We know what rapport system is (old YS interview)

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

We know what rapport system is (old YS interview)

Postby Himuro » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:05 am

I was thinking of an old YS interview and yeah, we know what rapport is.

He talks about it here:

JM: I play games to do things I can't do in real life. Do you think games have become too real? If you were to do Shenmue 3, for example, would you take the same approach and make it super realistic, or would you take a different approach?

YS: The concept for Shenmue 3 already exists, so... [Laughs] The world of Shenmue 1 and 2 expanded outward. So, for example, in the original games, of all the data used for dialogue in the game, the main characters' dialogue was about 20%. The remaining 80% was dialogue by characters other than the two main characters. But Shenmue 3 doesn't expand outward, but inward. A lot of the dialogue is used for the main character and especially dialogue with Shenhua. They talk about a lot of different, deeper things. For example, and I can't say too much, but here's an example.

This is not actually in the game, but as an example to give you an idea of what I mean by deeper dialogue, when Shenhua and Ryo are at home, Shenhua will ask Ryo if he would like to drink tea or coffee and the player will select one or the other. Or, Shenhua will ask Ryo a hypothetical question like: "There are four animals; a monkey, cat, dog and bird. You are crossing the river but you need to leave one behind. Which one will you leave behind?" And the player has to choose one. Shenhua will ask lots and lots of questions like these and the answers will get stored in the game and affect the outcome of the player's relationship with other characters. It's like a personality test. For example, the person who leaves behind the monkey is the type of person who leaves their wife.

TH: That's scary. [Laughs]

JM: So it's more organic, and very contextual. Personally, I would leave the bird behind. The bird can fly across the river.

YS: It's very deep. I think it will be very interesting if it happens.

http://www.1up.com/features/disappearance-suzuki-part-2

Himuro
Banned
Banned

Re: We know what rapport system is (old YS interview)

Postby bikingjehuty » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:12 am

God, this sounds so awesome! I hope this is what the rapport system becomes!
bikingjehuty
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Sonoshee » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:13 am

Or, Shenhua will ask Ryo a hypothetical question like: "There are four animals; a monkey, cat, dog and bird. You are crossing the river but you need to leave one behind. Which one will you leave behind?" And the player has to choose one.

The bird. It can fly over :P
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Reprise » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:16 am

bikingjehuty wrote: God, this sounds so awesome! I hope this is what the rapport system becomes!

Yes! Me too!
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:25 am

If you replay Shenmue II DISC 4 you can see this in its infancy. You have actual dialogue options in DISC 4, and Shenhua asks Ryo personal questions. It seems in 3, those questions get deeper, more personal, and affect how people react to you but it still sounds like a general continuation from what disc 4 already achieved.

Himuro has received a thanks from: Reprise
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby BayStone » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:25 pm

Wow, good find! :D Very interesting indeed, one problem I do see this, and this is of course in theory and based only on that article, is that this could result in the usual player choice problem of not seeing the puppet strings vs. seeing them. Hmm, thought for food. :-k
BayStone
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Supa » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:28 pm

I didn't even think of this interview when thinking about the rapport system...thanks!
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Doom_Infinite » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:41 pm

This sounds fantastic.
Doom_Infinite
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Yama » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:50 pm

Himuro wrote: If you replay Shenmue II DISC 4 you can see this in its infancy. You have actual dialogue options in DISC 4, and Shenhua asks Ryo personal questions. It seems in 3, those questions get deeper, more personal, and affect how people react to you but it still sounds like a general continuation from what disc 4 already achieved.

Yeah, I think a lot of us have always agreed on this. It's why I held disc 4 so dear all of these years, when the likes of Shenmue III were at an all time low, it always felt like a taste of it. Honestly, the game could have easily ended on disc 3 in Kowloon, but it's disc 4 that really gave us all that taste that we couldn't let go of. Funny how things work out. I also designed the site around it, to always keep the future in mind.

Yama has received 3 thanks from: Himuro, Hyo Razuki, ys
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Hyo Razuki » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:54 pm

Nice piece of research you did there. Where did you dig that out?
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Himuro » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:05 pm

Someone here on the Dojo I think mentioned an interview with James Mielke about how Yu couldn't get a job because no one wanted anything to do with him, and I just decided to reread it, found it, went "holy shit", and posted it.

Himuro has received a thanks from: Hyo Razuki
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Miles Prower » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:09 pm

Nice find! Will be interesting to see how much the player's responses affect things...
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987

Return to Shenmue III