Shenmue Properly Upscaled to 4K

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Shenmue Properly Upscaled to 4K

Postby Yama » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:57 pm

I've been wanting to do this for a while now. The results are better than I ever had expected, so I'd like to share with everyone.

A big discussion when talking about Shenmue and current technology is how to properly display the image. Some connect via VGA to a monitor which is the easiest solution and looks great. Most want to play on their TV's however, which as time goes on gets a little more tricky. I've done various methods including VGA on monitor, VGA to component on a CRT 4:3 HDTV, VGA pixel for pixel on an XBR-3, VGA to HDMI through a HD third party scaler (the one Adam used) and finally now this method which I can confirm absolutely demolishes every other way I've ever viewed this game.

So the first thing to know is you'll need to properly upscale the image, otherwise it'll look horrible. To properly upscale into HD (while retaining the correct aspect ratio) a third party scaler is required, which are niche and quite expensive. They get the job done, though obviously don't push the envelope any. The image quality is better than displaying pixel for pixel.

4K UHD is the same principal, though thanks to new technology becomes a bit easier (just more expensive, but is an investment). The two best scalers on the market as of today are the X-Reality PRO by Sony and the Revelation by SHARP. I won't go into major detail, but both are comparable and take different steps to achieving the same end goal.

Because the X-Reality PRO is an internal scaler, we're actually going to want to convert the VGA signal to HDMI raw without upscaling. From there the X-Reality PRO will do the rest and by the rest, I mean this. Do take a glance as it'll show the amount of tech the engine uses to upscale an image, something a third party scaler simply isn't capable of.

The end result is this and I don't think much more could be expected of a game developed from the late 90's onward, especially with a rendering resolution of 640x480. The X900B in general hides jaggies particularly well, but what stands out to me the most is the color range and depth. Granted this is a testament as to how far technology has come, but it also says a lot about the production value of Shenmue. It truly was ahead of it's time.

Here is the game (both Passport and Disc 1) running:

The equipment (though the most important tech such as the scaler is internal):

Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Shenmue Properly Upscaled to 4K

Postby JaySw34 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:00 pm

Wow that's absolutely gorgeous!
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Peter » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:50 pm

Those are just insane! What????

Do we really need a full blown HD revamp of the series which could take up to a year? Just stick these on the PS3 store!

Peter has received a thanks from: Yama
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Yama » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:52 pm

Peter wrote: Those are just insane! What????

Do we really need a full blown HD revamp of the series which could take up to a year? Just stick these on the PS3 store!

Agreed, pretty much everything AM2 creates ages like fine wine.

Yama has received 3 thanks from: AM2, Esppiral, Supa
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby Sean » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:53 pm

A lot has been said, as of late especially, regarding the high production costs of the series and many in the gaming MSM have been using that fact as a opportunity to take baseless pop shots. With screens like these however, it is clear that there was a clear reason why the game was produced in the manner in which it was and we are still reaping the benefits to this day.

The fact that a game as old as S1 looks this good on the most modern tech, from the sheer color saturation to the crisp image quality is a testament to how ahead of time and advanced the game (and the development behind it) truly was.

Sean has received 3 thanks from: AM2, Peter, Yama
Sean
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Sandbox

Postby squall » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:27 pm

Wow. =P~

Edit: And I'm just watching the videos at 1440, since I can't handle the 4k.
squall
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby brad86 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:56 pm

Jesus! those images look fantastic. Really nice set-up you've got going on there.

brad86 has received a thanks from: Yama
brad86
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Yama » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:03 pm

Moved a few posts, let's keep this thread on topic. This is for upscaling the actual Dreamcast releases, not rendering via emulation. There are threads for that already, feel free to continue there. Thanks!

Yama has received a thanks from: Anthony817
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby code l name » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:33 pm

Very impressive stuff Yama. Can you take more screenshots of environments in both Shenmue 1 and 2 for us?
code l name
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yama » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:38 pm

code l name wrote: Very impressive stuff Yama. Can you take more screenshots of environments in both Shenmue 1 and 2 for us?

Yeah, will do as I play through them both.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby alimn » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:54 pm

Looks astonishing! =D>
alimn
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Raithos » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:28 pm

That looks amazing! I've up scaled before, but this is on another level.

Raithos has received a thanks from: Yama
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Axm » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:39 pm

That looks great!

So what you're saying is, because the TV has X-Reality Pro, what my TV has too, all ill need to do is have a VGA-HDMI converter that will transmit the signal to the TV with an option to not upscale because the TV doing the upscaling does a better job?
If so then great. What converter box do you have then? The ones i've seen so far dont really have any switches on them to control the output.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:02 pm

I got one of the Sony 4K TV's that upscales and have to say Blu Rays look amazing. Haven't tried a game older then something on the PS3/360 era so would be interesting to see how some older games look in person. You never really see how good it looks when someone takes a photo of the TV so I imagine it looks even more amazing when you're in the room.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Yama » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:10 pm

Riku Rose wrote:I got one of the Sony 4K TV's that upscales

Awesome. Which model?

Riku Rose wrote:so I imagine it looks even more amazing when you're in the room.

Yeah, for sure. It looks even better in motion honestly, especially seeing as the entire X series hides jaggies incredibly well.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Next

Return to Shenmue