kotaku.com: Getting the Shenmue license was easy

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

kotaku.com: Getting the Shenmue license was easy

Postby Monkei » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:36 am

UPDATE:

since the original content of this post was kind of confusing, due to inaccurate translation and questionable journalism, i'm editing it, as well as the title. originally this was about a french site claiming cedric biscay saying that getting the shenmue license from sega has been a huge problem for years, which according to an article from kotaku.com wasn't the case at all. cedric biscay wasn't saying that at all in the interview, it really only was what the author of the article was assuming/believing. here's the link to the kotaku article:

KeiyaE315 wrote: http://kotaku.com/getting-the-rights-to-shenmue-was-easier-than-you-d-thi-1712037863

"Getting The Rights To Shenmue Was Easier Than You'd Think"

The creator of the beloved open world games says all he had to do was ask. “They felt safe giving me the license to make the next one,” Yu Suzuki told me yesterday. Really, who else was Sega going to give it to?

Usually, when folks want to revive long-dormant video game franchises, they have to struggle through thorny legal and business dealings to figure out who allowed to do what. But to hear Yu Suzuki tell it, it was pretty easy to get the license to make Shenmue III from Sega. “They felt safe giving me the license to make the next one,” he told me yesterday.

original post below:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
like many of you, i'm returning to these boards after years and years of absence, so.. hey everyone! :)

we could pretty much assume that something like this had been the case for all of these years, but here we have it spelled out: in an interview with french site 20minutes.fr (which i discovered via german site gamefront.de) shenmue III co-producer cedric biscay states that sega actually was a big part of the problem for several years. the quotes below say that despite demands made by yu suzuki, sega refused to either sell the rights to shenmue or develop a sequel to the series for years, hindering the project from moving forward.

http://www.20minutes.fr/culture/1633203-20150617-e3-2015-coproducteur-francais-shenmue-3-raconte-dessous-revival
Reste à régler le problème Sega. Pendant des années, l'entreprise a refusé de produire une suite de Shenmue, qui s'était soldé par un fiasco financier sur Dreamcast. Mais l'entreprise japonaise ne voulait pas non plus céder les droits de licence, malgré les demandes de Suzuki. Biscay ne livre pas les détails mais indique que «Sega conserve les droits et a accepté le projet actuel ainsi que ses partenaires.»

http://www.gamefront.de
Sega hält weiterhin die Markenrechte an Shenmue und hat die Partner des Projektes akzeptiert, wie Shenmue III-Co-Producer Cedric Biscay gegenüber 20 Minutes bestätigt. Er sagt auch, dass sich Sega jahrlang quergestellt und geweigert hat, einen Nachfolger von Shenmue zu entwickeln. Ebenso wollte Sega die Marke nicht verkaufen.

of course, like all of you, i'm glad that they could finally come to an agreement, but damn. reading this makes me despise what sega has turned into even more. it's just sad. but oh well, WE'RE GETTING SHENMUE III, which still seems unreal to me. what a great time. :king:
Last edited by Monkei on Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monkei has received a thanks from: Phong
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Re: 20minutes.fr: SEGA willfully obstructive for years

Postby Hyo Razuki » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:50 am

I've read the Gamefront article. Sega being (part of) the problem did not surprise me at all, as sad as it is. :???:
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Three Blades » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:51 am

Sega has been nothing but a shameful pile of shit since 2003. This is just the cherry on the shit sundae.

Three Blades has received 3 thanks from: redline, Sonne2, TwiceFriedRice
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby The Big Landman » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:04 am

sega refused to either sell the rights to shenmue or develop a sequel to the series for years

Sorry but I don't think it's fair to blame Sega for either of those things. Sega is a business, and right now more than ever they are not taking unnecessary risks, so funding Shenmue was out of the question, and selling the IP? why would they do that? if they did they would not sell any kind of merchandise, like they have been doing every now and then, a company like Sega does not sell their IPs, on the contrary, they buy other properties to be even bigger (Relic, Atlus).

The Big Landman has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
The Big Landman
Asia Travel Representative

Postby spinksy » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:21 am

The Big Landman wrote:
sega refused to either sell the rights to shenmue or develop a sequel to the series for years

Sorry but I don't think it's fair to blame Sega for either of those things. Sega is a business, and right now more than ever they are not taking unnecessary risks, so funding Shenmue was out of the question, and selling the IP? why would they do that? if they did they would not sell any kind of merchandise, like they have been doing every now and then, a company like Sega does not sell their IPs, on the contrary, they buy other properties to be even bigger (Relic, Atlus).

So a sequel to the worst selling Sonic game ever made (Sonic:Boom) is not a financial risk.......

Sega just frustrates me at every turn these days
spinksy
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: spinksy777
Currently playing: Shenmue, skies of Arcadia

Postby The Big Landman » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:45 am

If they are making a sequel to the 3DS Sonic Boom game it means the game sold enough to give profits. I bet it was also a cheap game to produce.
The Big Landman

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:03 pm

They may be contractually obliged to do so n'all.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby GoldenLotus » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:12 pm

They're too busy pumping out sonic games. Do they not know if they brought back their old stuff, people would buy it?
GoldenLotus
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Bigwilma » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:36 pm

I've no idea who Biscay is, i'd never heard of him before the Shenmue III kicksarter was announced. Publicly criticising Sega for not allowing a third party and I include Yu in that to walk away with the rights to Shenmue is completely unprofessional and does not bode well. Sega sunk huge sums of money into Berkley/Shenmue, Isao Okawa at the time basically "kickstarted" the Dreamcast and furthermore footed the bill that the financial apocalypse inpart caused by Shenmue and the Dreamcasts demise. Whatever you think of Sega Sammy now, It's perfectly understandable that they would be reluctant about giving Yu/Biscay(whoever he is)/Sony the rights to Shenmue III. It's their IP, and it's commercial failure ultimately cost Sega billions.

Bigwilma has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Bigwilma

Postby ys » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:21 pm

English translation of the interview by UnluckyKate from NeoGAF :
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1065107

I didn't know that Biscay was a fan. And meeting with Yu in Monaco 2013?
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=45589&p=1037196
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Himuro » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:31 pm

ys wrote: English translation of the interview by UnluckyKate from NeoGAF :
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1065107

I didn't know that Biscay was a fan. And meeting with Yu in Monaco 2013?
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=45589&p=1037196

Apparently Biscay and Suzuki have history going as far as 2001.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Sonne2 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:36 pm

spinksy wrote:
The Big Landman wrote:
So a sequel to the worst selling Sonic game ever made (Sonic:Boom) is not a financial risk.......

Sega just frustrates me at every turn these days

GoldenLotus wrote: They're too busy pumping out sonic games. Do they not know if they brought back their old stuff, people would buy it?

Pretty much

phpBB [video]
Sonne2
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Peter » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:41 pm

Whilst criticisms of Sega may be warrented, at the end of the day they could have told Yu no to producing and distributing another Shenmue game. It would have been another Castlevania type situation....

But they didn't. Plus they are going to give Yu anything he needs for Shenmue III to be a success. So for that, they have my eternal thanks. And for equally being responsible for making Shenmue be a reality in the first place.

Peter has received 5 thanks from: JaySw34, MiTT3NZ, Thief, TwiceFriedRice, Yama
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:46 pm

Why bring this up now?
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby PacemaŜinobo » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:02 pm

Bigwilma wrote: I've no idea who Biscay is, i'd never heard of him before the Shenmue III kicksarter was announced. Publicly criticising Sega for not allowing a third party and I include Yu in that to walk away with the rights to Shenmue is completely unprofessional and does not bode well

Honestly, having read the original article en français, I can tell you the only one being critical is the journalist, not Biscay. The only direct quote they have from him about Sega goes as follows: Biscay wouldn't get into details but indicated that "Sega retain the rights and accepted the current project, as did their partners".

The author of the article, on the other hand, uses clearly critical phrasing such as "Sega had been refusing to produce a sequel for years" or "The Japanese firm wouldn't transfer the license to Yu Suzuki either, despite his multiple requests". Sega is also referred to as "the one problem that remained to be solved".
Last edited by PacemaŜinobo on Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PacemaŜinobo has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, Phong
PacemaŜinobo

Next

Return to Shenmue III