Joel "red shirt" Tess Discussion Topic (Twitch)

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Joel "red shirt" Tess Discussion Topic (Twitch)

Postby mrandyk » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:00 pm

One shot at Shenmue 3, and the budget is determined by this guy? Really puts a damper on everything when you have to wonder what could have been had a competent firm handled this campaign. It's hard to put into words how discontent I am over this. Shenmue 3 is announced and these guys have found a way to curb my elation. Unacceptable.

mrandyk has received 3 thanks from: Axm, Himuro, mjq jazz bar
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:12 pm

Wrote this in the other thread too. The thing I didn't like was the white-asian mixed guy trying to be all funny and take center stage while he was talking to one of the highest profile game designers in the world about one of the most influential video games in history.

I don't know if he is part Japanese or a different Asian nationality but if he is part Japanese he should at least have a basic understanding of civilized behaviour in Japan even though he might have grown up abroad.

He just came off as utterly disrespectful and not even interested in Shenmue. Those guys seem to have no clue what Shenmue is. But finding out what product they're talking about is what a good PR company does BEFORE they start.

I can give them a pass with the cheap equipment and the small, bland office they were filming in because they are a small company. But it costs only a couple of dollars to buy a used Dreamcast, get the first two games and spend one day playing into both of them a bit.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mjq jazz bar » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:15 pm

Can someone explain to me who actually ran the Bloodstained page? I've seen Fangamer, 8-4 and another company's name come up.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby BlueMue » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:28 pm

This is madness...
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby SlySpy » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:38 pm

I seriously called all of these animated gifs being made. The guy was really acting bizarre; I'm wondering what his situation with YsNet or the rest of Awesome Japan is after that stream.

Looking at it from a glass half full perspective though, at the very least all of the questions asked were relevant, even though we already knew the answers to some of them. I kind of wish more of the stretch goals were explained, but I really hope in the coming weeks, AJ steps their game up with the Q&A's, along with their kickstarter management.

I know someone put his twitter up, but lets try not to blast Joel Tess's twitter with insults. It might give you a good chuckle, but in the end it's ultimately counterproductive to running the campaign, and it makes us all look bad. Two fumbles don't make a right.

By the way though, what was up with the Fanta thing at the beginning? Are they a sponsor or something? I found that part to be very odd.

SlySpy has received 3 thanks from: Hyo Razuki, mjq jazz bar, PacemaŜinobo
SlySpy
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby LucBu » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:44 pm

SlySpy wrote:I seriously called all of these animated gifs being made. The guy was really acting bizarre; I'm wondering what his situation with YsNet or the rest of Awesome Japan is after that stream.

Looking at it from a glass half full perspective though, at the very least all of the questions asked were relevant, even though we already knew the answers to some of them. I kind of wish more of the stretch goals were explained, but I really hope in the coming weeks, AJ steps their game up with the Q&A's, along with their kickstarter management.

I know someone put his twitter up, but lets try not to blast Joel Tess's twitter with insults. It might give you a good chuckle, but in the end it's ultimately counterproductive to running the campaign, and it makes us all look bad. Two fumbles don't make a right.

By the way though, what was up with the Fanta thing at the beginning? Are they a sponsor or something? I found that part to be very odd.

The Fanta thing was probably a reference to the soft drink guzzling of Ryo at the vending machines. I think in a beta version those orange sodas were branded as Fanta or something similar? I know the final feature just a fictional soda company. Could be wrong though.

I do agree that blasting Joel Tess is not a good idea. He seems lively, perhaps a little in over his head, but there are other things we can do to help the Kickstarter. Contacting willing journalists and YouTubers for example. Chances are Suzuki hired Awesome Japan because they were cheap. I do wonder how things would have fared with a different team but what's done is done. Gotta live and work the now.

LucBu has received 2 thanks from: johnvivant, PacemaŜinobo
LucBu
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Jackie Fhan » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:57 pm

Guys, you are taking anything about him in that video way too seriously. Saying you can;t watch it and left etc

I mean, if he acted a little strange or not to your liking well, that's the world man. People are different. It was still shenmue info and shenmue info. You have to have a bit tougher skint than that. I watched the video with no problem after I got home from work..

Let's keep one basic fact an important thing in mind when your slinging negative things on the guy and people running the ks. Ok, rather they do a bad job or needs to change ... I can give you that. We want people to do a job well no doubt but

People are people, all people deserve repect and care to a big extent even if they aren't doing the things we like.

In a world where people make people, you can't really blame anyone for the person they become. The person we become is basically out of our hands, psychologically this is a fact since we are fed and given our personality.

Let's be a group that can stand tall and accept things for what they are , treat those things nicely as we can and push forward in a positive light no matter what. Because, all in all... you can only accept what is most of the time.

Shenmue will hit the target it is destined to hit, we will do more good by being positive than negative.

All in all, psychologically what I saw was the guy trying to be "exciting" and that was his way of trying to push the twitch stream and kickstarter. Now, while most will say it just looked stupid and crazy .. I can't really disagree. But, he had it in his heart to be the right thing. So please, understand that and don't make some person feel bad because they aren't what you are.

All in all, HE was just trying to be positive and make things Yu said seem exciting, is his acting of excitement a little crazy in many of your eyes. YES, is there something you do that soemone in the world will say is crazy, YES.

Point is, subjective is a strong thing you gotta learn.
Last edited by Jackie Fhan on Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Jak , Sly Cooper, Many..

Postby south carmain » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:02 pm

Jackie Fhan wrote: Guys, you are taking anything about him in that video way too seriously. Saying you can;t watch it and left etc

I mean, if he acted a little strange or not to your liking well, that's the world man. People are different. It was still shenmue info and shenmue info. You have to have a bit tougher skint than that. I watched the video with no problem after I got home from work..

Let's keep one basic fact an important thing in mind when your slinging negative things on the guy and people running the ks. Ok, rather they do a bad job or needs to change ... I can give you that. We want people to do a job well no doubt but

People are people, all people deserve repect and care to a big extent even if they aren't doing the things we like.

In a world where people make people, you can't really blame anyone for the person they become. The person we become is basically out of our hands, psychologically this is a fact since we are fed and given our personality.

Let's be a group that can stand tall and accept things for what they are , treat those things nicely as we can and push forward in a positive light no matter what. Because, all in all... you can only accept what is most of the time.

Shenmue will hit the target it is destined to hit, we will do more good by being positive than negative.

All in all, psychologically what I saw was the guy trying to be "exciting" and that was his way of trying to push the twitch stream and kickstarter. Now, while most will say it just looked stupid and crazy .. I can't really disagree. But, he had it in his heart to be the right thing. So please, understand that and don't make some person feel bad because they aren't what you are.

All in all, HE was just trying to be positive and make things Yu said seem exciting, is his acting of excitement a little crazy in many of your eyes. YES, is there something you do that soemone in the world will say is crazy, YES.

Point is, subjective is a strong thing you gotta learn.

Hello joel, enjoying your time on the dojo? yes? good.

south carmain has received 2 thanks from: Hyo Razuki, MiTT3NZ
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby NeoShredder » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:04 pm

Rakim wrote: He's on facebook:

He seems nice enough.

NO

As fans we must not go down this road. More harm than good.
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5

Postby Jackie Fhan » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:08 pm

south carmain wrote:
Jackie Fhan wrote: ..

Hello joel, enjoying your time on the dojo? yes? good.

Well, psychological things never go very well in the world people have created anyways. lol

But, some people have been a bit too mean about the guy. Just feel it's a bad thing for a community to set a standard for.

If he is actually a true shenmue fan, how can you kick a guy to the curb that enjoys something you do as well?

If you are that guy, you still have a heart, a brain and feelings. That is what some of you guys are missing honestly... put your self in his shoes.. no one wants to be piled up on. What if he honestly felt quite bad about the things he has seen online as I am sure he has.. As a person that lost his mother in middle school and has tried to treat people with respect and care no matter what. Some of these comments have felt rather terrible in my eyes. Not talking strictly here, but in quite a few places I have visited online.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jibby » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:14 pm

I feel genuinely bad for Joel Tess. All of these insults, jokes, gifs and memes about him are just unnecessary and cruel. All he was trying to do was lighten the mood and whilst he did come off as unprofessional, he hardly deserves to become hated and called all of these nasty, awful things.
Posting links to his Facebook and Twitter here is incredibly immature. Let's face it, he's going to get trolled on his personal social network pages.
At the end of the day, he's a human being with feelings that don't deserve to be hurt. He was clearly nervous about being on stream and was trying to play it off by overreacting. If people are going to roast him, it's just going to make his confidence worse which is really sad. I'm really disappointed with the general attitude here. I would have expected better.
Last edited by Jibby on Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jibby has received a thanks from: NeoShredder
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:15 pm

I don't mind his quirkiness too much - the main issue I had was the lack of preparation and efficiency. The guy would repeat the exact answer that Yu Suzuki gave to us as a question, which has to go through the translator, back to Yu, back through the translator. There were a bunch of questions that were already answered 4-5 times in the kickstarter updates before the stream started, so he should've just compiled a list of all of those common questions and just went over them rapid fire in the beginning of the stream so we can get to new questions.

There should've also been someone dedicated to picking out questions from the comment section. All you have to do is scroll up to see all of the comments, and they would stop "moving too fast!". Let alone the video and audio quality was poor. Twitch streamers who stream for fun have better set-ups.

I agree with others who say that in the grand scheme, who knows how much a KS campaign management team REALLY affects the outcome. I think people want to buy a good product (Shenmue III) and cool shit (all the goodies from the tiers). But of course, you'd like for Shenmue III to get all of the positive help it can get.
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby NeoShredder » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:17 pm

Jibby wrote: I feel genuinely bad for Joel Tess. All of these insults, jokes, gifs and memes about him are just unnecessary and cruel. All he was trying to do was lighten the mood and whilst he did come off as unprofessional, he hardly deserves to become hated and called all of these nasty, awful things.
Posting links to his Facebook and Twitter here is incredibly immature. Let's face it, he's going to get trolled on his personal social network pages.
At the end of the day, he's a human being with feelings that don't deserve to be hurt. He was clearly nervous about being on stream and was trying to play it off by overreacting. If people are going to roast him, it's just going to make his confidence worse which is really sad. I'm really disappointed with the general attitude here. I would have expected better.

THIS. The kickstarter efforts cannot be reduced to this.

NeoShredder has received a thanks from: Jibby
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5

Postby Jackie Fhan » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:18 pm

Let's keep in mind that we all have jobs (well most) even though some of s may be good or bad at something doesn't mean wall of us are lazy. Some of us are just poor at things and interaction perhaps.

How about instead of beating him down you reach out to him, say.. hey good job man hope we can work on a few things though.

Positive and constructive criticisim is going to take us a lot further than the alternative. He is around yu and the team, let's see if he is open to chatting with us and hearing our ideas instead. invite him here to hear us out and welcome him. Working together is going to do a lot more good than having him feel reluctant.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jackie Fhan » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:20 pm

Tomato Convenience Store wrote: I don't mind his quirkiness too much - the main issue I had was the lack of preparation and efficiency. The guy would repeat the exact answer that Yu Suzuki gave to us as a question, which has to go through the translator, back to Yu, back through the translator. There were a bunch of questions that were already answered 4-5 times in the kickstarter updates before the stream started, so he should've just compiled a list of all of those common questions and just went over them rapid fire in the beginning of the stream so we can get to new questions.

There should've also been someone dedicated to picking out questions from the comment section. All you have to do is scroll up to see all of the comments, and they would stop "moving too fast!". Let alone the video and audio quality was poor. Twitch streamers who stream for fun have better set-ups.

I agree with others who say that in the grand scheme, who knows how much a KS campaign management team REALLY affects the outcome. I think people want to buy a good product (Shenmue III) and cool shit (all the goodies from the tiers). But of course, you'd like for Shenmue III to get all of the positive help it can get.

Sometimes when we are a bit new to things or whatever... it comes down to a point where we find our selves doing something that is a bit stupid and takes time and understanding to see how it should have been done. I can agree with you that it seemed silly, but he obviously had no idea about it at the time. We all make these mistakes.

I was actually most unhappy about he quality of the ideo, mic and production...

The shimmering video and not being able to hear anything was the worse thing in my eyes. They really need to get a regular streamer to set them up or something.

Jackie Fhan has received a thanks from: Jibby
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III