Suzuki, "I want to make Shenmue 4"

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Suzuki,

Postby Miles Prower » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:47 am

FlagshipFighter wrote:
ys wrote:He also mentioned in another interview that he had finally decided not to conclude the full story in Shenmue III.
I prefer this since it will at least be closer to his original vision that way. What's the point of rushing through a story and cutting out parts to make it fit in one game? If he does that it will likely not feel like the previous games at all. And the way the series immerse you with its pacing and daily life is also a big part of it all, not just the storyline itself. The other option would be to have the full story but due to the budget, the game would likely be very downscaled and closer to a collection of cutscenes.

They also know more about the funding than we do. Maybe they can already see that it's worth taking the risk? I also assume that more people would return for the "full experience" actually than the bare bones alternative.

Plus they will already have an engine and assests and all the bits of hard work that goes into making a game from scratch! It'll be like shenmue 2 from 1. They know they have a solid/dedicated fanbase too. They might as well do a 4 sooner than later after 3 imo...

This is a very good point. A lot of the hard work will have already been done. Let's just hope S3 is succesful enough that S4 will be a sure thing, and that Yu won't have to compromise or rush anything story-wise...

Miles Prower has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Suzuki, "I want to make Shenmue 4"

Postby Hyo Razuki » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:52 am

Sounds great to me. If what Yu said is correct and the story is actually 11 chapters, not 16, S3 could well be chapters 7, 8 and 9 (every village being one chapter). So I reckon he could put the last 2 chapters into S4. I like this idea better than squeezing it all into S3.

Hyo Razuki has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, PacemaŜinobo
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:58 am

FRASIER v3 wrote: Not sure what to make of this, at least it shows ambition and direction. Still very early days on Shenmue 3 and he's already thinking of the next instalments.

Full story - http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/23/ ... -shenmue-4

Thoughts?

He has to. Shenmue is written like a novel. Shoving everything into one game wouldn't feel right.

killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:58 am

Hyo Razuki wrote: Sounds great to me. If what Yu said is correct and the story is actually 11 chapters, not 16, S3 could well be chapters 7, 8 and 9 (every village being one chapter). So I reckon he could put the last 2 chapters into S4. I like this idea better than squeezing it all into S3.

Why has the number of chapters fallen from 16 to 11 ? 5 deleted chapters seem big for me.
Last edited by Yokosuka on Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby ConanTheKing » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:59 am

Hyo Razuki wrote: Sounds great to me. If what Yu said is correct and the story is actually 11 chapters, not 16, S3 could well be chapters 7, 8 and 9 (every village being one chapter). So I reckon he could put the last 2 chapters into S4. I like this idea better than squeezing it all into S3.

That's what I have been thinking, meaning we really need that $10 million for a full length game that spans multiple chapters so we can get all those cities/towns in there.
ConanTheKing
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ConanTheLeader
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Hyo Razuki » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:16 am

I think Yu only ever said he meant VF RPG to have 16 chapters. That doesn't necessarily go for Shenmue. I think even at last year|s GDC, Yu talked about how the initial plan for Shenmue was to release every one of the 11 (!) chapters as its own one disc game on DC, which he than scrapped because he wanted to have a massive chapter 1 as an introduction. I think the guy who drew that 16 chapter time line on that dashboard about ten years back wasn't even Yu but some other Sega guy. Maybe they were teasing the press?

The truth is, at the end of the day I think we really don't know for sure how many chapters Yu orinally wanted Shenmue to have.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:23 am

Yokosuka wrote:

Why has the number of chapters fallen from 16 to 11 ? 5 deleted chapters seem big for me.

According to Yu, it was always 11 chapters.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:25 am

I think it's important to not get hung up on the exact number of chapters. Suzuki seems to be going about Shenmue III (and future games) with the intent of making it as best he can without a condensed or expedited final product. Even if his original intent was 16 chapters (or 11 or whatever) that doesn't mean that 14 years later he still considers that to be the ideal number. We just need to continue to put our trust in Suzuki -- which, given recent interviews, seems to be well placed.

Thief has received 2 thanks from: Hyo Razuki, PacemaŜinobo
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby TheThirdComing » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:33 am

I hope it happens. I don't want everything the series was meant to be to be compressed into one game. I still want it to flow as intended. So hopefully after Shenmue 3 does get the support it deserves a production company of some sort will realise the potential in it & back Shenmue IV.

TheThirdComing has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
TheThirdComing

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Axm » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:39 am

I'm actually quite comfortable with the prospect of a Shenmue 4.
Look at whats going on around us right now. We have TONS of fan support. The only way thats going to ever go away is if Shenmue 3 is a complete and utter bomb. And comon.. I dont think that will happen. We all have high expectations but we are all still in it till the end aren't we? I dont think Shenmue 3 is going to be so bad we denounce the series.

Look at Star Wars fans, they had to endure Episodes 1-3. Did that make them turn around and actively denounce the entire franchise? No it didnt. They were still fans and are now mostly more than happy with the upcoming Episode 7.

We would be no different. Even if Shenmue 3 is a bomb in the reviews, if we still want a Shenmue 4 then Yu Suzuki will give it to us. He's basically just told us not to worry, that he'll be making Shenmue 4 for us aswell.

Worst case: Shenmue 3 is horrible. He turns to Kickstarter again. He fixes whatever was wrong with S3. We fund it again at however little it takes.

Best case: Shenmue 3 is a complete success. Sony decides to this time completely fund and publish the game. We get an even better game.

Good case: Shenmue 3 turns out ok. Reviews are mixed or mild. Suzuki turns to Kickstarter again and we get an improved game based on where S3 needed work.

I love it the more I think about it. I think we all will in the end. I doubt the worst case will happen..and even if it did, we would still get the conclusion to the story regardless of how bad the gameplay or whatever might be.

Difference? Sega isnt falling apart ruining everything. They couldn't care less about what Suzuki does with Shenmue. They are making money off the rights usage regardless if the games are good or bad.

Axm has received 2 thanks from: Hyo Razuki, Miles Prower
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:10 am

If there is anyone that could fund this project completely based on the kickstarter success, it isn't Sony... It's SEGA.

One of their dead IPs just did $3.5M in a week on name alone. What other active SEGA IP could draw this kind of numbers in the states? From what Ive read Alien Isolation did over $1M and SEGA was ecstatic about it.

killthesagabeforeitkillsu has received a thanks from: Anthony817
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:13 am

Thief wrote: I think it's important to not get hung up on the exact number of chapters. Suzuki seems to be going about Shenmue III (and future games) with the intent of making it as best he can without a condensed or expedited final product. Even if his original intent was 16 chapters (or 11 or whatever) that doesn't mean that 14 years later he still considers that to be the ideal number. We just need to continue to put our trust in Suzuki -- which, given recent interviews, seems to be well placed.

I agree with you, but I think people worry that we'll end up with parts taken out again, like with Chapter 2 on the boat. It's understandable.

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: If there is anyone that could fund this project completely based on the kickstarter success, it isn't Sony... It's SEGA.

One of their dead IPs just did $3.5M in a week on name alone. What other active SEGA IP could draw this kind of numbers in the states? From what Ive read Alien Isolation did over $1M and SEGA was ecstatic about it.

SEGA may even be one of the "investors" Yu has secured some funding from via YS.Net. I imagine they've given something, even if it's only a token gesture. We haven't got anything from SEGA in years, handing over the license and assets from Shenmue 1 & 2 was a superb move to play and something we can all be satisfied with. We could still be sat here today with nothing to get excited about.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:28 am

I don't think we need kickstarter again for the next episodes. The chances of getting deficits are really poor as the funding was made mainly by donations. Reinvest the benefits of Shenmue III should be enough, big catastrophe apart. Depends how many the privates sources have injected into the initial budget.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Axm » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:35 am

Yokosuka wrote: I don't think we need kickstarter again for the next episodes. The chances of getting deficits are really poor as the funding was made mainly by donations. Reinvest the benefits of Shenmue III should be enough, big catastrophe apart.

This. Yes also very likely we wont even need kickstarter again. People will buy Shenmue 3 outside of this initial kickstarter and they will make a profit almost immediately.
Shenmue 4 is more than possible. It's practically in the bag for us already aslong are we all arent dicks to Suzuki about whatever Shenmue 3 is lacking.
Kickstarter was a great move to kick the series back into gear.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:38 am

Axm wrote:Shenmue 4 is more than possible. It's practically in the bag for us already aslong are we all arent dicks to Suzuki about whatever Shenmue 3 is lacking.

This is what I fear. If we aren't happy with something, it needs to be addressed in a professional and friendly manner. I've seen on many developer forums the sort of attitudes they have to put up with.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III