Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today 21:30 PST / 05.30 GMT

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Yu Suzuki doing Reddit AMA tomorrow!

Postby PacemaŜinobo » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:49 am

Q: Will there be an option to import the data from our VMU save files to preserve our moveset, training xp and inventory? It would definitely contribute to creating a sense of continuity.

Hi everyone! I'm a newcomer and I'm really excited about this long-time dream becoming real at last :D Sorry for my occasionally incorrect English.
PacemaŜinobo
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby SelfActualized » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:55 am

Question: Online is a big component of modern day gaming, is there any consideration for incorporating some type of online game play? Some type of mini-games, co-op missions or fighting modes?
SelfActualized

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Peter » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:06 am

I want to simply ask if there will be a notebook in Shenmue 3.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby NeoShredder » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:19 am

Peter wrote: I want to simply ask if there will be a notebook in Shenmue 3.

And the watch!
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5

Postby Peter » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:20 am

Yea. I've my account ready. That's all I would like to know.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby NeoShredder » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:31 am

By the way, whilst yes every spare penny should go to the fundraiser right now, for those new to Reddit I should probably make you guys aware of "Reddit Gold" or "Gilding". Essentially, you can give "Gold" for any post or comment and it shows up next to the post. The user who made the post gets privilledges on their account, and in turn the money goes to reddit (and not Shenmue or Yu Suzuki).

It's up to you guys as the poster, but it might help the post get more visibility and respect within the Reddit community. You'll also notice the 'Gilded' tab at the top of most reddit pages; this organises posts by amount of Gold within that thread. And Yu Suzuki won't have to look at Adverts on the site :P

More info here:

https://www.reddit.com/gold/about
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5

Postby shenhua legend » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:55 am

Because my time zone I can participate, I hope is saved somewhere.
shenhua legend
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Shenmuehua » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:57 am

SelfActualized wrote: Question: Online is a big component of modern day gaming, is there any consideration for incorporating some type of online game play? Some type of mini-games, co-op missions or fighting modes?

Even if I m not so much into online gaming myself I think your question is very important and interesting.

We need to ask this one too because it will give us informations about the game by the way he is answering.

Oh and does anyone see the thread on Reddit? I don t but I m an novice about Reddit. Thx in advance.
Shenmuehua

PSN: Shenmuehua
XBL: Shenmuehua
Steam: Shenmuehua
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue

Re: Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today!

Postby ShenmueTree » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:42 am

I don't think the thread will be on Reddit until 9AM PST, 12PM EST, and 5PM in UK.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby SheepheadCG » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:44 am

I've explained this in another thread, and was also the person who brought the AMA list in the OP over here from GAF.

We have been talking and have decided that the best way to make people understand that Kickstarter is going to be the main funding of Shenmue 3, is to straight out hear that from Yu's mouth. Therefore we are trying raise the following question in today's AMA. Please add this to the OP.

Today's AMA Goal:
Ask Yu Suzuki "Where does Yu-san expect most of the Funding to come from for Shenmue 3? And more importantly, how much does Yu-san want the Kickstater to reach in order for him to make the FULL vision for Shenmue 3?"

By asking this question, we should be able to get around the question of "how much are Sony funding?" (as he cannot comment on that) and once we have the answer we can spread the word. Even big news sites like kotaku, Ign etc, will be interested in how much Yu wishes to make.

Thank you.
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:49 am

SheepheadCG wrote: I've explained this in another thread, and was also the person who brought the AMA list in the OP over here from GAF.

We have been talking and have decided that the best way to make people understand that Kickstarter is going to be the main funding of Shenmue 3, is to straight out hear that from Yu's mouth. Therefore we are trying raise the following question in today's AMA. Please add this to the OP.

Today's AMA Goal:
Ask Yu Suzuki "Where does Yu-san expect most of the Funding to come from for Shenmue 3? And more importantly, how much does Yu-san want the Kickstater to reach in order for him to make the FULL vision for Shenmue 3?"

By asking this question, we should be able to get around the question of "how much are Sony funding?" (as he cannot comment on that) and once we have the answer we can spread the word. Even big news sites like kotaku, Ign etc, will be interested in how much Yu wishes to make.

Thank you.

Doesn't it state in the kickstarter campaign that sources of some funding won't be disclosed or divulged? I honestly don't think there will be cap, or he won't admit to it; "35 million," etc

I want to ask Suzuki-san about SEGA and if they've been helpful towards this endeavor, or if they've said they will commit any $ to the project. This man is the living embodiment SEGA, after all.
Wude-Tang Clan

Postby SheepheadCG » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:51 am

Wude-Tang Clan wrote:
Doesn't it state in the kickstarter campaign that sources of some funding won't be disclosed or divulged? I honestly don't think there will be cap, or he won't admit to it; "35 million," etc

I want to ask Suzuki-san about SEGA and if they've been helpful towards this endeavor, or if they've said they will commit any $ to the project. This man is the living embodiment SEGA, after all.

That is exactly what we are getting at. This question is worded in a way that it doesn't mention Sony or the external funding. He has been asked about how much they are putting in to the game, but he CANNOT comment. This way round, we will be able to work out how much he wants the kickstarter to hit and we can go from there.
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby nzk0 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:52 am

Someone should really tell Suzuki-San that Shenmue 3's promo video on Kickstarter sucks. If they want to reach 5-6M they need to come up with better promotional material to attract new players.

nzk0 has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
nzk0
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: nzk0
Currently playing: Sleeping Dogs

Postby Himuro » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:55 am

I have compiled a best of list of all of Shenmue Dojo's questions and concerns throughout this entire forum. I hope I did it with accuracy and respect. Please comment on how these may be improved and do not come off as combative towards Suzuki-san. Please share it on GAF and other sites so we may have some communication and sharing of ideas between our fanbase.

1. Will Shenmue III enable PayPal or a means to donate the project when the Kickstarter ends? Projects like Star Citizen gained tens of millions in donations by allowing this.

2. In Shenmue III will Ryo's notebook and Timex watch return?

3. Why does the Kickstarter page not give a good summary of the series thus far? It makes the series not come off as friendly for newcomers. Also, the Kickstarter page does not have the sites updates on it. That could be useful information for backers, would you consider implementing it?

4. In Shenmue III, will battles return? There has been talk that you are simplifying them, does this mean we will no longer get Virtua Fighter like fights? How will fights work? Will they be entirely QTE-based as seen in modern titles like Heavy Rain or will they still have corresponding punch and kick buttons like before?

5. How accurately will Shenmue III be compared to your original vision of the game or will there be major compromises?

6. Will Shenmue III be at Tokyo Game Show, GDC, and PAX or only Monaco?

7. Many fans want the option to play the game with a Japanese voice track. Is YSnet considering implementing this?

8. Are all the towns listed in the Kickstarter stretch goals in the game already, or are the stretch goals only there as a means to help give them more features and spice?

9. Sony and other investors only funding a part of the games budget. Does this mean most of the budget will come from the Kickstarter? More importantly, how much does Suzuki-san want the Kickstater to reach in order for him to make the FULL vision for Shenmue III?

10. It would be helpful if the Kickstarter made stretch goals more straightforward. As they are now, they are quite vague and confusing, even to experienced Shenmue fans. For example, what exactly is rapport?

11. Will the gameplay in Shenmue III be more contemporary or will it be more in line with past Shenmue iterations?

12. Seeing as how the game is set in a remote forested region how sparsely populated will the game be, will there be wildlife?

13. What will the level of npc interactivity be and how detailed will their behavior be?

14. How much of an influence will fan base feedback have during the making of this game?

15. Will you try to finish the story over the course of 2-3 more games as you originally envisioned?

16. Online is a big component of modern day gaming, is there any consideration for incorporating some type of online game play? Some type of mini-games, co-op missions or fighting modes?

17. I am new to Shenmue and don't find the Kickstarter promotional video to be terribly informative. Are there plans in making a new one? I'd like to back it on Kickstarter but nothing on the page is telling me what Shenmue remotely is.
Last edited by Himuro on Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Himuro has received a thanks from: SheepheadCG
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Amir » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:00 am

Question 11 has already been addressed, the rest of the questions are good.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III