Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today 21:30 PST / 05.30 GMT

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Yu Suzuki doing Reddit AMA tomorrow!

Postby Himuro » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:21 pm

Luke_09 wrote:
Himuro wrote:
Luke_09 wrote: This is really strange I know, but I've never used Reddit, I don't know what it is or how to use it. How can I access Yu Suzuki's Q+A tomorrow on the website? The layout is pretty confusing to me. Is there anyway we can submit our questions in advance on the reddit website?

No you can't submit in advance. Sign up and tomorrow when his AMA goes up, post a question in it. What confuses you about the layout? Maybe I can help?

Thanks Himuro. To be honest I can't work out exactly how the website actually works. I'm not really sure what Reddit actually is.

I go onto http://www.reddit.com and i'm just greeted with a list of different topics down the main page, just seems a bit confusing. Is it just a website where people comment any certain topics? :???:

(Feel like I'm starting to show my age lol)

The subreddit where Yu will likely show is either r/gaming or r/iama

You can see them here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming

and

http://www.reddit.com/r/iama

Himuro has received a thanks from: Luke_09
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby SheepheadCG » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:34 pm

A quick overview/explanation of Reddit and how it works:

The main reddit page is a list of all the highest voted things of the day. Basically, people can post an item on different "sub reddits", which is a smaller section of reddit that is specifically for one subject. So for example you can have reddit.com/r/gaming which is huge, or you can have stuff like reddit.com/r/shenmue.

After creating an account (for free) anyone can go to these reddits and submit an item. This can be anything from a line of text (like a question or something) to a video, a link to a website, an image, or pretty much anything.

As a visitor to the site, you can Upvote or Downvote the content that people have posted by clicking the up and down arrow on the left side of the page, next to the title name. Reddit when then take into account the upvote to downvote ratio and will display this item on the Sub reddit that it is in.

So for example, I've posted some thoughts on the Shenmue Sub-reddit, (http://www.reddit.com/r/Shenmue/comment ... t_the_end/). If you look on the top right of the screen you can see that it has 24 points, with 95% upvotes. If that is a higher than the other items on the sub-reddit, it will be higher on the page, and will stay around for longer.

Another thing to mention, is that you can comment on any of the items with your thoughts (a lot of discussion goes on here) and people can also upvote or downvote your comments.

I hope that helps, if you need more help let me know and ill be happy to help out :)

SheepheadCG has received a thanks from: Luke_09
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby Luke_09 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:49 pm

SheepheadCG wrote: A quick overview/explanation of Reddit and how it works:

The main reddit page is a list of all the highest voted things of the day. Basically, people can post an item on different "sub reddits", which is a smaller section of reddit that is specifically for one subject. So for example you can have reddit.com/r/gaming which is huge, or you can have stuff like reddit.com/r/shenmue.

After creating an account (for free) anyone can go to these reddits and submit an item. This can be anything from a line of text (like a question or something) to a video, a link to a website, an image, or pretty much anything.

As a visitor to the site, you can Upvote or Downvote the content that people have posted by clicking the up and down arrow on the left side of the page, next to the title name. Reddit when then take into account the upvote to downvote ratio and will display this item on the Sub reddit that it is in.

So for example, I've posted some thoughts on the Shenmue Sub-reddit, (http://www.reddit.com/r/Shenmue/comment ... t_the_end/). If you look on the top right of the screen you can see that it has 24 points, with 95% upvotes. If that is a higher than the other items on the sub-reddit, it will be higher on the page, and will stay around for longer.

Another thing to mention, is that you can comment on any of the items with your thoughts (a lot of discussion goes on here) and people can also upvote or downvote your comments.

I hope that helps, if you need more help let me know and ill be happy to help out :)

Appreciate that mate, a lot clearer about it now! Thanks
Luke_09
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Bambi » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:54 pm

As others have mentioned I would ask him to consider making the stretch goals more straightforward and feature them at the top of the Kickstarter page, instead of at the bottom.
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby Supa » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:00 pm

In addition to the list by Himuro:

How much of Shenmue III was developed on Shenmue Saturn?
How much of Shenmue III was developed on Dreamcast/Xbox?
Do you see Shenmue III sharing the scope and prowess that the first two had? Not necessarily huge open worlds since we know we will be in remote China at least for a bit, but interactivity, features, etc.
Any plans to revisit Shenmue Online and/or Shenmue Gai as a companion or follow up to Shenmue III?
Are there 11 chapters, or 16? Where did Shenmue II leave off, and how many chapters will Shenmue III attempt to tackle?
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:42 pm

Will there actually be a sun in the sky this time?

EDIT: Oh, wait, there was one in Shenmue II wasn't there? Starting to get complacent with my smartarsery...
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Amir » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:55 pm

Supa wrote: In addition to the list by Himuro:

How much of Shenmue III was developed on Shenmue Saturn?
How much of Shenmue III was developed on Dreamcast/Xbox?
Do you see Shenmue III sharing the scope and prowess that the first two had? Not necessarily huge open worlds since we know we will be in remote China at least for a bit, but interactivity, features, etc.
Any plans to revisit Shenmue Online and/or Shenmue Gai as a companion or follow up to Shenmue III?
Are there 11 chapters, or 16? Where did Shenmue II leave off, and how many chapters will Shenmue III attempt to tackle?

I like these questions. Himuro's list is pretty good but no point asking about an Xbone version or a physical PS4 disc due to Sony's backing (the former will most likely never happen and the latter will most likely be at retail).

Redditors are being really cynical about this Kickstarter, hope they don't get Yu Suzuki down and that he manages to convince a few to donate.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby denile » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:58 pm

I'd ask about how the rapport system will differ from those used in Mass Effect or Oblivion.
denile
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Nahovil » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:03 pm

Himuro, there's no word on which subreddit it will be, but I suggest you update the original post to show the 9:30 PST starting time.
Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby NeoShredder » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:08 pm

I want to ask about how, once the game is funded, the community participation will play a part in its development. The game is at least two and a half years away. With all the vetern and new members coming back, I'm very exicted about the idea of us guys coming together and contributing by voting, suggesting ideas etc. Hell, we've poured over the two games in painstaking and almost academic detail for the past 14 years, and I want to know we can play a part.
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5

Postby JohnBlack » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:12 pm

Ryo model shown in trailer is close to final or we will see some major changes?
JohnBlack

Postby fif » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:13 pm

I'd ask :
Is the game going to be as he first intended to do it (storywise, open world size, number of characters etc) ? Or will he have to do some compromise due to financial reasons ?
Will the gameplay evolve, it's been 15 years after all, or will it be quite the same ?
Will the game be in Japanese voiceover by default ? English sucks for this game, don't waste money on that (even if I played the first one in english..) !
Will Ryo get the same face he had in the first two games (please !) ?

What really was best in the first two, beside the mood of the game and the story (which are usually retarded in video games) was the feeling that you could enter almost everywhere and talk to anyone, and open fucking drawers, even if that was most of the time quite useless. But it felt a little bit real. And he seems to want to push that really further so that's a good sign.
fif
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby shredingskin » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:17 pm

Do you (SEGA) still have the original files from shenmue 1 and 2 ? If so how much of it can be reused for the next game ?
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Amir » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:26 pm

shredingskin wrote: Do you (SEGA) still have the original files from shenmue 1 and 2 ? If so how much of it can be reused for the next game ?

He mentioned in the French interview about Sega letting him use assets from 1 and 2 to help with development. I don't think that means textures or models or anything, but more like scripts and plans and artwork.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby SheepheadCG » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:47 pm

An updated list from GavinGT over at GAF:

- Why no physical PS4 disc?
- What's the deal with the other two towns mentioned in the Kickstarter video?
- Can we have some more higher tier Kickstarter rewards, please?
- What do you forecast the final budget to be?
- Will the game have English and Japanese VO?
- Will Corey Marshall reprise his role?
- Can we play with Japanese voices and English subtitles?
- Will you finish the story with Shemue III?
- Do you have access to Sega-branded arcade games and capsule toys?
- Can you go into more detail about what the stretch goals actually mean?
- Will you update the controls?
- Will we see a return of some Shenmue I systems, such as lots of interactivity with objects?
- Will the free battle system still exist in the game?
- How will you update QTEs?
- How many developers do you plan to have working on the game?
- Is an Xbox One version out of the question?
- Do you have any specific cost-cutting measures in mind?
- Will the final game be at full price?
- What kind of things have been made easier/harder with technology improvements?
- Is the scale of the game closer to Shenmue I or II?
- How have your sensibilities as a game designer changed since Shenmue II?
- Do you plan to modernize Shenmue gameplay, while maintaining the original feel?
- How much funding do you need to make a game on the same scale as the originals?
- Regardless of stretch goals what is the minimum number of locations that will for sure be in the game?
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III