Lets remake the Kickstarter video

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Lets remake the Kickstarter video

Postby Xandui » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:09 pm

Hey all, ive seen a lot of discontent with the quality of the marketing around Shenmue 3 (i'm right there with you all). I'm glad it hasn't kept the game from getting funded, but with a few weeks left in the campaign we know this stuff can make a huge difference in attracting funding beyond the rabid folks that hangout here.

So my question is, are there any video editors in the dojo who want to take a stab at recutting a kickstarter video? Between the original video and the interviews they're posting, i think there is enough footage to do something better than what they came up with, at the very least just cut out the in-depth explanation of technique scrolls.

If i had any video editing ability myself i would give this a shot, but figured it was worth pitching to the group given the nice videos ive seen come out of this community over the years.

Just shooting from the hip, but here what I think the video shouldve been:

1) "14 years ago, Shenmue 1 & 2 told the story of Ryo Hazuki's quest to avenge the murder of his father"

2) Shenmue was reveloutionary at the time for XYZ reasons (clips from interviews with Yu, former Shenmue team members, gaming press, etc)

3) The Shenmue saga was never finished and a passionate community has been clammoring for a sequel since Shenmue 2 shipped

4) Now finally, the creator of Shenmue is ready to finish the story with your help

5) Shenmue 3 will continue Ryos story as he continues his journey with the mysterious Shenhua

6) Help make Shenmue 3 as amazing as the first 2 by funding the crap out of it (imply how expensive this type of game is)

Also, i think they shouldve just shown scenes from the first 2 games instead of weird demo footage with horrible voice acting. Seriously if i didnt already love shenmue and i saw those plastic renderings of Ryo + Shenhua, speaking like robots, and stiffly jumping on stones i would never fund this.

Xandui has received 6 thanks from: Anthony817, Axm, johnvivant, shredingskin, Sonne2, we420
Xandui
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Re: Lets remake the Kickstarter video

Postby Xandui » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:22 pm

I would also probably donate some amount of money to someone who knows video production and could get this done on a reasonable budget, im guessing im not alone in that feeling given how willing we all are to burn our personal fortunes for this series.
Xandui
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Axm » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:04 pm

Thanks for this post. This is absolutely a great way to help the marketing of the kickstarter. Cause all its getting right now are click bait articles telling people Sony are now in control.
Please someone with some skill in video editing step up to this.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Jibby » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:14 pm

I'll give it a go. I've worked with software like Sony Vegas for about 6 or 7 years now and am just getting into Adobe After Effects. I should be able to make something that looks pretty professional and informative that meets the criteria. I can't do any voiceovers but there should be enough in the different interviews to work with, that is unless someone else wants to do a voiceover and send it to me?
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Jibby » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:59 am

Alright, so here's what I've come up with so far. It's really just the intro, but I'll get round to including all of the information in the OP soon.
phpBB [video]

Jibby has received 8 thanks from: Amir, Anthony817, Bambi, Esppiral, Mr357, myshtuff, Sonne2, we420
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Amir » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:08 pm

Jibby wrote: Alright, so here's what I've come up with so far. It's really just the intro, but I'll get round to including all of the information in the OP soon.
phpBB [video]

Looks cool, but I think the focus needs to be more on the epic scale and ambition of the originals rather than the story, which newcomers probably won't care about. Maybe a 15-sec montage at the beginning of Yu Suzuki's other games, such as Space Harrier, Hang On, Outrun, etc., to emphasise why he is such a big deal?
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Esppiral » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:52 pm

Riken made a glorious video some time ago.

phpBB [video]

I really like it.

Esppiral has received 2 thanks from: Amir, Anthony817
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby johnvivant » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:53 pm

Could the shenmue documentary film makers help? they must have something like this for their documentary. maybe they could adapt it for purposes of promoting the kickstarter.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Esppiral » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:12 pm

Here it is another one from the youtube channel Dreamcasters, It looks superb and I don't know how they managed to make it run at 60 fps :shock:

phpBB [video]
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby raunchy » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:16 pm

i can provide a voice-over if you wanna edit something together. i would also suggest including some generic gameplay of ryo walking around, talking to people. maybe some brief snippets of the major characters.
raunchy
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Waiting for Fall games

Postby Jibby » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:31 pm

Good ideas in this thread. I'm actually using footage from that Shenmue Memories video for my video as it's possibly the highest quality Shenmue footage that exists. I agree that I should focus on the name of Yu Suzuki more and why Shenmue was such a big deal, so I'll tweak what I have a little and continue from there. Raunchy, I'll try and get in touch about a voiceover once I know exactly what I'm doing with the video and have a close to final product that I and the rest of the community are happy with.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby 7heavens » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:09 pm

Hi,
It may also be a good idea to include some of the early material of shenmue especially the stuff that illustrates its development stages. Such as clips of the saturn version, clips of the project berkley fmv sequence, and possibly some of the clips that show the inspiration for the series when yu suzuki went to china to research martial arts for virtua fighter.

Possibly some clips and quotes from the game that convey its oriental flavour and philosophy.

Theres enough material out there to make this video very inspirational and epic.
7heavens
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Mr357 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:24 pm

Esppiral wrote: Here it is another one from the youtube channel Dreamcasters, It looks superb and I don't know how they managed to make it run at 60 fps :shock:

phpBB [video]

I recently discovered that channel. They have some really great stuff, especially the video you embedded.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Jibby » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:16 pm

Ok, so here's a second version which focuses more on the achievements of the first two games and uses them as an incentive to back the kickstarter for the third. I also outline that the majority of funding comes from us and that the more we pledge the more we get in return. I want to add a section to the video which explains the stretch goals (right after it cuts off) but I'll probably do that tomorrow. Hope you guys like it!
phpBB [video]

and is it just me or is the layout of the last few posts broken?

Jibby has received 4 thanks from: Amir, Bambi, Shenmuehua, ShenSun
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby 7heavens » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:22 pm

Thats awsome
7heavens