Why do you think Lan Di flew away?

(Chapters 3-6)

Re: Why do you think Lan Di flew away?

Postby Master Kyodai » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:59 pm

I think he was just not being a fool. Personally i think he came to interrogate Yuanda Zhu - but after seeing all his men having fallen including Dou Niu he felt he shouldn't risk anything. He's malicious but not stupid. Being a good martial arts expert is one thing - but fighting outnumbered against a group of people who just took out your best men in the whole city is a different thing. Yuanda Zhu was interesting since he obviously knew Iwao pretty well (prolly Lan Dis dad as well), he knew about the mirrors, wrote a famous martial arts book - so there are sure reasons why Lan Di was looking forward to a conversation with him.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Mr357 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:01 pm

Part of me thinks he's not entirely cold-blooded. He spared Ryo before in the dojo (as well as Fuku-san), so I suspect that he either doesn't want to kill unless there's a good reason, or as mentioned before, he wants to recruit Ryo.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:09 am

Lan Di-sama wrote: This also really bothers me and I sure hope that this part of the story isn't brushed aside, but I guess that depends on if Zhu remains a key character. Ryo spent the entirety of the game thus far trying to find Zhu - why did he ask so few questions when he finally met him? Ryo barely learned anything from Zhu, why didn't he ask things like: How do YOU know that Lan Di is headed to Bailu Village? What did Lan Di want with you in the first place?

And how much information - if any - were the Chi You Men able to extract from Zhu before the rooftop trade off? If none at all, then how important was it to Lan Di to find Zhu in the first place? He easily could have hopped back down and taken Zhu - did he really respect Ryo for defeating Dou Niu so much as to just take off without Zhu? Does he view Ryo as a threat or as mostly insignificant? Does he know that Ryo would be able to follow him to Guilin after speaking to Zhu?

There are just too many unanswered questions concerning Yuanda Zhu!

Yes, but at this point Ryo is just hell bent on revenge. He could care less about any of the stuff involving the mirrors or what have you. He doesn't care why Lan Di is heading to Guilin, just that he supposedly is. You see this as well in Shenmue 1 when Chen says that Lan Di is headed for Hong Kong. Ryo takes Chen at his word, because all he cares about is finding Lan Di and killing him.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Switch » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:23 am

code l name wrote:
Supa wrote: That would make sense, I never thought of that. ^

Remember, Yu did say he wasn't exactly trustworthy...

#long2years

I've seen a few people make this same comment. What interview or discussion was this from? Can you provide a link?

Yu Suzuki talks about Yuanda Zhu giving out false information to protect his friends, in an interview at the Animé Game Show. Here's a discussion thread with a link to the video (his statement is at about the 7 minute mark).
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=46294#p1053833

Also this may not be significant, but it's interesting that Yuanda Zhu told Ryo that "Sunming Zhao (Lan Di's father) was my best friend".
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:32 pm

Coz he a bitch.

MiTT3NZ has received 2 thanks from: Thief, Yokosuka Martian
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Three Blades » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:18 am

I always thought that if Ryo had wanted Landi to come down and fight him on the roof, all he had to do was reach into his jacket, grab the phoenix mirror and raise it above his head for Landi to see.
Ryo would have gotten killed right then and there, though.

Three Blades has received 2 thanks from: JaySw34, MiTT3NZ
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby JaySw34 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:23 pm

Three Blades wrote: I always thought that if Ryo had wanted Landi to come down and fight him on the roof, all he had to do was reach into his jacket, grab the phoenix mirror and raise it above his head for Landi to see.
Ryo would have gotten killed right then and there, though.

Wow I've never really thought of that. Seems like such an obvious thing to do. I guess even Ryo must know deep down that he's really not ready for a fight with Lan Di.
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby 7heavens » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:18 pm

The Phoenix mirror was probably not in his jacket but rather in his bag which he left back at his room
7heavens
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:32 pm

Alright, smartarse, then why's it in your inventory when you're in the building then, eh?

Only bein a nob, and I haven't even checked if it really is. Just pretty annoyed that I didn't think of that before you.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Miles Prower » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:49 pm

7heavens wrote: The Phoenix mirror was probably not in his jacket but rather in his bag which he left back at his room

Except he shows it to Zhu when they get back to Ren's hideout (pulling out of his pocket if I remember rightly), so no :P

Miles Prower has received a thanks from: JaySw34
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987

Postby joka » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:15 pm

So the literal 'real life' answer is just because the story would've ended right there with Ryo getting killed.

Worst. Ending. Ever. Lol

Storywise I've never really thought about it but it does seem odd that he would just let Zhu slip from his grasp- he's certainly not scared of Ryo for taking down Don Nui and Zhu was obviously important for Lan Di to personally show up... Maybe they have a plan b or maybe he messed up and Niao Sun gets tasked with cleaning up Lan Di's mess!
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Previous

Return to Shenmue II