Dialogue from unused scene (From LanDC)

(Chapters 3-6)

Dialogue from unused scene (From LanDC)

Postby Ziming » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:51 am

Interesting tidbit time. Did you know there was an unused scene in Shenmue II in which Lan Di finds Yuanda Zhu? I found this a long time ago but most of you probably haven't heard of it. Oddly, I only found all this data in the Xbox version. In the voice/sub data AFS for the scene where Ryo is looking for the elevator keys in the Yellow Head Bldg 18th floor, and you only have six minutes to do so before the guards make their rounds, Lan Di has an unused line of dialogue. "So you are Yuanda Zhu." There's no audio clip, but as you can see in the attached image, there's subtitles for it. SRY is Lan Di's abbreviated model name in Shenmue II.

My guess is that originally, if Ryo failed to find those keys in the six minute limit, a scene would be triggered where Lan Di gets to Zhu before Ryo does. Unfortunately, full sequence data is not available, however I did notice something interesting in the motion data for these scenes. There's a motion for TGY (Dou Niu) that reads "TGY_0266A_MANEKU_KOK_0459" Maneku meaning "invite", KOK being Lan Di's abbreviated model name in Shenmue I. So apparently in this scene, Dou Niu would be leading Lan Di into the room where Zhu is being held.

So yeah, there you have it. Only fragments scattered about, but very cool nonetheless. Why was it taken out? Your guess is as good as mine.

Short preview of Shenmue II from the end credits of Shenmue: The Movie. It appears Lan Di is standing on a platform.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... GfQ#t=5243

Ziming has received 2 thanks from: _StreetSonic_, Axm
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Re: Dialogue from unused scene (From LanDC)

Postby Ceej » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:01 pm

It sounds like a game over screen that was scrapped...

"So you are Yuanda Zhu"...fade to black

Interesting nonetheless.
Ceej
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby BlueMue » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:14 pm

Only in the Xbox version? That's interesting. Maybe they planned to add something there but had to give up on it for some reason.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Axm » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:48 pm

If it had stayed in lord knows how many of us would play just to trigger that scene over and over again.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby KX-5 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:39 am

Man I can't count how many times I've seen the bad ending in II just because IT'S FUCKING LAN DI XD. This would have been really interesting to see...perhaps it could be something that they put in the remakes if they decide to do them. Alternate endings like this or alternate paths for failure and such would be nice to see.
KX-5
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: Shadow_Exodus
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: L.A. Noire

Postby shengoro86 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:32 pm

Very interesting that its not in the DC version. I wonder if the Xbox version of S2 was based off of a possible older build of shenmue 2 that had that dialog in it.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Return to Shenmue II