The Loading Screens - Kept or Removed?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Lack of Loading Screens? No Loading Screens?

Postby Amir » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:23 pm

Just have the names and time/dates appear in a bottom corner like GTA.

Amir has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby GYO6161 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:01 pm

If they were to get rid of them, then i would feel more like a witcher/gta type game, and for me, that's not what shenmue is all about, i really want the least similarities with those types of games as possible.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:04 pm

I'm playing Life Is Strange (Unreal Engine 3, made for old gen) and it has short loading between areas despite their smallness as the story only takes place in a little university and houses (atm). The developers failed to depict a true 'open world' when they got the design opportunity to do so. So Suzuki will not necessarily have the freedom to act seamlessly if he wants something up to the Shenmue standards anyway.

Life Is Strange reminds a lot of Shenmue for the relationship between the player and his environment as well. The level design is built around a walking pedestrian gameplay (run with the right trigger) and the depth of details is charming wherever you go. Infact, it's the closest thing to Shenmue I've ever played so far. Not an original statement here as I read Sonoshee praising this game in a similar way. Forget The Witcher, Yakuza or Kingdom Come.

I was also surprised by the size of the staff on the credits. I thought Life Is Strange was made by a small team but it looked pretty tough. Then my definition of a 'small' studio in video game industry might be wrong after all.
Last edited by Yokosuka on Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby GYO6161 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:03 am

Yokosuka wrote: I'm playing Life Is Strange (Unreal Engine 3, made for old gen) and it has short loading between areas despite their smallness as the story only takes place in a little university and houses (atm). The developers failed to depict a true 'open world' when they got the design opportunity to do so. So Suzuki will not necessarily have the freedom to act seamlessly if he wants something up to the Shenmue standards anyway.

Life Is Strange reminds a lot of Shenmue for the relationship between the player and his environment as well. The level design is built around a walking pedestrian gameplay (run with the right trigger) and the depth of details is charming wherever you go. Infact, it's the closest thing to Shenmue I've ever played so far. Not an original statement here as I read Sonoshee praising this game in a similar way. Forget The Witcher, Yakuza or Kingdom Come.

I was also surprised by the size of the staff on the credits. I thought Life Is Strange was made by a small team but it looked pretty though. Then my definition of a 'small' studio in video game industry might be wrong after all.

Interesting, i might check out this life is strange deal, curious to see the tiny similarities.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: God of War

Re: The Loading Screens - Kept or Removed?

Postby Kiske » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:03 am

I would get rid of the black background and integrate the information while playing, with a 2-3 seconds fade-in fade-out. More or less like in the picture below:

Kiske has received 2 thanks from: fittersau, Yama
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby drunkensailor » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:58 pm

removed of course> why would anyone love them?
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby LucBu » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:21 pm

Though we already have this near-exact topic on loading screens, I don't think it's enough. We need a third. Scratch that. We need another another three at least, probably.
LucBu
Master of the Three Blades

Postby VukBZ2005 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:52 am

Kiske wrote: I would get rid of the black background and integrate the information while playing, with a 2-3 seconds fade-in fade-out. More or less like in the picture below:

If I were Yu, I would have the team make the background transparent like you said, reduce the font, move the whole thing to the bottom left-hand corner, line it up properly and remove the timestamp (it's redundant when you already have the watch being displayed).
VukBZ2005
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: VukBZ2005
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PS4) ;)

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:56 am

Yu might also use cinematic transitions between areas. It's Shenmue after all.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby shredingskin » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:45 am

It depends, I wouldn't mind (actually I would like) if they kept the screens for important places or interiors (and not just streets).

Today you can't have loading screens every 30 seconds (let's say yamanose to sakuragaoka).

Maybe some transition like the nightfall would be cool, or just doing them when you enter a place for the first time (like at the harbor or kowloon).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby FlagshipFighter » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:42 pm

Kenny wrote:I rather have seamless transitions than long ass waiting screens.

You can update them by putting the info on the bottom right hand side or something.

Agreed 100%, I like that feeling of presence. I still remember from shenmue 1 just before Nozomi gets kidnapped it shows the loading screen of 2am or something and I was like whaaaa? Love the genuine feeling of suprise both games had like this when they disrupt the usual/daily routine/cycle.

P.S. Stalking thingy-san in Shenmue 2 and going to each of the elevators was intense too!

FlagshipFighter has received a thanks from: ys
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby fittersau » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:02 pm

VukBZ2005 wrote:
Kiske wrote: I would get rid of the black background and integrate the information while playing, with a 2-3 seconds fade-in fade-out. More or less like in the picture below:

If I were Yu, I would have the team make the background transparent like you said, reduce the font, move the whole thing to the bottom left-hand corner, line it up properly and remove the timestamp (it's redundant when you already have the watch being displayed).

Yep exactly, transparent and moved to the bottom left corner would be fine with me.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sonoshee » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:43 pm

LucBu wrote: Though we already have this near-exact topic on loading screens, I don't think it's enough. We need a third. Scratch that. We need another another three at least, probably.

They've already been merged.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yama » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:39 am

Kiske wrote:I would get rid of the black background and integrate the information while playing, with a 2-3 seconds fade-in fade-out. More or less like in the picture below:

This is perfect imo.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby LucBu » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:30 am

Sonoshee wrote:
LucBu wrote: Though we already have this near-exact topic on loading screens, I don't think it's enough. We need a third. Scratch that. We need another another three at least, probably.

They've already been merged.

My message landed a day before they did. :)
LucBu

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III