Map Glitch - Skip floors and break into rooms

(Chapters 3-6)

Map Glitch - Skip floors and break into rooms

Postby BlueMue » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:14 pm

Okay so I've seen puri_puri put the map glitch to good use on the staircases in his speedruns and I had to mess around with this myself. I tried this in the Ghost Hall Building and it's really usefull there. I was even able to break into Yuanda Zhu's room with this!

This works on pretty much all of the staircases and lots of fun and exploration can be had with this.
I've tried this in various spots and I did manage to get to the other side of the locked doors that are used by Ryo and Ren during the handcuffs segment. But unfortunately Ryo will just go through it like regular and will be back on the hallway. Of course this is extremely usefull in the Yellow Head Building. Stay tuned for that one.

phpBB [video]
Last edited by BlueMue on Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueMue has received 8 thanks from: _StreetSonic_, Axm, Chaikilla, DL30, Etno, Fenix, Giorgio, shengoro86
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Map Glitch - Skip floors and break into Yuanda Zhu's roo

Postby Chaikilla » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:28 pm

My most hated part of the game (those damn planks!) finally there's a way to skip all that! Really nice find, yet again.
Chaikilla
Master of the Three Blades

Postby BlueMue » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:31 am

Here I use the glitch to actually walk through doors and get into Huang's and Yuan's room.

phpBB [video]

BlueMue has received 2 thanks from: DL30, Giorgio
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby DL30 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:07 pm

Amazing stuff!

I'm looking forward to the Yellowhead building one.
DL30

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Chaikilla » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:41 pm

Awesome, I want to try this out myself. I'd love to see a video where you break into the Yan Tin and Da Yuan apartments and if possible, the apartments in the Wise men's quarter that are locked (I can't think of the name of it).

Slightly off topic but I love your channel. I love how you went to the effort of showing us the outcome of every choice Ryo makes in his conversations with Fangmei. She really gets feisty if you say the wrong thing! I saw another video of yours where that fortune-teller in the blue dress falls in love with Ryo. I knew about this first piece of dialogue between her and Ryo (the one where Ryo is fresh off the boat and she's reading palms near the free stay lodge) but I didn't know until I watched your video that there was more to it than that! I love how she warns Ryo against mingling with other ladies ;D

Sorry for going wildly off-topic but I had to give you some positive feedback for your great work. I don't want you to stop making videos! You're teaching me things about a game that I thought I knew everything about.

Chaikilla has received a thanks from: BlueMue
Chaikilla

Postby BlueMue » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:03 pm

@DL30: It's done and uploaded. You'll find it in the Room Raid topic.

@Chaikiller: I'm glad you enjoy the videos! Trying this out in Wan Chai is a great idea. Haven't thought to do it there actually, gonna do it now and see if there's anything interesting.

BlueMue has received 2 thanks from: Chaikilla, DL30
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby BlueMue » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:05 am

I was able to get into Guixiang's room with the glitch. It's funny how she changes her attitude towards Ryo here.

phpBB [video]

I didn't manage to enter room 205 or any of the others. Ryo will either not be able to pass the doors or get stuck on the stairs. No luck at the Da Yuan Appartments either...

I highly recommend all of you try this out aswell. There could be ways to get it to work after all.

BlueMue has received 3 thanks from: Chaikilla, Fenix, Giorgio
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Giorgio » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:40 pm

While on the quest to find Ren at Lucky Plaza, I did the Map Glitch and found Ren as shown below.

The mechanics to start a conversation with him are enabled. However, when you press the A button to talk to him, Ryo goes like this: "Excuse me..." and then "Oh well...". Then all of the Conversation buttons are disabled when you try to talk to Ren.

Giorgio has received 4 thanks from: BlueMue, Chaikilla, Etno, Fenix
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Chaikilla » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:01 pm

Very nice finds again, guys. I want to try this in the arcade next.
Chaikilla

Postby Chaikilla » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:37 pm

I managed to break into rooms 205 and 206 of the Da Yuan apartments. There wasn't anything special in either room but it was pretty cool, nonetheless. The rooms are completely unfurnished, the floors are wooden and there's a window to view what's going on outside.
Chaikilla

Postby BlueMue » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:34 am

Cool! Can you tell us how you got in there, where you started to glitch?
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Chaikilla » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:30 pm

BlueMue wrote: Cool! Can you tell us how you got in there, where you started to glitch?

I was on the staircase of the apartments when I started the glitch. My original intention was to break into Xiyuing's room but I broke into 206 instead. I then had another try, this time moving in a more linear fashion from the staircase and that's how I got into 205.

I tried the glitch in the Yan Tin apartments as well but I could only manage to get into Guixang's apartment. Since you only have to move in a linear fashion from the staircase to Guixang's house I thought that it would be easy to break into room 201 in the apartments but it seems you cannot. Strange how you can break into random rooms in the Da Yuan apartments but not here.

Edit: I tried this glitch the day after Ryo tangles with the yellow heads at Dou Jiang diner. You know, the part of the game where there's a construction lady who informs you that there's some construction work going on at the moment in the Wise men's quarter? Well, being the deviant that I am I chose not to listen and broke through the barrier with the map glitch. The whole area is glitched, the stores are inaccessible. I also tried to do this on the staircase of the shopping mall in the Golden quarter and nearly had some success. There's two barriers in this mall which have "staff only signs" followed by a staircase. I thought it could be possible to access this area since it's just a straight walk forward from either staircase you choose in the mall but for now, I don't think it's possible.

More updates: I broke into Man Mo temple at night. I did this by starting the map glitch on the right-hand side of the Scarlett Hills staircase (about two or three steps from the very top) and ran past the gate and into the far corner of the wall. I was then on the other side of the gate but in the far corner of the temple and I had to fight against a wave of glitchiness before I could actually enter the temple itself. When I did finally enter the temple, I got booted out into Scarlett Hills. I got a loading screen for Man Mo temple but for whatever reason it wouldn't allow me into the temple itself at that time of night.
Chaikilla

Postby shengoro86 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:22 pm

Awesome work Bluemue!!!!

Also for the Da Yuan Apartments, you can simply swap map files to get into them if you can not use the glitching.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby BlueMue » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:33 pm

Do you happen to have a list what all the areas in Shenmue II are called in it's file structure?
I got something together for Aberdeen and Wan Chai. But only the main quarters, wich I identified with the help of the texture of the map stands.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Chaikilla » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:37 pm

I'd love to know if this glitch can be used to get into the prohibited area of the worker's pier. I tried it with no success but I might have given up too quickly. I thought it was impossible to break into Man Mo temple at night the other day and I nearly gave up until I had a lucky breakthrough, so it's worth a shot.

I tried to glitch through the entrance of Beverley Hills Wharf and my game completely glitched. I got stuck behind the guard and was unable to do anything!
Chaikilla

Next

Return to Shenmue II