What if Shenmue games had continued to be made?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

What if Shenmue games had continued to be made?

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue May 13, 2014 12:48 am

What if this whole time, Yu had been continuing his original vision, and made Shenmue 3 and beyond? What do you think that would have been like? Lets say maybe at this point in time, they were finishing the final chapters and what if it was coming out on a current gen platform? How many hours of enjoyment would we have gotten from all of those games at this point in time? How much talk and theorizing about the story would have come and gone? Not to mention all the talk about the game itself, exploration, bugs and glitches, mods etc? How even more quality would this place have been? Man, I really wish we had gotten to experience that. Hell, Sega may have still been in the console business if that had happened as well. Why cant everything that deserves to succeed, do so?

I just really feel had this series continued, it would hold such an even deeper place with me at this point, and it would have a sacred cult following, and held up as absolute niche gold, kind of like how it is now, but on steroids. I really would have liked to see what Yu would bring to the table through the progressions of this series, what he would have changed and improved with each game as time went on. There is just so many things and what ifs that I think would be fascinating to know. Idk maybe I just think about weird shit lol

AnimeGamer183 has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, ys
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Re: What if Shenmue games had continued to be made?

Postby shenmuefan98881 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:49 pm

Shenmue 3 would have been Ryo fighting with Lan Di's organazation for control of the mirrors.
Shenmue 4 would have seen Lan Di go to Japan to kidnap Ryo's family and Nazomi and Ryo rescuing them.
Shenmue 5 would have been the final confrontation and maybe a nice wrap-up final chapter where Ryo goes all over Japan and China to try and attone for all the destruction left in his wake and maybe Nazomi and Shenhua would treat him to a threesome.

IDK this is my best guess but Yu Suzuki could have done much better!
shenmuefan98881
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Axm » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:43 am

We certainly would have alot more merchandise to collect. We'd have a fanbase that at this point would be looking to Yu Suzuki for what next big follow up IP he's working on. We'd all certainly have alot more respect in the gaming community. We wouldnt have ignorant people out there who think the game is about sailors and cats.

Axm has received 4 thanks from: CodingGenesis, FlagshipFighter, Giorgio, YUmakemygame
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Fenix » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:22 am

The saga would have ended maybe these years. Between 2012 and 2014.

Or maybe not because as far as we know, Shenmue had to expand the saga to chapter 16 and Chi You Men's episode finishes in chapter IX or X. In chapter XI, Ryo starts a new journey.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:42 pm

We would surely have known the joys of playing a Shenmue "water level." Water levels are notoriously hard levels to play.

But in all seriousness I think the series would be well finished by now. And depending on how much success we're hypothetically giving the series it could have altered the future of video games more than just QTEs. I still think Shenmue was cutting edge in the way Yu created a world and allowed the player to explore it. The ability to go up to any door and at least knock or open any cabinet was fascinating to me. It added nothing to the story but it really enhanced the immersion in the world. Today's video game culture has to have the protagonist with a gun, super powers or a fast car. I thought following leads and finding clues in Shenmue was exhilarating. No super powers required.

Another question that begs asking is: When Ryo's journey was finished and his father's death had been avenged, would Sega/Yu have ended the Shenmue series or would they come up with some new adventure for Ryo to go on? It seems like now days video game/movie/book/TV show producers can't let a series end. They either make up new stories or do prequels or whatever it takes to get another paycheck. Let's just take our hypothetical to the extreme...say Shenmue became wildly popular and its popularity rivaled Final Fantasy, GTA or Uncharted. Could Sega just let the story end? Would Wong have taken Ryo's mantel and go on some grand adventure? Would Ryo go to Canada to find Nozomi only to discover she's been taken by whoever takes people in Canada? Or would we play from a villain's perspective and see Chai live out his dream of playing Gollum in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings?

elfshadowreaper has received 2 thanks from: CodingGenesis, YUmakemygame
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby YUmakemygame » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:07 pm

--
Last edited by YUmakemygame on Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YUmakemygame has received a thanks from: CodingGenesis
YUmakemygame
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:37 pm

I too was disappointed in Heavy Rain. I never got a ps3 so I finally borrowed one and bought the game. I avoided spoilers and expected some mega twist but I was let down. Probably because I knew there was a twist. It wasn't as immersive like everyone made it out to be. It was pretty much "Here's a room, look around it. Oh, that door? Just stick to the room." So even though it was a beautiful looking game the immersion wasn't shenmue level.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Locke_cole » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:15 pm

Pretty positive Shenmue 4 would of been a prequel about TOM becoming a hotdog vendor
Locke_cole
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ys » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:16 pm

YUmakemygame wrote:I've played hundreds of games in my lifetime (since the 80's) and I can't think of a single one that is as immersive and as intoxicating as Shenmue.

Likewise. I also started playing games then and could at most place a few other games in the same category when it comes to immersiveness. Still, Shenmue has something extra.

elfshadowreaper wrote: I too was disappointed in Heavy Rain... So even though it was a beautiful looking game the immersion wasn't shenmue level.

Yeah, it felt much more limited and not even close to feeling as alive or "real".

Locke_cole wrote: Pretty positive Shenmue 4 would of been a prequel about TOM becoming a hotdog vendor

Don't forget though that they might have to make the concept more "street" these days. Based on the latest market research with target audiences of course. So we could keep that idea but change it subtly so Tom is actually selling "hot dogs" at night leading to all sorts of shenanigans.

Locke_cole wrote:If you are not
AXM, Santino , Darkside, Juan Fran, Whiteshadow, Ryudo, yukio, khien, hei long, iden, k prime, rhayno, the ronin, brotherman, qwerty, baystone,springchick, snoopbob, darkly,DanH,yusuke, funky dave, master kyodai, chaiogawa,peter, ziming, Samanosuke Akechi,araviel, drporkchop, jc denton, lan dc, taolishao, asnozz, Mitt3nz, choinkees,sam2ps2,animegamer,asnozz,myles,sonikku,ash, dragonslayer88,trunks,silentkiller,ys, bysby,pikecon,or bambi.....

Then you are an idiot!

Why quote this?
1. From that list, I wonder if a couple of those who don't post regularly ever lurk here from time to time.
2. It's always great to get certain things confirmed.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:03 pm

In a alternative world the dreamcast and Shenmue took over gaming similar to PS1/final fantasy in the previous generation... by now, we would complaining how the series has been over saturated with games and reboots :lol:
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mue 26 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:57 pm

Locke_cole wrote: Pretty positive Shenmue 4 would of been a prequel about TOM becoming a hotdog vendor

And it would have been the best entry in the saga.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Return to Shenmue III