed the start button during the cutsene and that changed both the subtitles and notebook entrys into english! I had no idea of this option and its not mentioned in the option screen? Now its lot easier to enjoy game and follow the hints :)
Zeke_
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Currently playing: Far Cry 3

Previous

Return to Shenmue