Dojo history, rivalries & revelations

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Dojo history, rivalries & revelations

Postby south carmain » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:34 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote:
mue 26 wrote: The only reason I initially signed up to this shithole...

gtfo then if you dont like it here. and dont call this place a shit hole. Can we get some moderation?

I agree, Animegamer183 is being very aggressive with this post and I think some moderation is in order as a result.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby rome » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:48 pm

Locke_cole wrote:EDIT: Guys....never,ever go back and read your old posts. This whole thing is cringe worthy viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12318&start=30

Made that mistake not to long ago. Good to seeya Locke

rome has received a thanks from: Supa
rome
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:03 pm

mue 26 wrote: :lol: I'm only joshing, AG

still gtfo please? ;-)
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby ShenmueWeb2 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:40 pm

Wow it's awesome that this community has continued to flourish over the years. I remember coming back from a long hiatus many years ago and drunkenly posting that everybody was lame for continuing to care about Shenmue. God, what a prick I was. I love you guys!
ShenmueWeb2
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby south carmain » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:00 am

ShenmueWeb2 wrote: Wow it's awesome that this community has continued to flourish over the years

It wasn't flourishing at all when there was no shenmue news...

south carmain has received a thanks from: Kenny
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby ShenmueWeb2 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:13 am

south carmain wrote:
ShenmueWeb2 wrote: Wow it's awesome that this community has continued to flourish over the years

It wasn't flourishing at all when there was no shenmue news...

Heh, fair enough.
ShenmueWeb2

Postby Locke_cole » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:27 am

santino wrote: I was around since the forumplanet days. this forum is soooo old, I was like 14 or 15 back then. now I'm 28
and I wish I could remember all the names and stuff that went down back then

Santino, you sexy bastard you
Locke_cole
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Locke_cole » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:29 am

rome wrote:
Locke_cole wrote:EDIT: Guys....never,ever go back and read your old posts. This whole thing is cringe worthy viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12318&start=30

Made that mistake not to long ago. Good to seeya Locke

The past is full of bad grammar and teen angst. Your the man rome
Locke_cole
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby silent killer » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:06 pm

GoldenLotus wrote: I've got a question about the history. I remember years ago, there was a split or something here and some members left to found the Hazuki Dojo or whatever it was called. How did that start and what actually happened? I wish there was a good history page about this site. I'm sure the history of this place is just as fascinating as the games themselves.
From what I remember reading on the forums at the time, the name of the site was up for grabs because Andy either forgot or there was a glitch in his bank account or something. In any case, the name was for sale and Hellraiser bought it and wouldn't give it back. Thus started the revolt and then the great exodus. Or at least that's how I remember it.

Let's go a little further back though, to the forumplanet days when I first joined. At the time I joined, there was some drama going on with a member name Dakki. Apparently she had two accounts on the board, and the second account was that of a male. Supposedly the ruse had gone on for some time. Eventually everyone found out and the jokes started flying that Dakki was a transexual. The board went really hard on her. I was just starting out there when that went down, and I talked to her once or twice over ICQ. She didn't seem so bad. I don't think she deserved the hate she recieved then.

A couple other things: A user called ShenmueII. Everyone hated that turd. He was a total ass to everyone. No exceptions. And lastly, whatever happened to comrades? That guy was awesome. If I remember right he was the first person to welcome me here.

In the new forums after forumplanet there's the time that I believe, Louis, nuked half the forums. I and Juanfran were about the only people logged into the site for awhile, while it was getting wrecked to shit. We just kind of watched it all burn to the ground around us. The junk forum was completely gone, the "what song are you listening to?" thread was gone. Which was a carryover from forumplanet and was absolutely massive at the time of it's deletion. Fucking shame that one. A lot of history there. He also turned on the word filter where "I" and a few other very common words was changed to something offensive, so everyone that still had access to the site, which wasn't a lot since he also banned a lot of people, had to improvise.Here's an example:
viewtopic.php?p=294128#p294128

So if you ever wondered, that's why.

Goddamn. That was a nice trip down memory lane. :lurk:

silent killer has received a thanks from: punkmanced
silent killer
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: arcane devices
Currently playing: Cross Code

Postby Yama » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:13 pm

Sounded worse than GameFAQs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby silent killer » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:36 am

Those were indeed the days of fury. :hitrock: :whip: :staydead:
silent killer
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby silent killer » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:03 am

Oh but you know what. I do have a couple good memories of this place.

There was the time when we were fighting with the Sega forum on forumplanet. They tried spamming us, but as we were at the time, a hive of scum and villainy, they essentially just kicked a hornets nest. All because they didn't believe LanDC was able to essentially take apart the data on the game discs and comb through it for all the media that we have on the main page. They believed he made it all up. Well, screw those guys if they ever read this. They can go eat a bag of dicks.

There's also the time dragonslayer88 came looking for help translating some letters from this Spanish girl he was penpalling with. He was a really nice kid. I wonder whatever happened with that girl and him?

silent killer has received a thanks from: TwiceFriedRice
silent killer
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:28 am

Forum Planet. Good times.

TwiceFriedRice has received a thanks from: punkmanced
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby punkmanced » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:09 am

silent killer wrote:
Let's go a little further back though, to the forumplanet days when I first joined. At the time I joined, there was some drama going on with a member name Dakki. Apparently she had two accounts on the board, and the second account was that of a male. Supposedly the ruse had gone on for some time. Eventually everyone found out and the jokes started flying that Dakki was a transexual. The board went really hard on her. I was just starting out there when that went down, and I talked to her once or twice over ICQ. She didn't seem so bad. I don't think she deserved the hate she recieved then.

A couple other things: A user called ShenmueII. Everyone hated that turd. He was a total ass to everyone. No exceptions. And lastly, whatever happened to comrades? That guy was awesome. If I remember right he was the first person to welcome me here.

Goddamn. That was a nice trip down memory lane. :lurk:

LOOOL!
Dakki and Imawano Hyo. Those are some mythical names right there. Pretending to be a girl, but turned out to be some dude from Argentina. Don't recall exactly what broke the camel's back and made the entire boards turn on her/him, but it was pretty crazy.

ShenmueII... the crazy chinese user whose sig was "Shenmue sux", and whom everybody loved to hate. Granted, he hated everyone, whilst being pretty hilarious in his own way. Oh man.

The name Comrades also rings a bell...

Anyway, a trip down memory lane, indeed. I'm glad you brought all this up :)
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby PILMAN » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:11 am

I never left the Dojo, but I did become inactive for a while. I've been a active reader since the beginning and registered at the very beginning of 2004. Every year, i'd hope for an announcement of Shenmue at E3 and never gave up hope. Sometime around 2009 I'd say I started to become more inactive in general and started to lose some hope, here and there i'd hear about the possibility of a kickstarter or Yu Suzuki answering some questions about Shenmue and the story and would come back only to leave again for a while. But now I am back and am just waiting for the game.
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic