PS4 Physical Version - Email reply

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

PS4 Physical Version - Email reply

Postby rensbandanna » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:10 pm

Hi all, I have no idea if others on here have mentioned this already if they received a similar email, but below is the response I received today outlining (ish...) the stance on a physical PS4 version.

I asked the question on KS the day after it began:

Ys Net says:
Hello Luke,
Thank you very much for your message.
We understand there have been many requests; however there are currently no plans to produce a physical reward for the PS4.

As to why there are no current plans for a PS4 version, we are very sorry, but are unable to answer at this time. We know this may not be the answer you had hoped for, but please understand that indeed, your comments have been heard and passed on to Ys Net and Yu Suzuki.

Your feedback is what will make the this Kickstarter really succeed, and we cannot thank you enough. The day is come that we are finally able to enjoy what we have waited so long for with the return of Shenmue and we hope we can count on your continued support to bring back, and make Shenmue 3 the best game it can be.

Oscar &
The Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Team

----------

If people have received similar and it's been mentioned I apologise but thought I would put it in case not!

rensbandanna has received a thanks from: BigTuna
rensbandanna
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: pluginbaby
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: PS4 Physical Version - Email reply

Postby Doom_Infinite » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:52 pm

Sounds like Sony doesn't want it offered and on top of that they asked that that not be explained to avoid looking bad I guess.
Doom_Infinite
Master of the Three Blades

Postby squall » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:14 pm

When this first happened, I wished there was a tier with a physical copy. Because that's what I wanted. Then I realized that just because it isn't a reward, doesn't mean it won't be sold later.

Now I'm perfectly content to have my money go strictly for development, and buy the physical copy at the store when it is released.

That's just me though.
squall
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby BigTuna » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:18 pm

I think it's safe to say Sony wants to profit as much as they can on the game and is banking on the fans buying the physical copy when it drops. Which is understandable if that's the case.
I'm definitely gonna buy it despite getting the DL code. Because I prefer physical over digital.
BigTuna

Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby bikingjehuty » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:28 pm

Considering how direct Ys Net has been about it not being available during the Kickstarter, I am almost certain that releasing a physical edition is worked somewhere into the agreement between Ys and Sony. Sony probably wants exclusive rights to distribute the game physically in order to profit off of it. It sucks that this was agreed upon by Ys Net because it is most definitely hurting the Kickstarter, but there was probably no way around it if they wanted Sony's level of involvement.
bikingjehuty
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Shenmuehua » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:51 pm

Before the end of the kickstarter they will put a PS4 physical version.

Sure of it but maybe even if you pledged more than what it needs you ll have to make another one to het it independently. I hope people won t get angry if that s the case.

Just my opinion though.
Shenmuehua

PSN: Shenmuehua
XBL: Shenmuehua
Steam: Shenmuehua
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Kenny » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:39 pm

Keep demanding it for another 14 years.

They'll cave.

Kenny has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby JaySw34 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:43 pm

If they end up making a physical disc version for PS4, it should be totally up to Sony to produce it. All money from Kickstarter needs to go to the development of the game only imo
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Jackie Fhan » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:13 pm

Just charge more for it. I mean, if it costs 60 typically, ask 100 for it and allow YS to pay for it with those funds. The game doesn't technically lose funds in that sense. If you are directly spending more money just to have a disc version I mean.

Include a special edition hard case for 150 as well. It would be worth it for all involved to do this.

Just give it some kick ass hand draw japanese 80's art style, and it would be huge.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Jak , Sly Cooper, Many..

Postby Hyo Razuki » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:04 am

To, me this basically really sounds like: "You know, there will be a physical copy, but we want you guys to give us extra cash for it, two and a half years from now."

Watch the wording. It says, there are no plans for a physical copy REWARD. No one ever said there was not gonna be a physical copy at all.

Fair enough solution if you ask me. I'd be more than happy to go to the shop and buy my own copy of S3 on PS4 \:D/ .

Hyo Razuki has received 2 thanks from: Axm, JaySw34
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Jackie Fhan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:37 am

It needs to happen because I'm sure more than half of that $30 tier would bulk and go ps4 physical. I just wish they would do a dreamcast special edition case with it. 300 dollars for that, 100 for the physical special edition and 60 for the standard. i think this would easily have a million dollar effect easily..
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Axm » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:45 am

I think it will actually be up to what the final price of the game is going to be. If it ends up being $60 I think we will absolutely get a physical. If it stays just $30.. I dont know any other retail games at that launch price. If its $40-50 its a toss up.

I think what also plays a factor is the profit margins on new retail games.
Most stores dont make much money on retail games, something like $2-$7. So if Shenmue 3 launches and its still $30 its probably a very low profit margin and not worth it to retailers so they order less copy's. Also they would probably order less regardless because its not COD, Assasins Creed etc.

Basically, hopefully the game is going to be planned to launch at $50-$60.

Either way, at the end of the day its Shenmue 3, we can play it and thats the most important thing.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Jackie Fhan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:49 am

I feel it was a mistake putting the game at 29 dollars anyways. Should have just put it at 39. I don't think the backer numer would have been that different (but the total donations would have), and a physical at 60 would have pushed more people to that.
Last edited by Jackie Fhan on Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby BlueMue » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:49 am

I wouldn't mind buying a physical release again at the games release, even if it's overprized. I'd happily throw a bag of money at them again if they'd release a limited edition with all the Kickstarter goodies.

I don't even think about asking for it as a reward for what I already pledged. I think everyone here is on the same boat as far as that goes. We'll happily buy the game again.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Hyo Razuki
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Jackie Fhan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:51 am

BlueMue wrote: I wouldn't mind buying a physical release again at the games release, even if it's overprized. I'd happily throw a bag of money at them again if they'd release a limited edition with all the Kickstarter goodies.

I don't even think about asking for it as a reward for what I already pledged. I think everyone here is on the same boat as far as that goes. We'll happily buy the game again.

Yeah, if they won't do a ps3 physical on the KS, should atleast do an original Dremcast case and manual. Inluded with discs and disc art. I think they can throw the sound tracks on the discs, art, videos etc

That goes along with my idea for having the interviews, dreamcast, saturn videos though. Maybe if they make that idea a reality that is what can come in the dreamcast case. If nothing else at least. I would rather have a dreamcast case more than anything, even if there is a ps4 special edition, just give me the dreamcast case and shenmue 3 manual.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Next

Return to Shenmue III