Shu Yoshida clarifies "Are they or arn't they funding?"

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Shu Yoshida clarifies "Are they or arn't they funding?"

Postby ConanTheKing » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:16 am

"There's a variety of ways of support, including financial support. When the game's not being funded at that point, the developer has to come up with some funding themselves, for third party relations team to help - because third party relations is third party relations - if we fund the project then it's first party! It's my job! There's a great difference. If Suzuki's Kickstarter is successful [and very quickly after our conversation it was], SCEA will add funding and other support."

Source:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... -shenmue-3

I think offers the best clarification so far, generally from what I have seen is commitments by Sony people to support this game but little detail as to how. Some people say in marketing, funding the game, making sure it works on the PS4 etc.
ConanTheKing
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ConanTheLeader
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Shu Yoshida clarifies "Are they or arn't they funding?"

Postby KidMarine » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:32 am

. If Suzuki's Kickstarter is successful [and very quickly after our conversation it was], SCEA will add funding and other support."

This sort of adds credence to the "the Kicksarter is to gage interest" theory, doesn't it? The question is how much funding.

KidMarine has received a thanks from: Hyo Razuki
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Peter » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:35 am

It's just my opinion, but I honestly honestly believe that whatever the Kickstarter makes, Sony will double it. Even if they don't, I have full confidence that other funding will come from investors.

Either way, I have absolutely no doubts Suzuki will get over 10 million for this project. If other people wanna drive themselves insane over budget fears and worries then fair enough, but I don't get the stress it's worth.

Peter has received a thanks from: myshtuff
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Thief » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:38 am

I wish I could look at this from a stress free outlook. But I'm just a worrier by nature. Honestly, the kickstarter has caused me tons of anxiety and has greatly inhibited my daily routine. I need to take a step back from all this... but I can't.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby KidMarine » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:43 am

Peter wrote: It's just my opinion, but I honestly honestly believe that whatever the Kickstarter makes, Sony will double it. Even if they don't, I have full confidence that other funding will come from investors.

Maybe that "it needs $10 million" quote is already taking other funding into account? I just wish we could get a clear answer on this.

Peter wrote:If other people wanna drive themselves insane over budget fears and worries then fair enough

Oh believe me I'm already losing sleep over this, lol.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Thief » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:45 am

We just need to accept every "answer'' as going to be ambiguous as fuck and ignore them. Instead, we should just focus on ways to raise as much money as possible regardless of the amount needed.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby KidMarine » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:48 am

The Kickstarter made around $60,000 yesterday (that's what somebody told me, I'm not sure if that's accurate). If that's an average day then it'll make another $1.5 million, meaning it'll finish around $5 million dollars. Kickstarters tend to serge at the end so it'll probably do a bit more than that. Hopefully.

If Sony really do double the Kickstarter or if that $10 million figure includes other investors, then everything should be okay.

If not, then a lot of us are going to have to sell non-essential organs. Hell maybe even essential organs, who is willing to make that sacrifice?
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ConanTheKing » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:53 am

Thief wrote: I wish I could look at this from a stress free outlook. But I'm just a worrier by nature. Honestly, the kickstarter has caused me tons of anxiety and has greatly inhibited my daily routine. I need to take a step back from all this... but I can't.

It's understandable, like most gamers you have been waiting a long time for this and you want to make sure it gets the full sequel it deserves.

I'm more concerned about can another Shenmue be done after this? I get the feeling that if it's not concluded in Shenmue 3 then we are in for another long wait. :cry:
ConanTheKing

PSN: ConanTheLeader

Postby Lan Di-sama » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:58 am

The reason that it's so ambiguous is that they are waiting to see how much is hauled in via kickstarter before finalizing the budget. Sony - and any other backer - will want to see how much Yu is getting from us before throwing any numbers out there. Makes sense to me - I understand the ambiguity is frustrating but no one - even Yu - seems too concerned that this is not going to end well. In fact, all signs point to this campaign being a huge success already. Even if they don't meet $10m on the kick starter, I think the other backers will step up and Yu will deliver us a kick ass sequel that'll almost be twenty years in the making. Have faith!
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby KidMarine » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:04 am

Lan Di-sama wrote: The reason that it's so ambiguous is that they are waiting to see how much the haul in via kickstarted before finalizing the budget. Sony - and any other backer - will want to see how much Yu is getting from us before throwing any numbers out there. Makes sense to me - I understand the ambiguity is frustrating but no one - even Yu - seems too
Concerned that this is not going to go well. In fact, all signs point to this campaign being a huge
Success already. Even if they don't meet $10m on the kick starter, I think the other backers will step up and Yu will deliver us a kick ass sequel that'll almost be twenty years in the making. Have faith!

I think you're absolutely right. But there's plenty of people out there who haven't donated yet because they think Sony is funding it. If they're not then someone involved in the Kickstarter really needs to say so.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kevo » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:05 am

KidMarine wrote: The Kickstarter made around $60,000 yesterday (that's what somebody told me, I'm not sure if that's accurate). If that's an average day then it'll make another $1.5 million, meaning it'll finish around $5 million dollars. Kickstarters tend to serge at the end so it'll probably do a bit more than that. Hopefully.

If Sony really do double the Kickstarter or if that $10 million figure includes other investors, then everything should be okay.

If not, then a lot of us are going to have to sell non-essential organs. Hell maybe even essential organs, who is willing to make that sacrifice?

It did indeed make around 60000 yesterday, here's a site with some data on the subject if you're interested: http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/ysnet/ ... hart-daily
It's currently projected to make between 5.9 and 9.2 mil.
Kevo
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby joka » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:07 am

I think this quote adds even more confusion personally!

Especially when taking into account Yu's 10 million comment on Reddit... If Sony told Yu 'you hit that 2milli and we got you bro!' (Not in those words obviously :D) then cool and that probably explains why there's still ambiguity.

If they're not funding or not by any great amount then they or Yu should just flat out say and be done because it will be impacting the Kickstarter for sure and the 10 million target will not happen whilst there is that confusion (hell might not happen anyway but would get a lot closer).
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby Xandui » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:23 am

Hey all, i just want to add that after the 10 million comment and all the stressing i see in the dojo, i've looked into the historical data for a bunch of other major kickstarters.

The reality is that basically all projects make most of their money in the first 2 days and usually have a surge in the last 2 days for another significant (but smaller) amount than those first couple.

In a sense, it's very easy to predict how much the kickstarter will make based on historical data from other campaigns (probably 6-7 million).

If 10 million was truly needed from kickstarter to make a full sequel, than they massively messed up in not communicating that up front somehow and by dropping the ball on poor kickstarter marketing in general.

The most important time was those first couple days and they're done, so my advice is to stop stressing and do our best to make that final push as impactful as possible.

Xandui has received a thanks from: Amir
Xandui
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby shredingskin » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:28 am

Thief wrote: I wish I could look at this from a stress free outlook. But I'm just a worrier by nature. Honestly, the kickstarter has caused me tons of anxiety and has greatly inhibited my daily routine. I need to take a step back from all this... but I can't.

Go catch some leaves.

It's clear that they are going to give some money and marketing, like they do with other games, even indies that appear on their conferences.

HOpefully this doesn't bring a new wave of shitting shenmue journalism.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Marcelinho » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:39 am

Our upgrade in the kickstarter Will be 3rd June. More $30,00 per person. I believe!!!

Marcelinho has received a thanks from: alexironaek
Marcelinho
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Next

Return to Shenmue III