Jim Sterling talks about Shenmue III KS

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Jim Sterling talks about Shenmue III KS

Postby Rikitatsu » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:19 pm

I would hold-off the praise till we see his new video.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby James Brown » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:19 pm

Himuro wrote: I never unsubbed from him and never said I did.

Haha, sorry about saying that, I know you didn't, it was just tongue in cheek :)
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby shredingskin » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:45 pm

Rikitatsu wrote: I would hold-off the praise till we see his new video.

Being a good journalist is not saying "shenmue III is happening I'm crying". He tried to do a video talking about the situation but the info was overblown, and most people just went for the clickbait route, at the time the video was released the info he had in it was outdated, and he edited the video to reflect that.

Also, he's been a good journalist all these years (for videogame journalism standards), if he would glaze over everything that has happened would not make him a good journalist. A lot of media couldn't even give a shit about editing a text, so that he's willing to edit a video says good things about him.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Amir » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:57 pm

Updated video:

phpBB [video]

Thought this was fair and balanced tbh, the Beyond Good & Evil 2 example is a good one.

Amir has received a thanks from: johnvivant
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby shredingskin » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:01 pm

Kinda, because BG&E is a Ubisoft IP (and ubi is not an indie developer), and Shenmue is not a YSnet ip.

Still it's good clarification.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:19 pm

I thought the new video was pretty balanced and well-done. I can see what he means how crowd funding could take an ugly turn. And I agree that the mixerd communication about S3 has been a major fuckup so far. Sony should have been upfront from the beginning and clearly state what exactly they were gonna pay for.

Then again, I don't feel ripped off by Ys in the least. I'm pledging, yes but I'm gonna get the game with my name in the credits (for which alone I would have paid a thousand $ for) plus a ton of other stuff. I think, as a fanboy, I am making a very good investment by pledging on Kickstarter.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shredingskin » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:22 pm

Well they actually said "this is his project" at the announcement.

But they were playing so hard on the "we won E3, we give them everything they wanted" that they dropped spaghetti.
Last edited by shredingskin on Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby LucBu » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:23 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote:I thought the new video was pretty balanced and well-done. I can see what he means how crowd funding could take an ugly turn. And I agree that the mixerd communication about S3 has been a major fuckup so far. Sony should have been upfront from the beginning and clearly state what exactly they were gonna pay for.

Then again, I don't feel ripped off by Ys in the least. I'm pledging, yes but I'm gonna get the game with my name in the credits (for which alone I would have paid a thousand $ for) plus a ton of other stuff. I think, as a fanboy, I am making a very good investment by pledging on Kickstarter.

I agree. I thanked him for clearing up the misinformation - just in case it was my comment. (Timing was so perfect it's hard to doubt - though I said nothing offensive).
LucBu
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby johnvivant » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:29 pm

i have just subbed to this guy. i am very impressed with his integrity and willingness to correct the video. i agree with his overall concerns about the possibilities of big publishers using kickstarter, and the confusion that can often occur in its early stages.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:41 pm

Obviously the point is to sell a story/narrative interesting enough to generate views. Jim's and other outlets main objective isn't "journalism".

The few actually interested in Shenmue 3, will seek information from Yu Suzuki himself and ignore this BS.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:04 pm

Glad others are seeing Jim's awesomeness. :)
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:58 am

Didn't see the first video, but I always like this guys videos and I think he did a good job on this one. He seems to always look at multiple angles and viewpoints and never really goes into hyperbole. I watched the Jimquisition all the time on The Escapist, and always forget he's only on youtube now, haha.
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Previous

Return to Shenmue III