About the character design

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: About the character design

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:40 am

I would really appreciate it if they could get the graphics level around the same quality or better as the PS4 Yakuza games. I think that look and graphics quality could easily be applied to Shenmue III, who knows maybe even the Yakuza team at Sega can give YS NET team some pointers in terms of graphics.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby BlueMue » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:27 pm

I'm sure you already noticed this and maybe it has been mentioned already but I want to bring this up again.

Shenhua wears earrings.

I find it a bit strange that she does that now. It doesn't really fit her really natural clothing and appearance.
Interestingly though, she did wear earrings in the past, on the artworks with the fancy dress on the OST and US Shenmue.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:41 pm

BlueMue wrote: I'm sure you already noticed this and maybe it has been mentioned already but I want to bring this up again.

Shenhua wears earrings.

I find it a bit strange that she does that now. It doesn't really fit her really natural clothing and appearance.
Interestingly though, she did wear earrings in the past, on the artworks with the fancy dress on the OST and US Shenmue.

I think thats the future.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ys » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:03 pm

Namron_Bearded wrote: One more thing to add : Ryo's jacket look very odd, like it's brand new or something. I hope that the designer will pay attention to how Ryo's jacket is, how it has aged, the details...

I also mentioned this earlier but hadn't seen anyone else comment it yet. Something with the shoulders, the material and it doesn't look as worn. But we don't have to worry I think. Yu has already said that he isn't satisfied with how some things in the trailer look so there will certainly be changes.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby murdiaries » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:57 pm

Looks great!! Albeit still looking too young and his jacket too clean, it's miles ahead of the current s3 doll. We have to bring it on Yu's attention somehow.
murdiaries
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Doom_Infinite » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:11 pm

I wouldn't want Shenmue III to compare to the Yakuza games. I find the Yakuza series never looks all that good visually when compared to other high end games.
Doom_Infinite
Master of the Three Blades

Postby johnvivant » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:24 pm

does anyone know the polygon count for Ryo's:
-dreamcast in-game head
- dreamcast passport model head
- dreamcast era cg artwork head
-potential unreal engine 4 in-game rendered head

or any polycount number for the dreamcast models to compare with potential unreal 4 models.

its just my curiosity asking...
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:01 pm

johnvivant wrote: does anyone know the polygon count for Ryo's:
-dreamcast in-game head

or any polycount number for the dreamcast models to compare with potential unreal 4 models.

Well, Ryo's head actually exists since it was sculpted by hand. Sadly it's probably filled with dust in some dark SEGA room.
Makes me wonder how good the in game model would look with current era technology.
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Monkei » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:15 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:
BlueMue wrote:I find it a bit strange that she does that now. It doesn't really fit her really natural clothing and appearance.

man, great point. didn't think of that yet. with all our theories about rebirth and stuff like that, are we overlooking the fact that she could simply change her clothes later in the story? she disguises herself as a common/poor girl and tests ryo's character, only to later on reveal herself as some kind of anti chiyou leader/princess of bailu village/something?
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:27 pm

KeiyaE315 wrote:
BlueMue wrote:I find it a bit strange that she does that now. It doesn't really fit her really natural clothing and appearance.

man, great point. didn't think of that yet. with all our theories about rebirth and stuff like that, are we overlooking the fact that she could simply change her clothes later in the story? she disguises herself as a common/poor girl and tests ryo's character, only to later on reveal herself as some kind of anti chiyou leader/princess of bailu village/something?

I believe she has China's Dynasty heritage but was hidden away on villages to avoid guys like Lan Di because of her powers.
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:42 pm

For 14 years of waiting, I think the designs will exceed expectations as when it was first released in 1999.

*Kenshin Himura* has received a thanks from: Sonne2
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby Esppiral » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:08 pm

-dreamcast in-game head

Ryo ingame model is around 1.900 polygons in Shenmue.
Ryo ingame model is above 3.000 polygons in Shenmue 2.
Ryo's passport body (yes it s a full body not just a face) around 15.000 polygons.
As for cgi models I read somewhere that they where in the line of 50.000 polygons.

I'll post some pics later.
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby code l name » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:57 pm

Esppiral wrote:
-dreamcast in-game head

Ryo ingame model is around 1.900 polygons in Shenmue.
Ryo ingame model is above 3.000 polygons in Shenmue 2.
Ryo's passport body (yes it s a full body not just a face) around 15.000 polygons.
As for cgi models I read somewhere that they where in the line of 50.000 polygons.

I'll post some pics later.

Looking forward to it
code l name
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Monkei » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:04 am

KeiyaE315 wrote:

I believe she has China's Dynasty heritage but was hidden away on villages to avoid guys like Lan Di because of her powers.

yeah, i could imagine something like that! :)
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby life_247 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:13 am

I don't know if anyone posted this or not but the character models used in the original Shenmue Engine are wierd. They're split into various parts with the head, body, arms, legs, feet and hair all being seperate models which are stiched by the movement engine.

Its not a simple import job to copy the old assets into the game (textures aside), also the assests are 15 years old - we've moved on. It will have to be done using the particular way the unreal engine handels character models, this gives them maximum flexability and its probably quicker to start again from scratch than trying to re-use old assests.

Back when Shenmue was developed the gaming world - especially on consoles - were using custom engines for everything. This isn't practical in this day and age where the development of these engines can outstrip the amount of time spent on a game!
life_247

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III