E3 Excitement?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

E3 Excitement?

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed May 21, 2014 6:19 pm

So, this will undoubtedly be the best E3 in ages, I think. We will finally what so many developers have been keeping under wraps for so long now, there's been radio silence off a LOT of them for ages now, hasn't there?

Anyone have any predictions, since it's only a couple of weeks away now. I'll allow stuff from people who don't attend/show off stuff at E3 but either instead do it just before or afterwards normally (such as Rockstar and Nintendo).

Leaks/rumours so far that I have seen around the net:

From Software's new game (Project Beast - a new Souls series?)
New Tomb Raider
Deus Ex: Universe (Human Revolution follow up)
Final Fantasy XV
Suda51's new games (plural)
Retro Studios new game (supposedly a dormant Nintendo IP - probably either Metroid, F-Zero or Star Fox)
Resident Evil 7
Ni-Oh
Phantom Dust 2

No doubt going to be there:

Batman: Arkham Knight
Mirror's Edge 2
Metal Gear Solid 5
Assassin's Creed 5 (it's annual now, right?)
Zelda
Quantum Break (so excited to see this one)
Generic war shooter #51

Maybe/maybe not:

Fatal Frame V
Gravity Rush 2
Zelda Musou
The Last Guardian (lol...)
Sleeping Dogs 2 (AKA Triad Wars)
New Mario

Hopes and dreams [never happening in this timeline; always get carried with this part]:

Mystical Ninja/Goemon revival
Mischief Makers 2
Star Fox 64-2
Shenmue 3
Growlanser VII
Vagrant Story 2
Final Fantasy Tactics 3DS
Metal Gear AC!D 3 (Vita)
New MegaTen spin off
Front Mission 4+5 HD
FFXII HD
Matsuno's new game (whatever it is)
The Silver Case (3DS/Vita)
Lots of horror games/detective games/2D Japanese games/tactical RPGs

Henry Spencer has received 3 thanks from: Axm, mue 26, Thief
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Re: E3 Excitement?

Postby mue 26 » Wed May 21, 2014 7:08 pm

Zelda Musou ya know. Cha!
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sonikku » Wed May 21, 2014 7:43 pm

I hear you on the whole "Games that need to happen but never will" list. They seriously need to do a true sequel to Star Fox 64. Not some reboot of the same thing with new textures (and NO new content...) no "spin offs" or Zelda themed games with fox, no lame ass "on foot with a gun" level shit. No fly-with-a-stylus-awkwardly RTS game. Just good ol' on the rails shooter fun in an Ar-Wing and nothing but hilarious voice acting and epic boss battles. And when people and critics bemoan "OMG The rails... THE RAILS!!" I will point their way towards Star Fox Assault on Gamecube. There. No rails to be had there idiots. :???:

Star Fox 64 was a huge seller for the N64. There was one proven model of Star Fox that really succeeded, and Nintendo avoids that model like the plague. Why nintendo seems so stingy with making a true sequel to the series when they're always so starved for games, I don't know. Just a mario churning machine these days.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Mitsuzuki » Wed May 21, 2014 8:10 pm

I'm excited because I have a feeling there will be things the big three will be showcasing that haven't been leaked yet. Last year was about console reveals, this year will be about the games.

I doubt we'll see anything about TLG or Shenmue, but I bet there will be a lot of stuff to get hyped about.

I'd like to hear more about Morpheus, Halo, and even a crumb about a new Gears game would be awesome.
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby Thief » Wed May 21, 2014 8:34 pm

I'm getting a very strong Metroid vibe for some reason. I believe.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Wed May 21, 2014 8:37 pm

I can take video and pictures for you guys if you want.

I'm definitely going to be meeting up with the guys at DiCE about Mirror's Edge 2 for personal reasons but also excited to see MGS5.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Wed May 21, 2014 10:42 pm

Hoping to hear something on Gravity Rush 2. No clue if it'll be there, but it's a hope.
At the moment I'm also in another really big Guilty Gear mood, so I'm hoping to hear something about Guilty Gear Xrd's console release. That almost seems more like something we'd hear out of TGS or something though, so I'm not exactly positive that it'll happen.

As for stuff I wish would happen but never will: I'd pass on a Vagrant Story 2, just because Matsuno probably wouldn't be involved. But I think some kind of HD remake of the original could be amazing.

I'd also like to see Yoshiki Okamoto kick down a door pounding his chest, saying he's back in the console racket and working on a new game. That man's a legend, and he really should still be working as a major player right now. Still a bummer what happened with Game Republic.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Thu May 22, 2014 7:23 am

Want To See More Of:
Evil Within
Batman Arkham Knight
New Ace Attorney
Assassin's Creed Unity
D4
The Division
Final Fantasy XV
Kingdom Hearts III
Mirror's Edge 2
Persona 5
Quantum Break
Rime
Uncharted 4

Hope To See:
New Zelda
New Star Fox
Last Guardian
Game Of Thrones (Telltale)

It would be awesome if we did a chat room like a few years ago as that was a laugh.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu May 22, 2014 1:01 pm

^I'm definitely up for having a chat in the SD Chatroom, Riku. Unfortunately there probably won't be as many exploding choppers, but maybe another running theme with games this year instead? :)

Oh shit yeah - SWERY's new game, D4 is another one.

Kenny, if you meet Kojima, make sure that he knows that you are the right person for the job! Metal Gear movie directed by a Dojo-er. Especially one who is as big a Metal Gear nut as myself. Just seems right.

Sonikku wrote:I hear you on the whole "Games that need to happen but never will" list. They seriously need to do a true sequel to Star Fox 64. Not some reboot of the same thing with new textures (and NO new content...) no "spin offs" or Zelda themed games with fox, no lame ass "on foot with a gun" level shit. No fly-with-a-stylus-awkwardly RTS game. Just good ol' on the rails shooter fun in an Ar-Wing and nothing but hilarious voice acting and epic boss battles. And when people and critics bemoan "OMG The rails... THE RAILS!!" I will point their way towards Star Fox Assault on Gamecube. There. No rails to be had there idiots. :???:

Star Fox 64 was a huge seller for the N64. There was one proven model of Star Fox that really succeeded, and Nintendo avoids that model like the plague. Why nintendo seems so stingy with making a true sequel to the series when they're always so starved for games, I don't know. Just a mario churning machine these days.

THANK YOU! It really irks me that people just rewrite history as they see fit (something something NeoGAF): Star Fox can sell well if given the right platform to do it on. They may as well make one for Wii U, since the range of software is basically just Mario and more Mario; they may as well diversify it a bit and encourage old school Nintendo fans to buy the system. It isn't like Nintendo have much else lined up now anyway, so they might as well do it and Donkey Kong was another series that never really sold anywhere near Mario or Zelda levels and that got revived.

Miyamoto even has spoken in favour of it a few times, don't know if it's the board or Iwata holding the series back. And I love rail shooters and those people who moan about the games being rail shooters aren't fans of the series in the first place. Assault was disappointing and Adventures just wasn't Star Fox. As for the DS game, never played, no doubt i will at some point being the big fan of Star Fox that I am (as in a glutton for punishment).

OL wrote:As for stuff I wish would happen but never will: I'd pass on a Vagrant Story 2, just because Matsuno probably wouldn't be involved. But I think some kind of HD remake of the original could be amazing.

I don't know. Matsuno was brought back for the Tactics Ogre PSP remake, so it isn't as unlikely as you might think.

OL wrote:I'd also like to see Yoshiki Okamoto kick down a door pounding his chest, saying he's back in the console racket and working on a new game. That man's a legend, and he really should still be working as a major player right now. Still a bummer what happened with Game Republic.

I'd like to see that just so we can have more amazing interviews. But yeah, it's a tragedy what happened to him. Did you know that Mikami actually picked up most of those guys from Game Republic and took them to work at Tango Gameworks, currently on The Evil Within? The reason being that Mikami and Okamoto were friends during their Capcom days and those people from Game Republic were former Capcom devs anyways. Thought that was really cool of Mikami to do that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tango_Gameworks#Staff

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: Kenny, OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Thu May 22, 2014 3:39 pm

Yeah, I'd read that much of The Evil Within dev team is old Game Republic carryover. Pretty cool, and as shallow a reason as it may be, that actually makes me want to play The Evil Within more (I'm really only half-excited over the game otherwise).

Oh shit, you know what would be another great announcement?
Final Fantasy XII HD.
Who knows if they even have plans for it, but that would be beautiful as hell if they were. Gimme the international edition (new game+!) all smoothed out and prettier, and I'll play it twice through consecutively.

OL has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Thu May 22, 2014 5:56 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:Kenny, if you meet Kojima, make sure that he knows that you are the right person for the job! Metal Gear movie directed by a Dojo-er. Especially one who is as big a Metal Gear nut as myself. Just seems right.

Hah! If I was offered the job, I'd definitely turn it down. I'm too much of a fanboy to do it proper justice. The most I would do is a fan film based on one of my favorite scenes in the entire series, but only purely for my enjoyment.

But if I meet Kojima, I'll definitely turn retarded and drool all over myself like an idiot.

Henry Spencer wrote:
Sonikku wrote:I hear you on the whole "Games that need to happen but never will" list. They seriously need to do a true sequel to Star Fox 64. Not some reboot of the same thing with new textures (and NO new content...) no "spin offs" or Zelda themed games with fox, no lame ass "on foot with a gun" level shit. No fly-with-a-stylus-awkwardly RTS game. Just good ol' on the rails shooter fun in an Ar-Wing and nothing but hilarious voice acting and epic boss battles. And when people and critics bemoan "OMG The rails... THE RAILS!!" I will point their way towards Star Fox Assault on Gamecube. There. No rails to be had there idiots. :???:

THANK YOU! It really irks me that people just rewrite history as they see fit (something something NeoGAF): Star Fox can sell well if given the right platform to do it on. They may as well make one for Wii U, since the range of software is basically just Mario and more Mario; they may as well diversify it a bit and encourage old school Nintendo fans to buy the system. It isn't like Nintendo have much else lined up now anyway, so they might as well do it and Donkey Kong was another series that never really sold anywhere near Mario or Zelda levels and that got revived.

Miyamoto even has spoken in favour of it a few times, don't know if it's the board or Iwata holding the series back. And I love rail shooters and those people who moan about the games being rail shooters aren't fans of the series in the first place. Assault was disappointing and Adventures just wasn't Star Fox. As for the DS game, never played, no doubt i will at some point being the big fan of Star Fox that I am (as in a glutton for punishment).

I have no issue with Star Fox being a rail shooter, but for the benefit of the series it needs to breakaway and evolve into something more free-roaming.

Especially if you include very Star Wars-like moments (let's be honest, it's a huge influence) like navigating inside a Death Star-sized space station, blowing up the core, and getting the hell out. Come to think of it, that was the ending for Star Fox 64! Just take that shit and make it bigger.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Axm » Thu May 22, 2014 6:11 pm

All bets on The Last Guardian still not being shown!

Looking forward to alot of other games.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu May 22, 2014 8:36 pm

My most anticipated game at E3 is X for Wii U. I am hoping to see some other announcements from some good devs. Also stuff already mentioned above FF15, KH3, Zelda, MGS5. Maybe Persona 5? Yakuza? Hopefully some good news from XSEED about Trails or some other cool new announcements? I wanna see more stuff on Vita and 3DS coming west as well.

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: Raithos
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri May 23, 2014 11:36 am

I doubt we'll see Persona 5 there (I mean, it'd definitely be nice, but still), or anything Atlus Japan related; I'd wait for TGS for that. They are also holding a 25th Anniversary event in November this year, and have been hyping it up a lot, which probably means more game announcements off them there.

X for Wii U will probably get a nice trailer.

And yeah, I'm not holding out for The Last Guardian anymore, if it comes out, fine I'll play it sometime, but the hype is officially dead for that game now.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Fri May 23, 2014 3:37 pm

Kenny wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:Kenny, if you meet Kojima, make sure that he knows that you are the right person for the job! Metal Gear movie directed by a Dojo-er. Especially one who is as big a Metal Gear nut as myself. Just seems right.

Hah! If I was offered the job, I'd definitely turn it down. I'm too much of a fanboy to do it proper justice. The most I would do is a fan film based on one of my favorite scenes in the entire series, but only purely for my enjoyment.

But if I meet Kojima, I'll definitely turn retarded and drool all over myself like an idiot.

Henry Spencer wrote:

I have no issue with Star Fox being a rail shooter, but for the benefit of the series it needs to breakaway and evolve into something more free-roaming.

Especially if you include very Star Wars-like moments (let's be honest, it's a huge influence) like navigating inside a Death Star-sized space station, blowing up the core, and getting the hell out. Come to think of it, that was the ending for Star Fox 64! Just take that shit and make it bigger.

I would argue that "breaking away" from the rail shooter to a zelda themed game is probably too far of an evolution. Star Fox was always at its best when it centered around an Arwing and any evolution should extend from that. All range mode is a big part of Star Fox as well, so it isn't like it's all rails all the time with no freedom.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Next

Return to General Gaming