Shenmue sound effects complete pack

(Modding and other series related projects)

Shenmue sound effects complete pack

Postby BlueMue » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:05 pm

I converted all the sound effects from Shenmue and What's Shenmue to DSF with Master Kyodai's gui took and packed them all together. To play these I recommend Winamp with the dsf plugin. I have tried it on foobar 2000 and they didn't play for some reason.

The archives contain every single sound file that got exported. That's over 3800 for What's Shenmue and over 9000 (no meme intended) for Shenmue. Since it includes everything it's unsorted and there's a great amount of empty sound files for the dsflibs that start with "F1".

Shenmue:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/0o5x2 ... mueSFX.rar

What's Shenmue:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/cfbvc ... atsSFX.zip

I found a few intersting things just by randomly listening through the files, like Virtua Fighter battle sounds, some guy humming (during the Jimmy chase QTE) and a doorbell, barcode scanner beep and cash register sound for the Tomato Mart.

BlueMue has received 7 thanks from: Axm, Esppiral, Giorgio, MiTT3NZ, Mr357, shengoro86, Ziming
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Shenmue sound effects complete pack

Postby ReeceKun » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:01 pm

Im not sure why this 'winamp' plugin is still being used after all these years, eventually I will want 'ALL' the audio, but In WAV form

Snd2Wav works
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=40144

Python 2.7.9 (required) is here
https://www.python.org/downloads/
Last edited by ReeceKun on Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Skyrim

Postby ReeceKun » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:56 pm

For future reference
The translation pack , helps with extracting AFS files in the STREAM folder to extract (and I think replace audio)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/shenmue ... 20Toolkit/

Im suprised SND2WAV isnt included in the translation pack, It isnt 100% perfect but these tools combined rip all audio into WAV
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby TapamN » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:08 pm

The all of the minidsfs seem to have the full path hardcoded in the lib tag ("c:\shenmue\dtpkfiles\\..."). The double backslash seems to prevent them from playing even if you make the proper directory to put them in. Hand editing the lib tag works, but that's obviously not reasonable for so many files. Does anyone happen to already have a script handy to do this?
TapamN
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Giorgio » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:11 pm

TapamN wrote: The all of the minidsfs seem to have the full path hardcoded in the lib tag ("c:\shenmue\dtpkfiles\\..."). The double backslash seems to prevent them from playing even if you make the proper directory to put them in. Hand editing the lib tag works, but that's obviously not reasonable for so many files. Does anyone happen to already have a script handy to do this?

Here is a script I made in the Ruby programming language:
Code: Select all
# It replaces the old path (and removes the double backslashes) found in the MINIDSF files, with the current path [the files are (and thus this script is) stored in] as the new path.

oldpath = "c:\\shenmue\\dtpkfiles\\\\"; newpath = Dir.pwd.gsub!("/", "\\").downcase + "\\"; Dir.glob('*.minidsf') { |file| entry = IO.read(file).gsub!(oldpath, newpath); if entry != nil; IO.binwrite(file, entry) end }
[Last update: 10 Feb 2015.]
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Ziming » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:34 pm

Here are some instructions about Shenmue sound effects from Master Kyodai.

I have made a little pack here:

https://www.mediafire.com/?n0z5ym40e3muwnq

You can use the afsutils to extract any afs file. If i remember right most sounds came from FREE01.afs which should be in SCENE\01\STREAM

If you wanna be extreme you can also just copy all AFS files from all discs and put them in one folder, that makes it easier. I cant remember but i think pretty much all sound files should be in free01.afs, at least that would be a good start.

So you open the afs in the tool and pick "extract all" to some helper directory. You should end up with like 12.000 STR files after a few seconds.

Then you extract the second tool from the pack and go to ADPCM Streaming Toolkit\massconv\input and copy all STR files there.

Then just run massconv.cmd and in the output folder you will have all files as WAVE format.
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby ReeceKun » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:08 pm

Giorgio wrote:
TapamN wrote: The all of the minidsfs seem to have the full path hardcoded in the lib tag ("c:\shenmue\dtpkfiles\\..."). The double backslash seems to prevent them from playing even if you make the proper directory to put them in. Hand editing the lib tag works, but that's obviously not reasonable for so many files. Does anyone happen to already have a script handy to do this?

Here is a script I made in the Ruby programming language:
Code: Select all
# It replaces the old path (and removes the double backslashes) found in the MINIDSF files, with the current path [the files are (and thus this script is) stored in] as the new path.

oldpath = "c:\\shenmue\\dtpkfiles\\\\"; newpath = Dir.pwd.gsub!("/", "\\").downcase + "\\"; Dir.glob('*.minidsf') { |file| entry = IO.read(file).gsub!(oldpath, newpath); if entry != nil; IO.binwrite(file, entry) end }
[Last update: 10 Feb 2015.]

I was worried about figuring out how to use this script but with snd2wav it isnt necessary
Last edited by ReeceKun on Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shengoro86 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:07 am

Thank you!
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby ReeceKun » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:44 pm

BlueMue wrote: there's a great amount of empty sound files for the dsflibs that start with "F1".

Has anyone figured out how to convert these F1__ sound effect files?

some discussion of the system.snd here viewtopic.php?f=37&t=49940
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby RussDCA » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:50 pm

Hi everyone,

This is probably quite a broad request, but I have to ask.

Does anyone have all of the sounds and voices in WAV format? I've attempted to use a number of players & converters but had no joy with any of the OP files.

Pretty sure I'm missing something obvious, but you know how it can be when you've spent hours on something & not got far ;)

Thanks, Russ.
RussDCA
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Return to Community Projects