Is anyone else concerned that...

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Is anyone else concerned that...

Postby Testament » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:22 am

...there won't be a big city in the game?

It's starting to look like Shenmue 3 encompasses a handful of old fashioned villages. Personally, the #1 thing I loved about Shenmue was exploring super detailed urban environments.

Regardless of this I'm still super stoked for Shenmue III, but is anyone else going to be disappointed if it's all nature and old timey huts? I wanna chug some cola and play Hang On :lol:
Testament
Master of the Three Blades

Re: Is anyone else concerned that...

Postby ryohazuki » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:28 am

Thats exactly what im concerned about thats why i also started the topic that shenmue 3 might be dry compared to first 2 and wont be that entertaining but im sure Yu will do something right. Whats best for story
ryohazuki
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby johnvivant » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:47 am

i think this game is going to be more comparable in size to shenmue 1 than 2. it will have that intimate feel again but just in a rural location. i love how every iteration has a different feel based on the environment. i'll trust suzuki with this.

johnvivant has received 2 thanks from: Esppiral, GoldenLotus
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BayStone » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:38 am

Yeah, personally, I'm not concerned about it, but rather expect it.

I think this is going to be a considerably smaller game in terms of land mass... smaller than SII. Maybe more actual locations, but smaller in size.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, the devs can cut... some of the auxiliary activities quite easily. That's not why I'm here really. They're great to have, but for Shenmue, not necessary. I think. :)
BayStone
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby yesteryeargames » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:41 am

We need some sort of industrial section for the fork lifts :)
yesteryeargames
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Splatoon

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:49 am

Suzuki-san said yesterday on the PS Live stream that while Shenmue 1 & 2 were full of exploration, Shenmue 3 would be more about the relationship between Shenhua and Ryo. Exploration and emotional encounters have always been a staple of the franchise, so if huge exploration is excluded for S3, it's not something I'd be overly upset about. Quite frankly I am more interested in the relationship aspect of these two characters and what the future lies ahead for them. My only hope is that we have days to weeks of game play like the original two games, rather than only a few hours. I hope the funds Yu gets is enough to make the game as grand as his vision.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Master Kyodai » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:00 am

Shenmue III will contain Capsule Toy machines, so i guess it's not all just in a forrest if that was your concern.

Master Kyodai has received a thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Esppiral » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:05 am

I don't think that the "new" approach to Shenmue III is new by any meaning, it fits perfectly the story of Shenmue II if you remember the 4th disc... it was all about that, so maybe it was planned like this since the beginning.

Later games could focus on other aspects as it did from Shenmue I (very intimate relationship with your neighborhood and friends) too Shenmue II (new adventures, huge areas populated with unknown people, more action etc)
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby Locke_cole » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:17 am

Shenmue 3 has been confirmed to end in Eugeon, Oregon for years. Suzuki confirmed this himself.
Locke_cole
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:49 am

Testament wrote: ...there won't be a big city in the game?

It's starting to look like Shenmue 3 encompasses a handful of old fashioned villages. Personally, the #1 thing I loved about Shenmue was exploring super detailed urban environments.

Regardless of this I'm still super stoked for Shenmue III, but is anyone else going to be disappointed if it's all nature and old timey huts? I wanna chug some cola and play Hang On :lol:

No, Shenmue II CD4 was basically a Shenmue III demo.
You were still exploring an environment but with Shenhua by your side. I remember losing my shit when I saw her running in the rain and well... Seeing Shenmue.

Also, old villages in Guillin must be filled with mystical tales and masters.

killthesagabeforeitkillsu has received a thanks from: Esppiral
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby NSN2014 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:55 am

I will admit, this has been a concern of mine. But it always has been, as soon as he stepped off into Guilin. I'm going to join the "Faith in Yu" team on this one, though. Smaller villages with intimate interactions are what got us hooked in the first place, right? I think part of the appeal of the urban areas rests with transporting the player not just to a different place (at least, for many of us), but a different era. There's a feeling you get from exploring the urban areas that you just can't get from rural locations. Rural, forested areas are far more easy to relate to, assuming you don't live in a large metropolitan area.

Still, like I said, I get the concern and I sympathize. But this has always really been about seeing the story to completion and finding out how it all wraps up. Gameplay - whether it be fighting, driving a forklift, picking up a piece of paper, or buying a soda - has always come first. For us fans of the urban landscapes, it's hard to say "just go back and play I and II," considering that's always been an option. Due to budget, coupled with modern expectations, it may just be too difficult to pull off. And really, it may not serve the story in any meaningful way. Yet no one has counted those areas out, either.

I think it's best to just wait and see. Oh, and send the development team feedback. It seems that they are open and welcoming to it!
NSN2014

Postby raunchy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:14 pm

you know, ive been thinking about this a lot lately. its hard to remember the scale of the originals because its been so long. i doubt even $4 million from the kickstarter will make a dent in the scope of the game. I think we have to set ourselves up for a very different experience. maybe a lot more linear. I just can't see how, even using a cheap engine and graphics, you could make it as open-world as the originals or more. Even the yakuza games were like $20 million+
raunchy

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Waiting for Fall games

Postby NSN2014 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:53 pm

raunchy wrote: you know, ive been thinking about this a lot lately. its hard to remember the scale of the originals because its been so long. i doubt even $4 million from the kickstarter will make a dent in the scope of the game. I think we have to set ourselves up for a very different experience. maybe a lot more linear. I just can't see how, even using a cheap engine and graphics, you could make it as open-world as the originals or more. Even the yakuza games were like $20 million+

I'm with you in thinking that we probably shouldn't start forming expectations so much on what came before. Supposedly Sony is contributing to the effort, but I don't believe any particular amount has been disclosed, and I don't anticipate that we'll find out. However, at this point, consensus of the fan-base (at least, prior to the announcement) seemed to be not in worrying whether Shenmue III was the best game in the series; in fact, it seemed that many people didn't care if Shenmue III was a game at all. That said, the fact that we're getting a playable continuation is huge. I'm with you in thinking that certain elements will be sacrificed or changed, but I'd be feeling that way even if the game had the budget of the first two games.

In one sense, including a city this time around would require much greater resources. Take people, for example. 20 or so people walking around on a city street just wouldn't cut it at this point. And adding more people, yet keeping with Shenmue's immersive nature (daily routines and dialogue) for each person would be a huge undertaking. It makes a lot more sense, then, to focus on smaller, less populated areas where focus will be given to more intimate details and objects. In that way, I agree again with you that there may be a greater sense of linearity. I don't think it will be totally linear, but it certainly won't be as open.

NSN2014 has received a thanks from: Jack
NSN2014

Postby darkratchet » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:56 pm

A bunch of these video game kickstarters have investors. I'm assuming Sony and Sega had a deal that if the kickstarter succeeded Sony would would front most of the money. No game as large as this could be funded for $4 million.
darkratchet
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby elmatto » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:57 pm

I'm not too concerned. I saw this part of the chapter playing out like a lot of old kung fu flicks. Like uh....like the movie kickboxer when Van Damme started scouting for the trainer in thailand. It had a lot of ancient ruins and small villages. I mean the movie was silly as fuck but you get the idea I'm trying to communicate here.
It's like Ryo goes from the modern world to the ancient where he becomes enveloped in the mysticism of nature and the old ways etc etc etc.

That's kind of what I'm expecting.

elmatto has received a thanks from: Himuro
elmatto

Next

Return to Shenmue III