Feminism

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Feminism

Postby OmegaDawn » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:27 pm

deleted
Last edited by OmegaDawn on Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OmegaDawn
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Himuro » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:31 pm

I see. So you don't consider KillAllWhiteMen to be an actual threat, it's just some statement a dumbass made, so there's no reason to arrest her. But if someone threatens they're going to kill everyone in their local library, you think authorities should be pressed to make action? I can agree with that.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby OmegaDawn » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:35 pm

deleted
Last edited by OmegaDawn on Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OmegaDawn has received a thanks from: Himuro
OmegaDawn

Postby Himuro » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:38 pm

I completely agree. :-k
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby KiBa » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:38 am

I believe all complex psychological explanations of why each person suffers are illusory.

KiBa has received a thanks from: Peter
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:45 am

Himuro wrote: it's just some statement a dumbass made.

That is mostly what the rage here has been aimed at, actual crazy stuff like that. Why do you say you're not a feminist? Actual feminism is good if we're talking everyone having the same chances/rights in society? I

I am not trolling btw...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Himuro » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:57 pm

I used to be a feminist. I join their causes when they need help but I do not associate with them.

I am a womanist.

https://progressivepupil.wordpress.com/ ... -womanist/
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Kenny » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:48 pm

That's another label the Third Wavers will set out to tarnish.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:10 pm

Himuro wrote:In the very least, it's a good reminder that the only thing anyone here really has in common in Shenmue. It's pretty odd too, given that Shenmue, for the most part, is pretty pro-woman, but the fanbase has a lot of blubbering weirdos who may or may not be virgins. When I streamed Shenmue I+II on Twitch, the whole channel was rooting for which female character they wanted to fuck, while the game gave them actual ideals, characters, personalities, and didn't fetishize nor place them on pedestals because they're women like how so many games do.

I'm sorry but until a handful of characters in Shenmue II come along everyone in the series is about as shallow as a pool for 6 year olds. One of the only characters in the game with a personality is Joy and if Shenmue II came out today I'm sure we would have people complaining about how she's dressed.

I just think Shenmue has got to be one of the worst examples you could use since barely anyone has a personality.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Himuro » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:37 pm

Hm, I disagree. Xiuying, Shenhua, Fangmei, Nozomi, Miki, Eri;etc. all have solidifed characters and personalities. Besides Ryo and Shenhua, my favorite character in the series is Xiuying. Disagree a lot with that statement. Xiuying by herself is one of the best written female characters in a game. She has a job, aspirations, a history. She doesn't have to put on a suit of armor to be taken seriously; she's not a damsel either. She isn't a romantic interest and she has no romantic interests (not that having romantic interests in stories is bad, but most female characters in media are there to validate the existence of a male character, and Xiuying isn't like that). She's graceful yet hard, strong yet extremely caring. A lot of games think that making a great female character means making them less feminine. Give her a gun or a sword, and they're a "great" character. But Xiuying goes beyond a lot of game female characters in that she exudes feminity without giving up a single thing in her character. I put her up there with Chris Lightfellow.

I think the fact that you put Joy above the others is odd. Joy is mostly a crap character. There's nothing interesting about her, she gets in the way without adding to the story. The fact you think she has the most "personality" is odd. Noriko and the girl clerk at the Harbor Tomato Convenience Store in 1 have more personality and interesting backstory than Joy. The fact you put Joy over say, Xiuying or Shenhua, shows you probably not only haven't played the Shenmue games in a while, but it honestly says more about you than it does me.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby shredingskin » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:54 pm

After some stupid laughs I had, I kinda feel bad for trolling.

Even more after I understood I lost my edge and I didn't step up my game.

Saying that Womanism is pretty much the same bullshit in another package.

And freddy movie guy is still a fascist.

This time for real.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Raithos » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:48 am

AnimeGamer183 wrote: :lock:

Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Himuro » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:13 pm

shredingskin wrote:
Saying that Womanism is pretty much the same bullshit in another package.

Somehow I get the feeling that you'd find any women's movement to be "bullshit", in which case, I have nothing more to say.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Shibiryo » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:22 pm

Feminism is my middle name
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:32 pm

Himuro wrote: I think the fact that you put Joy above the others is odd. Joy is mostly a crap character. There's nothing interesting about her, she gets in the way without adding to the story. The fact you think she has the most "personality" is odd. Noriko and the girl clerk at the Harbor Tomato Convenience Store in 1 have more personality and interesting backstory than Joy. The fact you put Joy over say, Xiuying or Shenhua, shows you probably not only haven't played the Shenmue games in a while, but it honestly says more about you than it does me.

I never put Joy above everyone else and said she was the best, I used her as an example as with the offended culture we have now you can bet if she was in a new game everyone would just say it's sexist how she's dressed. I think she's more insteresting then someone like Nozomi as she has some personality. Nozomi and pretty much the majority of characters in Shenmue feel the same and boring. The way I think of it is if you went to a pub with Ryo and Nozomi you'd want to smash your head through the jukebox it'd be so boring. If you went with Ren and Joy I imagine you'd have a pretty good time and maybe a tattoo you won't remember getting the next day.

I'll agree with you that Xiuying may be the most interesting character in the game.

The problem with Shenmue is that the voice acting is so bad that it ruins a lot about a character. Talking to Nozomi outside the flower shop is like watching speed dating at an autism club.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic