Controller Wars? (Poll)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

What is your favourite game controller? (Total votes: 26)

Master System
No votes
Genesis/Mega Drive
No votes
Genesis/Mega Drive 6 Button Pad
4%
Saturn
No votes
Saturn 3D Pad
No votes
Dreamcast
15%
NES
No votes
SNES
4%
Nintendo 64
No votes
Gamecube
8%
Wii
No votes
WiiU
No votes
Xbox Duke
4%
Xbox S
12%
Xbox 360
19%
Xbox One
4%
PlayStation
No votes
PlayStation Dual Analog
4%
PlayStation Dual Shock
No votes
PlayStation Dual Shock 2
4%
PlayStation Dual Shock 3
4%
PlayStation Dual Shock 4
19%
Atari 2600
No votes
Atari 5200
No votes
Atari 7800
No votes
Atari Jaguar
No votes
Turbo Grafx 16
No votes
Turbo Grafx 16 Duo RX
No votes

Controller Wars? (Poll)

Postby Ride The Tiger » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:01 pm

Got a poll because it seems appropiate. My favourite controller is the Dreamcast's becuase its simply put right with the amazing beep from the VMU when you put it in and the feel is amazing. As for my most hates, it's gotta be the Xbox Duke, its similar to a DC controller but thats a finger destroyer right there. The dreamcast controller also has the most perfect dpad ever along with the triangular start button. Amazing!
Last edited by Ride The Tiger on Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ride The Tiger
Banned
Banned

Re: POLL; Favourite Game Controller?

Postby Axm » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:00 am

Ya love the DC one. All it needed was a second thumb stick and it would have been perfect.
Actually really liked the big original Xbox controller. It was a tank but it was something to really man handle and abuse without worrying if it would break. Perfect for Halo 1 LAN party rage. The S was better though.

My current favorite is turning out to be the PS4's. Cant really find a fault with it past battery life.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby south carmain » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:05 am

^as someone with rather big hands the duke always felt pretty comfortable. The 360 controller is ok but after playing for extended periods of time on the PS3 one it starts to become really uncomfortable.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby JMan » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:38 am

I loved the original XBOX controller but Xbox 360 feels super comfortable for me and I use it a lot for PC gaming.

Keyboard and mouse feels pretty good too depending on the game.
JMan
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:19 am

360 all day long. Even after using the Xbox One controller it still just doesn't feel as right in your hands for some reason and I can't work out why.

The Dreamcast controller feels like you're sitting on the back of a goat and holding it's horns.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby BlueMue » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:22 am

My vote goes for the Mega Drive 6 Button Pad. Not directly in the poll but it just goes to the Mega Drive controller.

To me this is just the best pad for 2D games, the best thing without analog sticks for sure. It's just super comfortable to hold, the buttons are great and the d-pad is just a dream. Many people say the Saturn contoller (2nd gen/Japanese) is even better but I still find the MD controller to just feel better overall.

Of all the modern controllers the 360 controller is my favorite. It just fits the hands perfectly and is overall well constructed. Note that I have the one with the transforming d-pad and that d-pad is actually really nice. Much better then the regular 360 one. I played a LOT with this controller alone. From 360 and Xbox on 360, to PC games and all sorts of emulators.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Thief » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:26 am

I think the SNES is probably the best controller -- runner up would be the saturn (not 3D) or genesis 6 button.

Other than that, I also enjoy the Gamecube controller and the Xbox One controller.

Strangely I have a slight fondness for the wii-mote and nunchuck simply because I can play a game without having to keep my hands together (me liking the controller is all assuming that I'm not forced to do some motion bullshit).
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:35 am

360 hands down. Also have a fondness for original Xbox and GameCube controllers. And, of course, the DualShock Controllers are consistently good. Still can't quite remember how or why I liked the DC controller other than for the VMU...
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Sonikku » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:32 pm

I went with the 360. It's the best. But it doesn't really feel fair because it feels like we're comparing two different eras. If we're talking oldschool SNES is cream of the crop. Seemingly brilliant in it's simplicity and durability.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:02 pm

I'm not voting on a poll that lumps together PS1/2/3/4 controllers into one category, sorry.

And SEGA CD had its own dedicated game controller? News to me.

EDIT: One post away from 10,000...damn, son.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Raithos
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby BlueMue » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:36 pm

I expended and sorted the selection. I'm afraid you'll have to re-vote now.
But look at all those PlayStation controllers to chose from. Even the Atari 5200 controller is included now. :lol:

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Ride The Tiger
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Raithos » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:29 pm

I'm a huge DC fan like most but that controller sucked. Worst d-pad/analog stick combo ever.

I voted for PS4, its simply the most efficient and comfortable control I have ever used. Before I thought the PS3/360 controllers were even at first place, each being better for certain styles of games. 360 had the tighter analog sticks for fps games, PS3 having the better d-pad for fighting games. PS4 takes both of those and improves on the placement of the sticks, width of the control and adds finger grips to put all others to shame.

Raithos has received a thanks from: OL
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Supa » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:15 am

The DC controller just felt natural. Every Genesis controller I've ever owned seems to stop working way too soon...the PS controllers are all awkward in my opinion, along with N64. I did not like that thing the more I think about it.

Dreamcast gets my vote.

Supa has received a thanks from: Ride The Tiger
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Re: Controller Wars? (Poll)

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:48 am

The original HUGE mk1 XBox controllers were pretty awesome, agreed. Same goes for the very first PS1 controllers, they were all just comfier to hold. Never got on with the DC controller that well. For current gen I clicked XB1, though the current dual shock is still a good one as well.
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Re: Controller Wars? (Poll)

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:04 pm

To be honest I don't think the perfect controller has been made yet (I haven't tried many from the list though), nor do I think it matters that much either.
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Next

Return to General Gaming