Kickstarter Update #13 - Budget and Funding Statement

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Kickstarter Update #13 - Budget and Funding Statement

Postby Himuro » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:33 pm

Update #13 from Shenmue 3
Jun 24 2015
Shenmue 3 Funding and Budget Statement

There have been many questions concerning Shenmue 3’s budget and what outside sources will be added to the money collected through Kickstarter. I apologize for not having been more forthright in this area and would like to take this opportunity to help clarify the situation.

Ys Net and I have been putting in many long years trying to find a way to bring back a sequel that so many fans have waited so long for. After learning of Kickstarter, I knew it would be possible to get Shenmue 3 started. Wanting to make the best game possible, I also knew that I would have to look to more traditional means to obtain all the funds that would be needed to create the game I had envisioned.

Sony and Shibuya Productions have been wonderful partners because they believe in Shenmue and want to see the best for the fans and the game. Their investment in (and support of) Shenmue have helped to realize a sequel that will stand proud with its predecessors. While it is not business practice to discuss the specific details of such arrangements, I can say that with their assistance on the production and marketing end, and in Sony’s case with some publishing support as well, Ys Net is able to use more of the money we collect through Kickstarter purely for Shenmue 3’s development. It is also important to note that your funds are going strictly to Ys Net for development of Shenmue 3 – Sony and Shibuya Productions are not seeing a cent of your Kickstarter dollars.

The outpouring of support from all of you, the backers, has been so inspirational. I cannot thank you enough. Having reached our funding goal, I am excited to say that the Shenmue story will go on, and our journey with Ryo and Shenhua will continue. Fans will be able to enjoy the sequel they have waited so long for, and newcomers to the series will be introduced to a unique gaming experience.

Of course, like with any Kickstarter, additional funding will only help us make a better game. On top of everything Shenmue 3 will already bring, the Stretch Goals that I have laid out will add extra quests, events, and new gameplay systems that will make the game even more immersive and take the series to the next level. At the $5 million mark, there will be an all new gameplay feature I would be excited to be able to add to the Shenmue legacy. If we should make the $10 million Stretch Goal, a much larger, completely open world will be yours to explore.

Even if these Stretch Goals are not reached, Shenmue 3 will already be a sequel true to its name, and one we can all be proud of. It is my hope though, that together we can make this Shenmue just as revolutionary as the first two were.

I understand this statement may by late in coming. Going forward, we wish to be as open as possible concerning the game’s development. I would like to again ask for your cooperation and support in helping make Shenmue 3 the best that it can be.

Sincerely, Yu Suzuki

https://www.kickstarter.com/activity?ref=nav

Himuro has received 4 thanks from: Arm Wrestler, PacemaŜinobo, Shenmuehua, Supa
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Yu Suzuki makes statement on funding & budget on KS update

Postby Supa » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:42 pm

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ys ... ts/1273833

There have been many questions concerning Shenmue 3’s budget and what outside sources will be added to the money collected through Kickstarter. I apologize for not having been more forthright in this area and would like to take this opportunity to help clarify the situation.

Ys Net and I have been putting in many long years trying to find a way to bring back a sequel that so many fans have waited so long for. After learning of Kickstarter, I knew it would be possible to get Shenmue 3 started. Wanting to make the best game possible, I also knew that I would have to look to more traditional means to obtain all the funds that would be needed to create the game I had envisioned.

Sony and Shibuya Productions have been wonderful partners because they believe in Shenmue and want to see the best for the fans and the game. Their investment in (and support of) Shenmue have helped to realize a sequel that will stand proud with its predecessors. While it is not business practice to discuss the specific details of such arrangements, I can say that with their assistance on the production and marketing end, and in Sony’s case with some publishing support as well, Ys Net is able to use more of the money we collect through Kickstarter purely for Shenmue 3’s development. It is also important to note that your funds are going strictly to Ys Net for development of Shenmue 3 – Sony and Shibuya Productions are not seeing a cent of your Kickstarter dollars.

The outpouring of support from all of you, the backers, has been so inspirational. I cannot thank you enough. Having reached our funding goal, I am excited to say that the Shenmue story will go on, and our journey with Ryo and Shenhua will continue. Fans will be able to enjoy the sequel they have waited so long for, and newcomers to the series will be introduced to a unique gaming experience.

Of course, like with any Kickstarter, additional funding will only help us make a better game. On top of everything Shenmue 3 will already bring, the Stretch Goals that I have laid out will add extra quests, events, and new gameplay systems that will make the game even more immersive and take the series to the next level. At the $5 million mark, there will be an all new gameplay feature I would be excited to be able to add to the Shenmue legacy. If we should make the $10 million Stretch Goal, a much larger, completely open world will be yours to explore.

Even if these Stretch Goals are not reached, Shenmue 3 will already be a sequel true to its name, and one we can all be proud of. It is my hope though, that together we can make this Shenmue just as revolutionary as the first two were.

I understand this statement may by late in coming. Going forward, we wish to be as open as possible concerning the game’s development. I would like to again ask for your cooperation and support in helping make Shenmue 3 the best that it can be.

Sincerely, Yu Suzuki

Sounds like the clarification many have been asking for since the Kickstarter opened and all of the other funding sources started talking. Maybe this will shut up some of the negative press. What do you think?

Supa has received 6 thanks from: Arm Wrestler, JaySw34, myshtuff, Peter, Shenmuehua, Sonoshee
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Yu Suzuki makes statement on funding & budget on KS upda

Postby go-ren » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:46 pm

I wish I had 6 mil laying around to give to Suzuki-san. Unfortunately, I don't. :cry:
Last edited by go-ren on Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
go-ren
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Miles Prower » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:46 pm

Nice to see things fully clarified :) Even if it doesn't make the 10m mark, I'm still beyond happy Shenmue III is even happening at all.

Miles Prower has received 2 thanks from: mue 26, myshtuff
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Himuro » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:47 pm

I made this thread a full 10 minutes before you and you still got more replies :-({|= =D>
Last edited by Himuro on Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Himuro has received 4 thanks from: JaySw34, Shenmuehua, Sonoshee, Supa
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby JaySw34 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:47 pm

I believe it's still entirely possible for us to reach that 10 mil mark

JaySw34 has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Re: Kickstarter Update #13 - Budget and Funding Statement

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:47 pm

Himuro wrote: Even if these Stretch Goals are not reached, Shenmue 3 will already be a sequel true to its name, and one we can all be proud of. It is my hope though, that together we can make this Shenmue just as revolutionary as the first two were.

I hope he sticks to this. When he said $2 million would make it a point A to point B game I was very very concerned as story was on low end of the things I enjoyed in Shenmue.

I really think that even if funding stopped at the $3.6 million we're at now that we would get a real Shenmue type game due to outside funding.

He could have clarified better though stuff like if we don't reach the mini game stretch goal will there be no mini games? We're nerds who will look into this and get to the bottom of it but when this statement go's on IGN and Eurogamer people will view it as you meet the stretch goal for mini games or you get no mini games at all.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby myshtuff » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:48 pm

This was a very heartfelt message and I am glad he posted this. He really does care about this project and wants it to be all it can be given the circumstances.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar

Postby Supa » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:51 pm

Himuro wrote: I made this thread a full 10 minutes before you and you still got more replies :-({|= =D>

Whoops, sorry! I swear I checked before I posted and I didn't see your thread!
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby spinksy » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:56 pm

It was a nice update and I hope he updates the kickstarter page regularly now (just to keep people interested and happy)

I'm refusing to comment on anymore negative threads on the forum from now on, I get people's frustration but it's just dam annoying.

Shenmue 3 is happening so anymore stet h goals we reach is a big bonus we should be thankful for

spinksy has received 2 thanks from: myshtuff, PacemaŜinobo
spinksy
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: spinksy777
Currently playing: Shenmue, skies of Arcadia

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:56 pm

This statement has just settled a sh*t ton of nerves. I had butterflies about it not being a "true" sequel if the $10 million wasn't met.

Thank you Supa and Himuro ;-)

Sonoshee has received 2 thanks from: Himuro, Supa
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby alexh86 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:56 pm

JaySw34 wrote: I believe it's still entirely possible for us to reach that 10 mil mark

I still don't think we will but earlier today I was starting to wonder if we would even hit $5m. Then, I saw the graph of backing support for Bloodstained. I don't know if that example is typical of KS projects but they got a huge swell of support right at the last minute. Perhaps Shenmue will get the same.

Hopefully this email puts all the negative press to rest. We now know that $5m and $10m are huge milestones for this project and we still need to back it! We also know that Sony is providing production, publishing and marketing support so can we all just leave it at that?! This topic has been discussed ad nauseum and I'd love to get back to discussing the game!!
alexh86

PSN: ahark86

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:05 pm

Still skeptical tbh, but I'll feel much better if we hit the 5mil mark and they add a post-KS PayPal option. Next thing to pester him about... product placement!

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Supa
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Himuro » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:06 pm

Best line in this entire thing. If what he says is true... \:D/
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby myshtuff » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:07 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Still skeptical tbh, but I'll feel much better if we hit the 5mil mark and they add a post-KS PayPal option. Next thing to pester him about... product placement!

Product placement within the game? Or you mean placing Shenmue in other media to get the word out?
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar

Next

Return to Shenmue III