Shenmue and Streets of Rage soundtracks coming to Vinyl

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Shenmue and Streets of Rage soundtracks coming to Vinyl

Postby Rupert_Higham » Sat May 23, 2015 7:37 am

I'm sorry if anyone felt my comment was a personal attack on anyone. I stated that a lot of people think Koshiro wrote the soundtrack to Shenmue. This view is repeated on various websites and my opinion is based on other people's comments and articles on Shenmue, some that were in the print media at the time of the game's release. At the time many people neglected to mention the other composers on the project. A lot of people gave Koshiro more credit than he deserved for the soundtrack. His actual work was minimal and the composers that did nost of the work have even expressed resentment at the amount of credit he got. When Shenmue was released a alot of magazines wrote something to the effect that Shenmue features a soundtrack composed by the Yuzo Koshiro who wrote the music for the classic Sreets of Rage games. Koshiro's Streets was good, as was Revenge of Shinobi but his contributions for Shenmue were very limited. He hardly did anything. At the games original release, Sega made sure his name was plastered everywhere because they thought anything that associated the present with the successful past would help in selling Shenmue.

Also, judging by this post on this same website, this topic has been discussed before so there were obviously some people who were confused about Koshiro's contributions:

http://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/viewto ... =3&t=43703
Rupert_Higham
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Ziming » Wed May 27, 2015 12:57 am

https://www.facebook.com/datadiscs/phot ... =1&fref=nf

• 180g translucent blue vinyl with ‘colour in colour’ effect (exclusive to the Data Discs website)
• 180g translucent blue vinyl
• 180g black virgin vinyl

All copies include a traditional OBI strip, spot varnished cover and a lithographic print. Featuring music by Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, Ryuji Iuchi, Osamu Murata and Yuzo Koshiro.

The price is £19.99, across all editions.

Ziming has received 3 thanks from: Nahovil, rome, Supa
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Supa » Wed May 27, 2015 4:24 pm

Rupert_Higham wrote: I'm sorry if anyone felt my comment was a personal attack on anyone. I stated that a lot of people think Koshiro wrote the soundtrack to Shenmue. This view is repeated on various websites and my opinion is based on other people's comments and articles on Shenmue, some that were in the print media at the time of the game's release. At the time many people neglected to mention the other composers on the project. A lot of people gave Koshiro more credit than he deserved for the soundtrack. His actual work was minimal and the composers that did nost of the work have even expressed resentment at the amount of credit he got. When Shenmue was released a alot of magazines wrote something to the effect that Shenmue features a soundtrack composed by the Yuzo Koshiro who wrote the music for the classic Sreets of Rage games. Koshiro's Streets was good, as was Revenge of Shinobi but his contributions for Shenmue were very limited. He hardly did anything. At the games original release, Sega made sure his name was plastered everywhere because they thought anything that associated the present with the successful past would help in selling Shenmue.

Also, judging by this post on this same website, this topic has been discussed before so there were obviously some people who were confused about Koshiro's contributions:

http://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/viewto ... =3&t=43703

As I said in that thread, it would take a roundtable discussion to figure out who did what exactly within Shenmue's massive musical score. It is unfair to say Yuzo Koshiro was the sole composer, but also equally unfair to say he had very little to do with it. There was a great team of composers who worked on Shenmue I and Shenmue II.

I do know he wrote "Rain", co-wrote "The Sadness I Carry On My Shoulders", arranged Ryuji Iuchi's "Shenhua", as well as arranged Takenobu Mitsuyoshi's "Shenmue" and "Departure On A New Trip". These five tracks are all on the Shenmue Original Soundtrack. SEGA probably promoted his name the most due to his popularity.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby sand4fish » Thu May 28, 2015 7:42 pm

Here's the sample music for the upcoming vinyls:

https://soundcloud.com/datadiscs

I'm no music junkie or sound aficionado, but the remastered tracks sound amazing! I can't stop listening to them. I read that Yuzo Koshiro collaborated with Data Discs on remastering the new releases, so I see a genuine effort here and not just an easy cash in.

sand4fish has received a thanks from: rome
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby The_Intruder » Thu May 28, 2015 11:07 pm

How much will the Shenmue remastered Soundtrack cost in USD? Is it only May 30th the only day to get the special edition bUT I won't have money until June 3rd.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby sand4fish » Fri May 29, 2015 1:19 am

It's about 31 USD + shipping. You can pre-order any of the editions at any time while stocks last, so it's not only available at that date.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby The_Intruder » Fri May 29, 2015 4:49 am

Thanks for letting me know... When I listened to the samples I couldn't tell the difference and it would be nice if they added more tracks from the game since the original release was missing many songs from the game. Can't wait to listen to Nozomi theme, borrowing Noyuki's bike and memories of distant days.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Ziming » Fri May 29, 2015 2:20 pm

Here is the music tracklist for the Shenmue vinyl.

A1. Shenmue - Sedge Tree
A2. Shenhua - Sedge Flower
A3. Encounter with Destiny
A4. Christmas on Dobuita Street
A5. The Sadness I Carry on My Shoulders
A6. Cherry Blossom Wind Dance
A7. Daily Agony
B1. Tears of Separation
B2. Dawn
B3. Snowy Scenery
B4. Separated from Yokosuka
B5. Departure for Hope
B6. The Place Where the Sun Sets (Version 2)

Ziming has received a thanks from: Supa
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Supa » Fri May 29, 2015 2:50 pm

Interesting...I assume they are using the Koshiro arrangements for the first two?
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby BlueMue » Fri May 29, 2015 3:00 pm

I bet they are the regular versions. It would be lame if they are remixes, especially since they aren't labeled as such.
I don't get why there all the talk about the Vinyl has to be so Koshiro centric...
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Ziming » Fri May 29, 2015 3:43 pm

Supa wrote: Interesting...I assume they are using the Koshiro arrangements for the first two?

The first two tracks are the original versions, not the arranged versions by Y. Koshiro.
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby sand4fish » Fri May 29, 2015 4:21 pm

BlueMue wrote: I don't get why there all the talk about the Vinyl has to be so Koshiro centric...

That's only natural, as Data Discs is collaborating directly with Koshiro on this. I really wish Ryuji Iuchi, Mitsuyoshi and others were on board too but well...

On another note, it seems Data Discs is already planning a trilogy for the Streets of Rage, so I expect Shenmue 2 to be in their plans too. Maybe then the other composers will be on this.

For the technical details on the remastering process for Shenmue's tracks, not much was given except Data Discs said it was remastered specifically for the vinyl format, by a very experienced mastering engineer in the US. And they are using the original soundtrack, not the orchestrated version.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mrslig100 » Fri May 29, 2015 7:24 pm

Alrighty 30th!
Shenmue record time!
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby Supa » Fri May 29, 2015 8:45 pm

Ziming wrote:
Supa wrote: Interesting...I assume they are using the Koshiro arrangements for the first two?

The first two tracks are the original versions, not the arranged versions by Y. Koshiro.

Thanks!

BlueMue wrote: I bet they are the regular versions. It would be lame if they are remixes, especially since they aren't labeled as such.
I don't get why there all the talk about the Vinyl has to be so Koshiro centric...

Because Koshiro collaborated with them on the Streets Of Rage remastering. And the Koshiro arrangements are not remixes...they are arrangements.

For example, here is the original "Shenmue":
phpBB [video]

And here is the Koshiro arrangement:
phpBB [video]

Supa has received a thanks from: rome
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Raithos » Fri May 29, 2015 8:57 pm

Sold. I'll gladly hang this on the wall next to Liquid Swords.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates