Andrew House Interview - Sony Computer Entertainment CEO

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: AV Watch interview with Andrew House (Sony, funding)

Postby JaySw34 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:29 am

Sonoshee wrote: I'd honestly like to think they'd find a way of getting a lot of the stretch goals in if the KS doesn't reach the $10 million needed... [-o<

I feel the same way
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Switch » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:39 pm

Here you go, hopefully a bit more readable than Google's effort (just translating the part relating to Shenmue).

Interview with Andrew House (CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment)

AV Watch:

Three huge titles were announced today, with each receiving standing ovations at the press conference. Being there in the room myself, it was such a moving and joyful event.

Of the three, regarding Shenmue III in particular: will SCE be providing development support from a funding point of view? To a certain extent, has a limited contract been formed between Yu Suzuki and the studio for the raising of funds?

Andrew House:

Yes, that’s correct.

To add a bit more to that, originally Yu Suzuki formed the intention to carry out the development by raising funds through Kickstarter. That was the start of it all. The moment I and our team heard that, we thought “This is interesting” and we decided we wanted to support it, one way or another.

However before that, we wanted to confirm if there was really the fan base. Sony would then provide backing upon the crowd funding reaching its goal. Consequently, for the consoles the title will be exclusive to the PS4.

But either way Suzuki wanted to do this through Kickstarter. That being the case, we also want to give our support. And I believe our holding the announcement at the recent press conference is a large expression of that support, because from the stage we can let everyone know about its existence.

We’re not talking about our power, though! The success is due to the power and popularity that Shenmue already holds. Even Kickstarter apparently became temporarily unavailable due to the concentrated accesses -- amazing.

Switch has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, NeoShredder
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Doom_Infinite » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:54 am

I've got to be honest but reading that is muddling my understanding of this once again. This morning Cedric Biscay said Sony is only advertising and tweaking the PS4 ver. but reading this it sounds like Sony's more active than that in funding this. This isn't making things any easier. : /
Doom_Infinite
Master of the Three Blades

Postby elmatto » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:33 am

Doom_Infinite wrote: I've got to be honest but reading that is muddling my understanding of this once again. This morning Cedric Biscay said Sony is only advertising and tweaking the PS4 ver. but reading this it sounds like Sony's more active than that in funding this. This isn't making things any easier. : /

Yeah my thoughts exactly.
I'm starting to get confused.
elmatto

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby 7heavens » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:45 am

No need to get confused, its confirmed that sony will help with funding towards the ps4 port of shenmue 3.

The actual development of d game is dependant on ysnet and the kickstarter etc
7heavens

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby BayStone » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:13 am

7heavens wrote: No need to get confused, its confirmed that sony will help with funding towards the ps4 port of shenmue 3.

I'm having a hard time understanding... or more appropriately accepting that. :) Or even more appropriately, what does porting mean in this case. The engine is UE4, so no actual porting, if you're not doing anything special, is necessary.

EDIT: They could be talking about some PS4 related development, but then... I dunno. :???:
BayStone
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:15 am

Yeah, my takeaway from the info we've seen is:

1) The kickstarter money directly goes to YS Net, so any extra money they make here goes directly into Shenmue III's development.
2) Sony is chipping in with a certain amount of funding in exchange for console exclusivity.
2a) It's not *quite* clear if that money is marketing, development, or "porting" the game to PS4. I would guess there's just a set amount of money that Sony is providing for development - not necessarily exclusive "for porting". Unless funding the PS4 port means creating exclusive features or content for the PS4 version.

I'm guessing that the cost of development is "kickstarter money + $5 Million (just a random number for arguments sake) from Sony regardless of total kickstarter money".

No matter Sony's role or how much they are providing in funding, I think the important take-away is the kickstarter money all goes to YSNet, so the more money it makes, the better.
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby Doom_Infinite » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:20 am

My reading isn't so great but I speak Japanese and I examined that part and the translation is correct. This is sure to confuse many Japanese backers.

Some days ago (I think in that French video interview) on the web I remember seeing that Biscay is in charge of finding funding for the PC version which makes that one look like the secondary platform (Suzuki himself seems to have been dealing with Sony so it sounds like the leading platform).

So if Sony is helping finance the PS4 version that could mean in publishing and even developing (assisting in taking advantage of the hardware wouldn't be funding as that's rather normal to do), on top of marketing. But if they are so sure they've secured exclusive rights why is the Kickstarter Faq still unclear about that point (saying "other platforms have not been decided yet"). If Sony has determined their role why is it not up on the KS yet (without going into specifics with numbers), it should be explained since it's out there in interviews and video and it's not helping sorting out the importance of the KS to backers. I think Awesome Japan needs to get on top things very quickly.
Doom_Infinite

Postby 7heavens » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:21 am

To be frank and honest, the way i see it, who cares about the specifics of how much and for which aspect of project sony is funding. According to yu suzuki its obviously not enough to fulfil his vision of a true open world experience. And for that he said he'd need 10mil. People can take his word or not.
7heavens

Postby BayStone » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:27 am

7heavens wrote: To be frank and honest, the way i see it, who cares about the specifics of how much and for which aspect of project sony is funding. According to yu suzuki its obviously not enough to fulfil his vision of a true open world experience. And for that he said he'd need 10mil. People can take his word or not.

Ultimately, yeah, absolutely. :) But that said, it would be nice to get this strangeness and lack of information out of the way. Transparency was a thing, I think.

But as per usual publishers like to be dubious. :D
BayStone
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby sand4fish » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:28 am

sand4fish has received a thanks from: Giorgio
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Previous

Return to Shenmue III