E3 Excitement?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: E3 Excitement?

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri May 23, 2014 3:53 pm

Well, Microsoft just registered a Phantom Dust trademark in Europe:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=824173

Phantom Dust 2 just seems likely now since the original never got released in EU, so...

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Kenny » Fri May 23, 2014 6:14 pm

Sonikku wrote: I would argue that "breaking away" from the rail shooter to a zelda themed game is probably too far of an evolution. Star Fox was always at its best when it centered around an Arwing and any evolution should extend from that. All range mode is a big part of Star Fox as well, so it isn't like it's all rails all the time with no freedom.

But I'm not arguing for it to be another Zelda-like adventure. I'm arguing for the series to go from on-rails air action to free-roaming air action, much like the Rouge Squadron series but on a much grander scale.

So in essence I'm agreeing with you. That's exactly what Star Fox needs to do because that's what people prefer. People want badass aviation action, not on-foot missions. We have plenty of those already in other games, give us a high quality space shooter like the original SNES and N64 games and we'll be happy.

But I have also issues with the series since the N64 game like the design changes. I never liked the way Fox looked after his N64 incarnation, which was modeled after the puppet from the SNES game. He looked like he was wearing eyeliner in SFA, then his head looked too big in Assault. Not to mention the inclusion of Krystal as an Arwing pilot which seemed out of place (the Dalmatian and Lynx characters in Star Fox 2 also seemed out of place).

But the core issue is not enough space battles. They just need to fix that and they'll have a pretty cool game. If they fix all the other little issues, they'll have a game on par with the previous entries.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Raithos » Sat May 24, 2014 2:03 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: My most anticipated game at E3 is X for Wii U.

Same here. There's not much else I'm looking forward to, other than things we have tons of details on already and Persona 5.

Raithos has received a thanks from: AnimeGamer183
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby lavrentis » Mon May 26, 2014 9:08 am

The only thing I will give a shit about is Shenmue 3.

The only game I ever play now is FIFA. I've become what I used to hate.
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon May 26, 2014 3:13 pm

^ But your hand was forced due to the situations in gaming since last gen.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:14 pm

Twitch TV's E3 streaming schedule (lots of unannounced games listed by publishers)

http://blog.twitch.tv/2014/06/twitch-br ... le-for-e3/

2:30pm – Bethesda (Unannounced title)
10:00am – Deep Silver (Unannounced title)
10:15am – Deep Silver (Unannounced title)
11:00am – Ubisoft (Unannounced title)
12:20pm – Microsoft Studios (Unannounced title)
12:40pm – Microsoft Studios (Unannounced title)
2:40pm – Nintendo (Unannounced title)
11:20am – Microsoft Studios (Unannounced title)
1:00pm – EA (Unannounced title)
2:10pm – Nintendo (Unannounced title)
2:30pm – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (Unannounced title)
2:50pm – Crytek (Unannounced title)
SCEA (Unannounced PS4/PS3 title)
SCEA (Unannounced PS4/PS Vita Digital title)
11:20am – Microsoft Studios (TBD)
12:00pm – Nintendo (Unannounced title)
12:20am – Square Enix (Unannounced title)
2:00pm – Ubisoft (Unannounced title)
2:40pm – Nintendo (Unannounced title)
3:00pm – Tecmo Koei (Unannounced title)

17 "unannounced" (actually some of these are most likely games we know about) titles in total (I bolded them) if we're going to assume all of these are unique. From these publishers (ordered by most titles to least): Nintendo (4), Microsoft Studios (3), Deep Silver (2), Ubisoft (2), Square Enix (2), Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (2), SCEA (2 "Unannounced PS4/PS3 title" and "Unannounced PS4/PS Vita Digital title"), Bethesda (1), Crytek (1), EA (1) and Tecmo Koei (1)

Looks like Nintendo and Microsoft have a lot under wraps. :eekyum:
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby CodingGenesis » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:22 pm

Ironically, this year I wanted to watch the live streams of E3 for the first time ever, but, of all years, I won't be around EXACTLY at the time of E3 and I won't have internet access either. So for me it will just be going online the Tuesday after and reading the headlines. :sad:
CodingGenesis
Rockman X
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: CodingGenesis
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Changes on a daily basis.

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:07 pm

But no mention of sega in all that. I am still very curious to see what is going to be unveiled. Seems like they are using E3 to actually announce games again, instead of just show off what was already announced like many of the years after the format change to E3.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:15 pm

SEGA? LOL. Forget about them. Capcom and Konami too, for that matter. I'm afraid those three are merely shadows of their former selves nowadays.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Giorgio
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:16 pm

Shadows who still own IPs that we all love. It may be questionable whether they'll actually do things with them that we want, but there's always hope for something better either way.
Street Fighter is still great anyway. Really looking forward to Ultra SFIV.

OL has received 2 thanks from: CodingGenesis, Giorgio
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby CodingGenesis » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:18 pm

Me, too.
CodingGenesis
Rockman X

Postby Ziming » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:57 pm

OL wrote: Shadows who still own IPs that we all love. It may be questionable whether they'll actually do things with them that we want, but there's always hope for something better either way.
Street Fighter is still great anyway. Really looking forward to Ultra SFIV.

Here is something Street Fighter related if you haven't seen it already. 12 episodes all together.

phpBB [video]
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby OL » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:06 am

I actually tried to watch that, but just couldn't get through it. Something about Street Fighter in live-action just never seems to work for me. The Ryu's always look too puny, the Ken's always look too goofy (goldilocks and all). Wish it worked out better, but I have yet to see anything that does.

On that note, when are we getting another SF anime? The 90s SFII movie was awesome, the early-2000s SF Alpha OVA was quality all around... With all its anime-style endings and whatnot, it seems like SFIV ought to be primed and ready for a movie or series.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby CodingGenesis » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:41 am

Well, there is quite a lot of anime material regarding Street Fighter. I take the freedom to list them since you only mentioned two movies. :)

- First there was the big movie "Street Fighter II - The Animated Movie" in 1994. Just awesome!
- Then there is an animated series consisting of 29 episodes, "Street Fighter II V", also from 1994. Great series.
- Next on the list is "Street Fighter Zero" ("Street Fighter Alpha" in the West) which sucked as hell in my humble opinion.
- After that we were given a somewhat good movie again, called "Street Fighter Alpha Generations". It's okay.
- And of course the movie that came with the special edition of Street Fighter IV, called "Street Fighter IV: The Ties That Bind".
- Last but not least we got two movies called "Street Fighter Round One: Fight!" and "Street Fighter The New Challengers" whicht to my understanding are a compilation of some Udon comics.

(I did not mention the US cartoon series of Street Fighter on purpose. Well, now I kinda did.)
CodingGenesis
Rockman X

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:37 am

So um... the E3 Press conferences start today, and this place is a ghost town. This is unusual, anyway the MS conference is going on now, but unfortunately I have to go into work now. I hope there will be plenty of discussion later...
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming