Destiny

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Destiny

Postby Axm » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:52 pm

This can be used to discuss all things Destiny.

Im in the middle of installing the Beta client right now. The hype is so real.
Thinking ill roll a Warlock first and then Hunter or Titan second. I really wanna find out what class works best for me during this so when launch comes around I can start a character in confidence.

I played the Alpha aswell and that was awesome. The game combines just the right amount of Borderlands and Halo elements and I have a feeling ill be playing this game for years along Halo MC collection.

Axm has received a thanks from: Yama
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Re: Destiny

Postby Mitsuzuki » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:35 am

I've started as a Hunter. I'm tempted to try the other two classes, but I'll likely ride this one out until the end of the Beta.

Done the first two missions so far. Overall, I really like the art direction and general scope of the game. It feels ambitious and full of breadth. The level-ups are great and I enjoy scavenging for materials. I also like how you're on a mission and you suddenly find a group of other people whom you can choose to join up with or carry on doing your own thing.

Oh, and the music... dat music. So good.

Mitsuzuki has received a thanks from: Axm
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby Peter » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:14 am

Will pick up an Xbox towards the end of the year and really looking forward to this

Peter has received a thanks from: Axm
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Axm » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:19 am

Mitsuzuki wrote: I've started as a Hunter. I'm tempted to try the other two classes, but I'll likely ride this one out until the end of the Beta.

Done the first two missions so far. Overall, I really like the art direction and general scope of the game. It feels ambitious and full of breadth. The level-ups are great and I enjoy scavenging for materials. I also like how you're on a mission and you suddenly find a group of other people whom you can choose to join up with or carry on doing your own thing.

Oh, and the music... dat music. So good.

Same, I think the art, graphics, sound and scope of it all are just so top tier. You can just tell it's a Bungie game when you look at anything from small icons to large background landscapes that everything has been painstakingly been thought about.

I got my Warlock up to level 8 and finished what is apparently all thats left that they gave us for the main quest. This leaves me with doing them over again on the harder difficulties and ofcourse the awesome multiplayer.
So far I really like the Warlock. I can see though in some respects that this is more of a PvE centric class while the Titan and Hunter may fair better in some PvP aspects. Regardless, theirs been plenty of matches ive done so far going with a 2.0+ KDR.

Now I think i'll actually get the Warlock up to level 10 or so and then switch it up to the Hunter and see how that compares.

LOVE this game so far.
If this initial impression is just scratching the surface, then I can easily see this being the GOTY this year.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Mitsuzuki » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:23 am

It does feel a bit like Halo, doesn't it? From the replenishing armour to the controls which felt at home right away. I summoned one of those bike-things that remind me of the ghost in Halo, though I haven't figured out how to shoot with it yet!

It feels like a fresh start for Bungie and you can tell they're putting everything they have of themselves in it, which is why I agree it should grab GOTY with ease. It's both familiar yet completely unique as well.

And it's not taking anything away from Halo, either. I'm also probably picking up an X1 near Christmas to get the MCC, especially if there's a bundle.
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:33 pm

A bunch of my old friends are clamoring about Destiny, saying it reminds them of Phantasy Star Online/Borderlands/Halo. And some of my old school Dreamcast PSO friends want me to play with them. I doubt I will, but who knows? Also, does anyone know if the online play is cross platform? im guessing its probably not, but its still an important question.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:05 am

It's not cross platform from what ive seen.
Honestly the game is an ace, absolutely worth getting a PS4 over despite it being on last gen systems too. Watching comparison videos will show alot of difference in detail, like strait up objects being present or not and also performance. Im sure the last gen versions will be fine but id say getting the white PS4 with this game is a great move.

Im definitely feeling its going to be one of these games like Halo 2 where everyone out there is on it and talking about it IRL in a good way, not a "ah I totally got a 4.0 KDR and pwn noobs" but rather a "Join my clan we'll do some boss runs and objective based multi." Although dont get me wrong, its a competative game and I for one will take it more serious then I have with other games.
Its very good experience all around and the story is really very cool.

Edit: Bungie just updated everyone with the fact that your characters can jump cross system. PS3 to PS4 and vice versa. Same with 360 to XB1. But not ie. 360 to PS4 or PS3 to XB1.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:42 pm

So is it just a massive online shooter or is there going to be an offline single player campaign?

I've never really seen an answer to this.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Axm » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:56 pm

Riku Rose wrote:So is it just a massive online shooter or is there going to be an offline single player campaign?

I've never really seen an answer to this.

It absolutely has a single player campaign that if you so choose, can be played entirely by yourself. But by the nature of the game it requires you to be online. No truely offline modes. Its basically a MMO Shooter. Sure you could play it by yourself, but that kinda misses the point.

I went up to level 8 alone though in the Beta and that was a good experience. But when the game comes out im for sure grouping up with friends like @Yama and one other to do raids/bosses.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Mitsuzuki » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:10 am

I also just reached level 8- max for the Beta. I played tonight and last with a friend and it was great.

We played most of the missions on Hard for the extra XP and it was a satisfying challenge. The big bosses require a LOT of work to take down, but somehow it doesn't feel monotonous, even with wave after wave of subordinates that have to be taken down to get ammo. I suppose it's because it is challenging, and my friend and I were constantly chatting about our locations, health, where ammo drops are, enemy locations, and most importantly, should we attempt a revive. We were always kept on our toes.

There are upgrades on everything- armour, weapons, cloaks, ships, you name it.

I particularly like how you can play in story mode, or go at it in team vs. team in the Crucible, trying to get kills and protecting several flag locations. Really it's a lot like Battlefield in that regard.

So now I can choose to either unlock more weapons and equipment by finding more Glimmer (the game's currency), or just choose another class and have a go at it from the start. I'll likely choose the latter.

My friend and I had one really cool moment where a third person somehow joined our fire team (we set it to friends only). In the mission, I was standing in a hallway next to the random while we spotted enemy in a large room in the distance. I trained my sniper rifle and took a few moments to line up the perfect shot. The random guy waited patiently while I did, and once I popped off the enemy's head he and my friend immediately dove in the fight. It was a wonderful little moment of synchronicity.

There's still more I can do in the Beta, but holy cow I can't wait for the full release. It'll be interesting to see if our characters with all their upgrades will transfer over.

Mitsuzuki has received a thanks from: Axm
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Axm » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:03 am

Very cool. This game doesnt present anything extraordinarily new but what its doing is actually taking every aspect and gameplay element from different games to make a really fluid, snappy, detailed and fun experience. I find myself constantly thinking about the game now. Havent been this hyped in years for a game.

Axm has received a thanks from: Mitsuzuki
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Mitsuzuki » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:41 pm

Hm, I dove deep into Crucible team vs. team mode and got my ass handed to me. I could tell enemy players were smoking me with better weapons and grenades than what I had.

I'm only ok in competitive multiplayer games which is why I avoid them for the most part. I'm glad there's a heavy co-op emphasis in the story mode, which I'm sure will be the bulk of my playing sessions.
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Axm » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:52 pm

Same. It seems like more of a balanced PvE experience then PvP. Anytime you get a super in PvP available and you can just aim in a general direction for the kill or get 3 one shot kill bullets at your disposal it's not exactly what id call the most skillful.. but its still incredibly fun and I can see past stuff like that because i'm not an incredibly competitive serious business 24/7 player. Theirs certainly still huge opportunities for skill growth and a learning curve for maps and weapons though.

But ya the PvE is the most interesting for me because besides Boarderlands which was always just OK for me, theirs no other shooters doing what this game is doing.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Raithos » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:54 pm

So I've been playing it all weekend. As soon as I got to the city I was sold. It reminded me of the first time I played PSO, but completely its own thing, just the same feeling. You just know this game is going to be huge.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Yama » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:30 am

It's Bungie, so naturally I was hyped, but I had reservations until I played the Alpha. I haven't had this much fun with a game in years. More or less it's a lot of what I like about Halo's competitive experience, but the other portions of the game are actually meaty and meaningful (Reach's story meant a lot to me, the others not as much). I've always been into Bungie titles for the PvP, but this time around PvE through the likes of Strikes, Story and Free Roam are extraordinarily fun. It also mixes in MMO like progression, but without the need to schedule your life away or pay monthly fees. It's like an MMO lite version. A big thing for me is art direction and as always, Bungie nailed it. My only gripe is 30fps, it's a next-gen FPS with millions upon millions being invested. I understand catering towards last generation hurt them here, but it's still no excuse. I'm used to Halo so I get right back into the groove, but shouldn't have to. That aside it's been a well presented adventure all around, catering towards many types of players.

As a BNet user for years I also appreciate the integration of Destiny into the companion app, it's nice being able to interact with the world and community on the go. I formed a group to cater towards competitive PvP players and Halo vets after the Alpha but before the Beta and it hit over one hundred players already. I've met a lot of new people and always have a squad ready to go, it's nice not having to carry rando's anymore. Their smooth integration of such features shows me their focus on community and I'm very happy with it. It's also fun calling out shit talkers since all of their stats are readily available, lol.

If you want my take on PvP I did a video on the Alpha a while back. Some things have changed, but the consensus is more or less the same. This was beyond early footage, but still:

phpBB [video]

Mitsuzuki wrote: Hm, I dove deep into Crucible team vs. team mode and got my ass handed to me. I could tell enemy players were smoking me with better weapons and grenades than what I had.

That's actually incorrect. The Crucible balances all weapons so there is zero level advantages or disadvantage. It comes down to preference of loadouts, but not worth. I still feel it needs quite a bit of balancing (it was actually better in the Alpha), but they've got the right idea.

Yama has received a thanks from: Axm
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Next

Return to General Gaming