Will Shenmue III's success force Sega's hand?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Will Shenmue III's success force Sega's hand?

Postby Valascaziel » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:56 pm

Long time reader here, first time poster. Hello to everyone.

Well, here we are 14 years later, and our tireless efforts have culminated in a successful and ongoing Kickstarter to see Ryo's story contiinue.

That said, do you feel Shenmue 3's runaway success will force Sega to release HD Remasters of the first two games, OR do you think it more likely they will release the rights to Yu to make them if he asks?

On a completely random note, how would you guys feel if Sega themselves donated to the Kickstarter?
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Re: Will Shenmue III's success force Sega's hand?

Postby Peter » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:59 pm

Welcome!

Heres hopng it does!
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Sonoshee » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:10 pm

Valascaziel wrote:do you feel Shenmue 3's runaway success will force Sega to release HD Remasters of the first two games, OR do you think it more likely they will release the rights to Yu to make them if he asks?

I imagine they would get one of their own teams on it, maybe even AM2. Yu would be too busy with Shenmue 3 to really work on updating the first two games. Sega could even outsource the HD update to another company.

Valascaziel wrote:On a completely random note, how would you guys feel if Sega themselves donated to the Kickstarter?

I couldn't see them donating to the KS. If they were going to give funds to the cause, it would be directly to Yu. They might have made some token gesture when handing over the material he needed to help with Shenmue 3. They could even be one of these other sources of funding that Yu has stated his company has secured. We really don't know yet but in all fairness, I'm happy enough with Sega - they gave Yu the license and some of the resources he needed from the first two games. They are a big reason why Shenmue 3 is even happening.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Doom_Infinite » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:32 pm

They shouldn't HD master the first 2. They should remake them using Unreal 4 with Shenmue III's assets. :'p

But since Yu Suzuki will be too busy on Shenmue IV by then, so he should supervise and hand it to a different team lol. Gosh to think a month ago Shenmue III still seemed like just a dream.
Doom_Infinite
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:45 pm

Best bet for this is to let Gio Corsi know. He is the guy in charge of Sony's third party relations and the guy who partly made the Shenmue III announcement a reality. His been working with SEGA to get Yakuza 5 over so he has the connections. If everyone is doing this $30 on the 3rd they should also tweet at Gio.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: elfshadowreaper
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby JaySw34 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:18 pm

I'd love to see them recreate both I and II similar to how they are remaking FF7. The ideal scenario would be for them to release it a couple months before 3 comes out. But obviously the chances are very slim. However, even if Sega were to at least release HD remasters at some point before 3 came out, I feel that they could potentially profit off it due to the current buzz surrounding the series

**Edit**
Welcome to the dojo by the way
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby bikingjehuty » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:17 pm

I'm sure at this point they've taken notice. Depending on how well the KS goes I wouldn't be surprised if they did some re-release of the first two games.
bikingjehuty
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:21 pm

Sega is completely stupid if they don't get in on this. But sega isn't completely stup...oh yeah. At this point I think sega seems to be going the way of Konami.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:32 pm

If you want it tweet at Gio letting him know. The more people who do it the higher it goes on Sony's list.

Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Return to Shenmue III