No Japan in Shenmue 3, Confirmed.

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

No Japan in Shenmue 3, Confirmed.

Postby ImGladUmad » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:55 am

Will Ryo ever go back to Japan?

[–]Yu_Suzuki[S] 12 points 14 minutes ago

Not in 3.

Damn this sucks. I hope he is lying because he mentioned japan before in an interview but I guess not.

This is really bad, Country side Shenmue could be great or be disaster IMO...I really hope a decent chinesse city that looks relatively modern takes its place.
ImGladUmad
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: No Japan in Shenmue 3, Confirmed.

Postby joka » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:59 am

Storywise it makes sense- Ryo is on a mission to avenge his father so he's not heading back to Japan until he's caught up to LAN Di..... And he's obviously getting caught up in a bigger purpose with Shenhua so Japan would only be a valid destination in the last 1/2 chapters which S3 isn't covering as is pretty clear after this Q & A

joka has received a thanks from: Esppiral
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:03 am

joka wrote: Storywise it makes sense- Ryo is on a mission to avenge his father so he's not heading back to Japan until he's caught up to LAN Di..... And he's obviously getting caught up in a bigger purpose with Shenhua so Japan would only be a valid destination in the last 1/2 chapters which S3 isn't covering as is pretty clear after this Q & A

^ This. And besides Choubu is a village with shops, souvenir stores, hotels and temples (confirmed by Yu on Reddit). It has already been stated by Yu that S3 will be dramatically smaller than Shenmue 2 was in scope as it focuses more on the relationship of characters than the environment.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:21 am

No surprise here.

Kotaku said sh*t.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:22 am

I don't have any objections whatsoever about Shenmue not taking place in Japan. In fact the prologue to Shenmue hints at that: "He shall appear from a eastern land across the sea." Meaning the hero of the saga will come from abroad and cross the sea westward into China. Shenmue 1 was only the introduction and is meant to give the audience an explanation why a Japanese small town boy embarks on this journey to China.

Remember that Shenmue 1 closes with the words "And thus the saga begins." I think Yu never meant Shenmue to have that much to do with Japan.

I've been to small villages near the city of Guilin in Guangxi Province, China like those Shenmue 3 will probably take place in and I absolutely love those places and the people there. It was one of the best holidays I've ever had and I'm happy to be able to "go back there", this time not as myself but as Ryo Hazuki. :D
Last edited by Hyo Razuki on Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: Yama
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:23 am

Hyo Razuki wrote: I don't have any objections whatsoever about Shenmue not taking place in Japan. In fact the prologue to Shenmue hints at that: "He shall appear from a eastern land across the sea." Meaning the hero of the saga will come from abroad and cross the sea westward into China. Shenmue 1 was only the introduction and is meant to give the audience an explanation why a Japanese small town boy embarks on this journey to China.

Remember that Shenmue 1 closes with the words "And thus the saga begins." I think Yu never meant Shenmue to have that much to do with Japan.

I've been to small villages near the city of Guilin in Guangxi Province, China like those Shenmue 3 will probably take place in and I absolutely love those places and the people there. It was one of the best holidays I've ever had and I'm happy to be able to "go back there", this time not as myself but as Ryo Hazuki. :D

You deserve a ban just for using that horrible text colour.

south carmain has received 3 thanks from: Himuro, NeoShredder, SelfActualized
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:25 am

Changed it. Just wanted to see what it looks like. I hate this standard text colour. Gotta find a good one
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:31 am

Hyo Razuki wrote: Changed it. Just wanted to see what it looks like. I hate this standard text colour. Gotta find a good one

Anything that isn't yellow or orange.... :P
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Miles Prower » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:59 am

I'm not really sure why people were expecting him to return to Japan before the end of the saga anyway....didn't Yu confirm years ago he was headed to Taiwan eventually as well?
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:09 am

Sonoshee wrote:
Hyo Razuki wrote: Changed it. Just wanted to see what it looks like. I hate this standard text colour. Gotta find a good one

I think orange or yellow would be quite readable with this kind of background color. I just don't like the standard font being grey, while the background is a slightly darker tone of grey, like in this post. Just hurts my eyes, I hate it. Why not orange? Think I might as well choose something green-ish.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:11 am

Hyo Razuki wrote:
Sonoshee wrote:

I just don't like the standard font being grey, while the background is a slightly darker tone of grey, like in this post. Just hurts my eyes, I hate it.

Why does it really matter when it won't change the post colour of others anyway in that case?

south carmain has received a thanks from: Yama
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:17 am

Can you link the interview where Yu Suzuki said Ryo would go back to japan during Shenmue III? I'm pretty sure he will be training in China for years.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:20 am

south carmain wrote:
Hyo Razuki wrote:
Sonoshee wrote:

I just don't like the standard font being grey, while the background is a slightly darker tone of grey, like in this post. Just hurts my eyes, I hate it.

Why does it really matter when it won't change the post colour of others anyway in that case?

I want my own posts to look good. Can't help the others. :D
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:27 am

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: Can you link the interview where Yu Suzuki said Ryo would go back to japan during Shenmue III? I'm pretty sure he will be training in China for years.

If you're talking about the recent intervew :
http://kotaku.com/getting-the-rights-to ... 1712037863
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby joka » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:31 am

Yokosuka wrote:
killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: Can you link the interview where Yu Suzuki said Ryo would go back to japan during Shenmue III? I'm pretty sure he will be training in China for years.

If you're talking about the recent intervew :
http://kotaku.com/getting-the-rights-to ... 1712037863

Specifically “In Shenmue III, we will have places like Japan and China, of course.''

But the Japan reference could have been in regards to some sort of cut scene/flashback not an actual environment. Could also be the translation of what Yu said... Maybe he didn't say 3 and was talking about the series at that point- changes the whole statement...
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Next

Return to Shenmue III