Shenmue on Oculus Rift

(Modding and other series related projects)

Re: Shenmue on Oculus Rift

Postby Marulu » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:48 pm

Here are some pictures taken through the lenses of the HMD.

Marulu has received a thanks from: shengoro86
Marulu
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby shengoro86 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:22 pm

Marulu's work + holding down the trigger and moving your head as Ryo would sent me into a perpetual Shenmue trip.

Dude Awesome Work!
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Giorgio » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:43 am

"Shenmue on Oculus Rift" has been featured on SEGA Nerds' website!

[Once you see it,] You will not be able to unsee Shenmue running on Oculus Rift
http://www.seganerds.com/2013/08/26/you ... ulus-rift/
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Marulu » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:56 am

WoW, this is awesome.
I now really have to focus on this once I am done with my World Of Warcraft Mod.
Marulu
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby ShenSun » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:15 pm

dudeeee, if this becomes fully playable via the OR, id purchase a headset in a heartbeat. Make it happen man.

Brilliant
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Giorgio » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:02 pm

SEGA Nerds are talking about Shenmue on Oculus Rift by Marulu, on their 20th episode of Nerdcast:

phpBB [video]

Also, on Sega Addicts: http://sega-addicts.murnaumusic.com/?p=40632
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby shengoro86 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:23 pm

I will totally buy an Oculous just for this.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby ShenmueTree » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:29 am

Yes, enable FPS view with head tracking and playing with the rift would be.. there are no words, amazing.. better than amazing.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Marulu » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:49 am

While I don´t have much time to work on this at the moment, it is nice to see so many people are interested in Shenmue on Oculus Rift. Just in case someone on this forum is interested in helping me out with Shenmue VR, here are some things that I would have to do to make this game VR ready.

-Adjust the field of view (FOV) to 90 - 110 degrees.
-Remove the head from ryo hazuk´s model and place the camera where the head used to be.
-Add free look using mouse movements to null dc. (Similar to how the dolphin emulator does.)
-Enable a shortcut to recenter view in the direction ryo´s body is facing. (So your view does not get stuck.)
-Shrink the UI and menus down so they are in the middle of the screen.
-Add 3D support to the newest version of Null DC. (3D support in directx 9 rendering to be precise.)

The NullDC emulator is open source so it should not be too hard to implement the 3D and so on.
Here is a link to the source code of NullDC http://code.google.com/p/nulldc/source/browse/

While this might be a ton of work this is going to make Shenmue a next gen title.
This is going to allow you to enjoy Shenmue again in a way more immersive way.

The only changes that have to be made to the rom files are the FOV, menus, UI, the model without a head, and placing the camera where Ryo´s head should be. The rest has to be done on the emulator itself.

I hope here are some people interested in porting Shenmue with me to the true next gen of gaming!

-Marulu
Marulu
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Marulu » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:11 pm

I found a little bit of time today, so I decided to open up Photoshop and create a Shenmue VR logo.

What is your opinion on it?

Marulu has received 3 thanks from: shengoro86, ShenSun, wude
Marulu
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby ShenSun » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:06 pm

Marulu i will love you forever if you can pull this project off.

The logo is looking sweet.

Is it possible to change some code to enable a first person view when playing this on the rift?

that would be the ultimate shenmue experiance.

Thanks again
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Marulu » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:06 am

uchihamadarav wrote:Is it possible to change some code to enable a first person view when playing this on the rift?

Getting a game to run in first person is possible in almost any 3D game, you just have to take the model of the main character, use a model editing software like blender, and cut his head off. After putting the model back into the game you would have to change the camera placing to where the head used to be. Now you can look down and see the body of Ryo Hazuki, as if it were your own. The difficulty of placing the camera in just the right spot is different from game to game.

-Marulu
Marulu
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Stocke » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:42 pm

Just got back from the play expo in Manchester, gave the Oculus Rift a try there.
truly stunning piece of kit. If this project is a success, I'll definitely be buying one.
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Shenmue on Ocolus Rift?

Postby Peter » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:02 pm

I've tried Oculus a few times and I honestly have thought it's the future of videogaming. Really. I know it's still in its infancy stage but I had some time with the DK1 kit (not sure about the DK2 as I haven't seen one yet, but the specs look great!). I know there have been breakthroughs with Skyrim, and most recently Battlefield and Minecraft so I thought i would ask.
I know some people on here may be quick to dismiss it, as a fad, Zuckerberg bought them and it's doomed. Or its just this year's new Kinect or Move, but honestly it's not. If you have not tried it, try and resist the urge to jump on the "meh" bandwagon. I know sitting on the couch with one of these headsets on, headphones and a controller in your hands may seem like it should be dismissed, but trust me, this is a complete blank out of the real worled in terms of the visual and audio senses, so much so that you genuinely feel emotion 100 times on a scale of playing a game on your TV. I recently played The Affected (YouTube it) and I swear, if you ever thought you were afraid playing the scariest Resident Evil or Silent Hill game, then take it from this 30 year old that I was so afraid that I had to remove the headset and headphones.

Of course my first instinct was will it be possible for it to be programmed for Shenmue? From Ryos POV. The DK1 only allows 110° vision, plus it would probably have to be coded around NullDC on Windows 7. But I just either wanted to know if it's even possible, or at least plant a seed for some keen developers. I know James does some incredible work judging by his Facebook page, and even though there are some good projects being worked on by fans, surely this would be the big one. The one which puts you in Shenmue. Always been the dream of mine, and also maybe a lot of people. I should also clarify I am not talking about the full game here, but just a demo, where you can walk through the environments from a first person perspective. Look up at the real time weather etc. It would be such a breakthrough, plus also Shenmue would be the perfect game to do it with.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Re: Shenmue on Ocolus Rift?

Postby BlueMue » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:43 pm

There's an over a year old topic about this in the Future Of Shenmue forum already. Thought I should mention that.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46012
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Community Projects