Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Re: My Shenmue Origin Story Video

Postby ShenSun » Mon May 05, 2014 7:21 am

Awesome video James. More Shenmue discussion videos please. :)

But yeh, I got into Shenmue when it was first released in Japan. I use to spend most of my time at my cousins house when i was younger. My Auntie's boyfriend had a japanese dreamcast and got Shenmue. Me being a pretty hardcore gamer, i was blown away at how different it was compared to everything else on the market. I had a little play of it and promised to get it as soon as the pal version was released.

Anyway to cut a long story short, i got Shenmue and was absolutely mesmerized by it. So much so that i threw Final fantasy X to the side and never returned to it. I think I completed Shenmue 1 about 40+ without ever getting bored. Ive never done this before for any game.

When Shenmue 2 was released, I ran home from school on a Friday evening and sat there and played non stop all the way until sunday afternoon. NO SLEEP :)

I was blown away yet again. I remember thinking that videogames are going to be awesome in the future once they go in the same direction as Shenmue. How wrong was I? Damn FPS games :)

Cheers for the vid.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby shengoro86 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:53 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

I have a ton of shenmue related videos on my channel. youtube.com/lordcanti

Yeah shenmue did the same for me too, Ithrew a ton of games ot the side for it.

Yes FPS games did kind of make the industry go off in a tangent haha.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby DreamcastPast » Tue May 06, 2014 1:46 pm

Great video James, really entertaining!

I got into Shenmue aged 29 as soon as I brought a Dreamcast in 2000. I'd just moved house after a big 6 year relationship split, so had plenty of time to spare and emotions were up and down, it just came at the right time for me. I'd get home late at night from my shift work, the house was quiet, it was dark outside, I'd put on Shenmue and relax into it. I have said the same in the past; when I first stepped outside the Hazuki main gate and heard the freeroam music I felt the potential depth of Shenmue, I could feel it would be emotional too. I just stood still and listened for a while, looking round, seeing a cat down to the right of me. Many times I'd wake up at 1 or 2 o'clock in the morning having fallen asleep in front of the TV, clutching the controller, to see the first person view out of the forklift of a wall that had stopped me as I'd nodded off whilst moving crates in Yokosuka! I too felt like this was a place I was visiting rather than playing a game... Hanging around Dobuita at night around Christmas, seeing the drunk Santa, taking my time with it all, soaking it in, checking out as much as I could about the people 'living' in these new places I found myself.

It was at this time I put Shenmue down for a while, for no other reason than the bug when working in Yokosuka. I believe it only affects the Pal version. A necessary cut scene couldn't be triggered if you delivered the crates by driving the 'wrong' route to and from the warehouse, so you'd find yourself in this endless loop of crate delivery. I worked in Yokosuka for perhaps 2 weeks (real life weeks!). Anyhow, not having the internet back then I couldn't get past it and eventually sold my DC and Shenmue. Some years later I re-bought them after finding the solution (you had to drive the route past the white van at least once to trigger the needed scene) and eventually completed it, then tracked down a copy of Shenmue II and the rest is history...

Like you I was already into Japan by the time Shenmue came out, but Shenmue really hammered home my interest in all things Nihon. Both games have left a massive lasting impression with me, like most people here. Sometimes I feel a bit odd about attributing so much to a game, but that's just how it is...

DreamcastPast has received a thanks from: shengoro86
DreamcastPast
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby _StreetSonic_ » Tue May 13, 2014 10:00 pm

I got into Shenmue from one of those gaming magazines before the game came out. I was obsessed after reading the article and looking at the pictures. I got Shenmue as soon as I could after it was released. It did not disappoint!

_StreetSonic_ has received a thanks from: shengoro86
_StreetSonic_
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Return to Shenmue