Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

Postby shredingskin » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:59 am

They are going to add paypal support, so that would increase the ammount.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby LikeZoinksYo » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:11 am

Damn the lack of physical PS4 Kickstarter reward to hell! Lmfao. It has become the bane of my existence :lol:
LikeZoinksYo
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby InsanityIsCrazy » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:13 am

Whats been the numbers on new registers / visits here since the announce? I know the old guard's mostly active now but I'm curious if the kickstarter news has put extra load on the site.
InsanityIsCrazy
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

XBL: InsanityIsCrazy
Currently playing: Some Gizmo

Postby Three Blades » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:17 am

From what I've heard, shorter kickstarters create a sense of pressure on the buyers because it gives them a sense of urgency, making them feel like they have to donate asap.
That said, they certainly should have made an announcement that the kickstarter was coming, before they actually started it. Something like "we're gonna have a kickstarter for Shenmue 3 next month" would have given people more time to prepare, maybe put some money aside to make bigger donations... I still haven't donated yet, but I doubt I'll be able to afford more than the 175$ reward. But if I had known in advance, I would certainly have saved up 500$ or more for it.

Damn the lack of physical PS4 Kickstarter reward to hell! Lmfao. It has become the bane of my existence

Same here man... I never, EVER buy digital, and never will. Shenmue is pretty much the only thing that could have made me do that.
Last edited by Three Blades on Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Three Blades has received a thanks from: LikeZoinksYo
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby InsanityIsCrazy » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:20 am

Three Blades wrote: From what I've heard, shorter kickstarters create a sense of pressure on the buyers because it gives them a sense of urgency, making them feel like they have to donate asap.
That said, they certainly should have made an announcement that the kickstarter was coming, before they actually started it. Something like "we're gonna have a kickstarter for Shenmue 3 next month" would have given people more time to prepare, maybe put some money aside to make bigger donations... I still haven't donated yet, but I doubt I'll be able to afford more than the 175$ reward. But if I had known in advance, I would certainly have saved up 500$ or more for it.

I suspect people here set aside money for shenmue like most parents set aside money for their childrens college

InsanityIsCrazy has received 2 thanks from: NeoShredder, Three Blades
InsanityIsCrazy
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby LikeZoinksYo » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:20 am

Three Blades wrote: From what I've heard, shorter kickstarters create a sense of pressure on the buyers because it gives them a sense of urgency, making them feel like they have to donate asap.

That's absolutely no problem, every donation helps, easily expendable income is not a reality for 95% or more of the population.
LikeZoinksYo
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby bikingjehuty » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:22 am

Regarding several concerns:

Choubu and Bailu Village won't be included unless the Kickstarter reaches a certain amount: Ys Net will not cut these stages from production, even if the Kickstarter only reached $5-million. Why? For one they are part of the Shenmue story and not including them would be akin to ripping several chapters out of a book and expecting you to know what was going on. More than that, we know this game is receiving significant funding from Sony and possibly other sources primarily. An extra million or two would not be enough to create a full new area like these anyways, HOWEVER, it would be enough to add extra missions, mini games, side quests, and NPC events, which is exactly what these stretch goals are addressing. Notice how on each of the Baisha Stretch goals it say EXPANDED. It does not say "Baisha Village Included", that's because it and the other two areas will be included! They were always meant to and I'm sure Yu would not have it any other way than to include every setting that is essentially to finishing the story.

The Kickstarter is losing steam and not making as much money as it was: As a crowd funding veteran and someone who follows these fairly often, the initial surge of enthusiastic backers during the first 2-3 days, followed by the subsequent slowdown is a trait of every major Kickstarter I've ever seen. In fact, Shenmue 3 still raking in close to 10k an hour is impressive in its own right. It will likely go down some more between day 5 to 25, plateauing around 5k an hour, but still, over the course of day that is 120k a day! And then there is the last 48-hours or so where it is common to see 15-30% of the overall funding come poring in from last mint backers. In fact, Shenmue 3 is the first project I didn't back in the last day or two of the campaign, and these is true of many people who are simply waiting until the end for one reason or another. But overall, Shenmue is well on its way to be at least a 7-million dollar campaign, smashing the previous record set by Bloodstained. It could even garner 10-million plus if Ys Net plays their cards right and we as a community push this game a hard as we possible can.
bikingjehuty
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby SheepheadCG » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:28 am

Edit: I misread ;)

Woop Shenmue 3!
Last edited by SheepheadCG on Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby Three Blades » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:28 am

InsanityIsCrazy wrote: I suspect people here set aside money for shenmue like most parents set aside money for their childrens college

Lol, I would have done that for sure if I hadn't honestly believed the game would never get made. For me, this is literally as if Michael Jackson appeared on live TV tomorrow, proclaiming that he'd only been on break for the last 6 years.
I literally thought this day would never come, which made the announcement that much more emotional :shock:
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:29 am

its actually slowed to around 7k per hour:

11.20am - $ 3,145,309 ($ 6579 )
12.20pm - $ 3,153,869 ($ 8560 )
1.20pm - $ 3,160,624 ($ 6755 )
2.20pm - $ 3,168,074 ($ 7450 )

but yeah its still respectable and I certainly hope the stretch goals are indeed just additional stuff to add to each area ;) seems logical
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby InsanityIsCrazy » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:32 am

bikingjehuty wrote: Regarding several concerns:

The Kickstarter is losing steam and not making as much money as it was: As a crowd funding veteran and someone who follows these fairly often, the initial surge of enthusiastic backers during the first 2-3 days, followed by the subsequent slowdown is a trait of every major Kickstarter I've ever seen. In fact, Shenmue 3 still raking in close to 10k an hour is impressive in its own right. It will likely go down some more between day 5 to 25, plateauing around 5k an hour, but still, over the course of day that is 120k a day! And then there is the last 48-hours or so where it is common to see 15-30% of the overall funding come poring in from last mint backers. In fact, Shenmue 3 is the first project I didn't back in the last day or two of the campaign, and these is true of many people who are simply waiting until the end for one reason or another. But overall, Shenmue is well on its way to be at least a 7-million dollar campaign, smashing the previous record set by Bloodstained. It could even garner 10-million plus if Ys Net plays their cards right and we as a community push this game a hard as we possible can.

This was also announced in the middle of the month, so people will probably wait until their next pay period before donating. I bet we'd see more donations if more people knew that their funding source won't be charged until after the kickstarter is over. I had to dig a bit to find that out.
Last edited by InsanityIsCrazy on Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
InsanityIsCrazy
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby spinksy » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:32 am

Let's all be honest even with all our big donations if they release a physical copy in future we'll all buy it again anyway lol
spinksy
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: spinksy777
Currently playing: Shenmue, skies of Arcadia

Postby Three Blades » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:35 am

Definitely. I'd love to see a box set to the entire series when it's done. I want to play it from beginning to end on one save file. I love that you can do that in 1 and 2, it would be a shame to remove that feature.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:38 am

spinksy wrote: Let's all be honest even with all our big donations if they release a physical copy in future we'll all buy it again anyway lol

once the kick-starter is finished they need to keep a donation button up somewhere, look at how much Star Citizen raked in afterwards.

They should also plan some additional merchandise separate from the game itself which they could make a profit on, I went all in on the $500 so there isn't much I could do further to donate towards the game, but if they announce some Shenmue related merch separate from the kickstarter pledges, I'll probably dive in and spend more.. as would others... more profit, more funding.. more Shenmue 3 :D
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Gen » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:40 am

I'm actually very happy that we will get japanese voices and Masaya Matsukaze, the original voice of Ryo. To be honest the english dub for Shenmue and Shenmue II was absolutely terrible even for the standards of the time and frankly I think the voice-acting wasn't worthy of a game of Shenmue's caliber. Sure, Corey marshall as Ryo is nostalgic and has a certain humorous charm but most of the time he sounded like an emotionless robot. I would rather see they used the money on other content in the game, but if they chose to include english voices I hope they get a whole new cast, with good voice-actors that can also be appreciated by a modern audience and not just nostalgic fans.
Gen

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates