What would you want changed for a Shenmue HD?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: What would you want changed for a Shenmue HD?

Postby rigo8582 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:51 am

As much as I got used to the tank controls. I would like better controls as far as movement. Obviously money and items carry into the next game.

I didn't get a chance to play Shenmue 2 on dreamcast. I only played it on the Xbox. Did money and items made from the first shenmue carry to the 2nd one?
rigo8582
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: qbanb8582
XBL: rigo8582
Steam: rigo8582
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby BlueMue » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:14 am

rigo8582 wrote:Did money and items made from the first shenmue carry to the 2nd one?

Yeah they did and even the time you arrive in Hong Kong is adjusted to when you've finished the first game.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Three Blades » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:52 am

In what manner would the boat be implemented?

I think the reason they didn't have the boat chapter was because it would have been anti-climactic after the perfect ending we got in Shenmue 1. It ended at just the right place in the story.

And it also couldn't be at the beginning of Shenmue 2, because it would have felt like it was delaying the true beginning of the game. It would feel like those annoying tutorial levels that some games have, that you just try to get through as quickly as possible to get to the main game.

I think the best way to include it would be as an option in the menu at the beginning, but it only shows up after you've beaten the game/watched the ending/saved your game.
Kinda like in Resident Evil how they had new game modes after you beat the main game.

Three Blades has received 3 thanks from: Anthony817, Miles Prower, Upstairsmuffin
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Himuro » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:01 pm

Japanese language option - important.

Save anywhere option.

The ability to wait. I'm mixed on this because I feel waiting is integral to the Shenmue experience as it forces and builds patience within the player that is tied to Ryo's quest. But I still find it important enough to be an option for those that want it.

I'd also love for the game to have the Passport.

Himuro has received 3 thanks from: Anthony817, Axm, Yama
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Yukupo » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:17 pm

I agree about modernizing the controls. Its not that they bothered me but I know its a big deal to many people and making the game more accessible is important. I also want the updated Shenmue II stuff. And I'd absolutely love being able to select the language. (Having a capsule toy shelf you could place your toys would be pretty awesome as well.)

Supa wrote: Yeah, I forgot about how much the Magic Weather system shrunk in Shenmue II. It had to have snowed at least once in Hong Kong in early 1987.

As cool as it would be to see snow again, Hong Kong is sub tropical. In fact the last time slight snow was even seen was 1975.

Yukupo has received a thanks from: Anthony817
Yukupo
Digital Artist
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Himuro » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:27 pm

Fixing the controls is integral as well.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:17 pm

- The ability to play cassette tapes on-the-go
- Improved movement controls
- 3D camera
- 'Wait' feature in Shenmue
- Choice of English and Japanese dubs
- Replace the rotary dial with keypads on the phones
- New capsule toys
- Training areas in Shenmue II
- Developer commentary
- Performance improvements: 1080p/60FPS, no pop-in, improved shadow and lighting, etc.

All I can think of for now.

Things such as the lack of a 'Wait' feature in Shenmue never bothered me because I would always find something to busy myself while waiting for a certain time, but I'm sure it would be appreciated. Saying that, I think it would be awesome if they included the ability to switch between the original Shenmue and Shenmue HD (or whatever it's going to be called), just like Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, for the classic and re-envisioned experience.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Himuro » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:33 pm

ShenGCH wrote:- Replace the rotary dial with keypads on the phones

no.

NO.

[-X [-( =;

Himuro has received 4 thanks from: Anthony817, Supa, theseabass, Upstairsmuffin
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Anthony817 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:38 pm

Licensed Coke machines, options for both JAPANESE and English VO's, ability to have updated controls like in the Dreamcast version of 2 where you can pick if you want to use D-Pad or analog, and move the camera controls to the eight analog when controlling with left stick.

Ability to import saves from the first game to the 2nd, and from 2nd to 3rd and so on.

I would also like to have the parts of the games restored where there were significant changes in the western release on things like the statue with baby Jesus, Yuan refereed to as a man or use a mans voice for her if she likes to be called a she.

I think with these changes, and having options for both voices since HDD space isn't much of an issue now we could have the ULTIMATE Shenmue 1 and 2 releases. I prefer the English VO's, but I can respect those who want the original Japanese.
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: Anthony817
Currently playing: Shenmue II English 99min

Postby Miles Prower » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:14 pm

Himuro wrote:
ShenGCH wrote:- Replace the rotary dial with keypads on the phones

no.

NO.

[-X [-( =;

I concur. HELL NO. It's accurate to the time, and there's something weirdly satisfying about dialling the numbers that way...

Miles Prower has received 2 thanks from: Himuro, Supa
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:30 pm

-The option to select Japanese VO
-The wait system from Shenmue II
-Ability to save anywhere
-Keep the rotary phones, but be able to auto-dial if you'd like :-P
-Updated control options.

And the super pipe-dream feature:
-Re-record all of the English VO to get better performances

Tomato Convenience Store has received a thanks from: Anthony817
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:59 pm

Eh, I just want the game in HD, to hell with modernising the control scheme and putting in stuff from Shenmue 2. I prefer the game as is, warts and all.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:18 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Eh, I just want the game in HD, to hell with modernising the control scheme and putting in stuff from Shenmue 2. I prefer the game as is, warts and all.

Yeah but an important part of an HD re-release is to draw in new fans to the series. A few of these minor improvements can make a pretty big difference. It's not like there would be a complete overhaul to gameplay systems or anything.
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby myshtuff » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:05 pm

The ability to stay out past curfew would be pretty cool. Also since there's no more vmu's maybe let those features display on a smartphone like secondscreen that Xbox implemented. Could be neat.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Three Blades » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:37 am

Even putting aside the skill of the actors, playing Shenmue 1 in Japanese really makes the game a lot more immersive and realistic. The first time I played it in Japanese, I was amazed that all the characters in the game spoke with the accents of their country of origin. The Chinese people really have a chinese accent, westerners speak broken Japanese (Tom especially, he comes off totally different in the Japanese version) and some people even tell you they can't help you because they don't speak Japanese (this was changed in the English version.

I find it sad that Shenmue 1 never had a proper subtitled version with Japanese voice acting and English subtitles. I get that people should be able to select English if they want to, but there really should have an option for both. Surely the Dreamcast disc size played a role in not having that option, but nowadays there's no reason not to have both.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue