White Tiger (Baihu Theme Remix)

(Modding and other series related projects)

White Tiger (Baihu Theme Remix)

Postby LanDC » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:19 am

Soooo, I've been working on this baby for a while on and off. I finally picked up on the project over the last few days and added the final touches. I can be a hell of a perfectionist, so I just needed to tell myself, "Just stop messing with it and release it as it is." I've worked on several Shenmue remixes in the past that my inner perfectionist never allowed to be finished. I plan to change that though and release more in the future, because Shenmue music deserves some professional sounding remixes.

Feedback, please!

phpBB [video]

LanDC has received 3 thanks from: _StreetSonic_, Giorgio, shengoro86
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Re: White Tiger (Baihu Theme Remix)

Postby Rakim » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:08 am

There are a few mediocre bits(i.e. cheap sounding or misused samples) , but as a whole I think it was good remix. My favorite parts/additions was the vocal stuff (creepy whispers and the chants) and the entire ending section's build up and decline. That was really cool. Kinda makes me wanna try one.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby LanDC » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:50 am

Thanks. But please elaborate on the cheap sounding samples. I used some of the best software on the market. Everything wasn't meant to be entirely clean sounding, as it's just a dark and gritty track. But I didn't want that to be a cheap excuse for lazy work, so overall I made sure it was apparent that time was put into this.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Axm » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:08 am

Pretty cool. I always liked this track, a remix makes sense. I thought it was good. Was listening to it while in the middle of playing Skyrim and it matched up quite nicely.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Red Rum » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:43 am

This is a very good remix from beginning to end, and I'm glad to see you finally completed it after many months of hard work. I literally had an orgasm the first time you let me hear a WIP of this mix. This is better than most people can do, and you did it quite effectively. It's great to hear a remix of something that hasn't been done before for a change.

Cheap samples? Dude, those samples are the same ones used on some of the works submitted on OCReMix. They are ripped from grade A+ drum machines. You usually pay hundreds of dollars for them but obviously, LanDC here got them for free. Why pay when piracy is available?

EDIT: I might try a new Shenmue remix in the near future. This amps me up and gets me in the mood to do one.
Last edited by Red Rum on Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Red Rum
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby BlueMue » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:44 am

A really dark and epic remix of an already dark an epic theme. It adds the feal of a really big score. Fantastic job!
The only thing that disturbed the mood a little bit for me where the overpowering drums in the early main part.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby LanDC » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:53 am

Red Rum wrote: This is a very good remix from beginning to end, and I'm glad to see you finally completed it after many months of hard work. I literally had an orgasm the first time you let me hear a WIP of this mix. This is better than most people can do, and you did it quite effectively. It's great to hear a remix of something that hasn't been done before for a change.

Cheap samples? Dude, those samples are the same ones used on some of the works submitted on OCReMix. They are ripped from grade A+ drum machines. You usually pay hundreds of dollars for them but obviously, LanDC here got them for free. Why pay when piracy is available?

EDIT: I might try a new Shenmue remix in the near future. This amps me up and gets me in the mood to do one.

That means something coming from Red Rum himself. Much appreciated. Oh and certainly do make a new one, you're sorely needed.

Ha, I have pirated the majority of my software. :-({|= A few thousand dollars worth, to be precise. But I actually have bought some of them. Sometimes, you can never quite crack these VSTs perfectly and it's very annoying dealing with errors when you're deep in development of a track.

BlueMue wrote:A really dark and epic remix of an already dark an epic theme. It adds the feal of a really big score. Fantastic job!
The only thing that disturbed the mood a little bit for me where the overpowering drums in the early main part.

Thanks. Heh, well I guess I succeeded in making you jump when those opening drums kicked in. I wanted to go from foreboding, to all out chaos there. :evil:
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Red Rum » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:01 am

LanDC wrote: That means something coming from Red Rum himself. Much appreciated. Oh and certainly do make a new one, you're sorely needed.

Yeah, I've noticed there isn't too many Shenmue remixes going around on the internet anymore these days. I think it's because of the lack of MIDIs. It's because love to rip from MIDIs instead of taking the time to recompose something from scratch. It's a shame, but this world has got lazy over the years.

I'm glad I could give you input. Submit this to OCReMix if you can. There's a shortage of remixes for Shenmue on that site and I believe this is something that they'd be looking for. :)

Keep up the good work.
Red Rum
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby LanDC » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:08 am

Red Rum wrote:Yeah, I've noticed there isn't too many Shenmue remixes going around on the internet anymore these days. I think it's because of the lack of MIDIs. It's because love to rip from MIDIs instead of taking the time to recompose something from scratch. It's a shame, but this world has got lazy over the years.

I'm glad I could give you input. Submit this to OCReMix if you can. There's a shortage of remixes for Shenmue on that site and I believe this is something that they'd be looking for. :)

Keep up the good work.

Exactly. There aren't many MIDIs for Shenmue tracks. That's why you don't hear any remixes. It really is a million times more difficult to make something completely from scratch. That's why I'm extremely proud of this mix of mine. Also, your Fangmei's Celebration mix, which had no MIDI.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Red Rum » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:11 am

LanDC wrote: Exactly. There aren't many MIDIs for Shenmue tracks. That's why you don't hear any remixes. It really is a million times more difficult to make something completely from scratch. That's why I'm extremely proud of this mix of mine. Also, your Fangmei's Celebration mix, which had no MIDI.

You don't need MIDIs if you rely on skill. MIDI ripping is great if you're just starting out to learn, but it's generally a weak method if you've been doing music for years and still rip. It's rather sad, if you ask me.
Red Rum
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Radar » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:58 am

Cool! I don't know if it will help but, when I played around with Shenmue sound files, I was able to successfully mute/isolate samples through HEX editing of *.snd files. And so, if anyone interested in making remixes and if it will make your job easier, I can help you with this task.
Radar
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Master Kyodai » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:44 am

Wow, in my opinion the best Shenmue related remix i heard so far. Really captures the darkness and mystery of Baihu very well.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Rakim » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:43 pm

You know what, I listened to it again and you can't really hear what I was talking about without headphones so I rescind my comment. I don't wanna be too nitpicky. Again good remix :D
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby LanDC » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:32 pm

Radar wrote: Cool! I don't know if it will help but, when I played around with Shenmue sound files, I was able to successfully mute/isolate samples through HEX editing of *.snd files. And so, if anyone interested in making remixes and if it will make your job easier, I can help you with this task.

No fucking way, dude. I've thought about trying that before. Is there a certain header you found for the instruments or something? I've heard the program Audio Overload can let you mute samples of DSF files, but I can't seem to figure the program out. It begins to play the track, then just dies.

And again, thanks everybody for the comments. I'm trying to think of my next serious project right now. There's just so many inspirational tracks in Shenmue, I don't know where to start. :mrgreen:
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby _StreetSonic_ » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:12 pm

I liked it! :)
_StreetSonic_
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Next

Return to Community Projects