Delayed or unfinished?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Delayed or unfinished?

Postby iyapol » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:08 am

$11,000,000 would be a hell of an achievement and, let's face it, it'll be a miracle if we even get close to that amount by the end of the KS campaign.

There's been loads of talk about the possibility of PayPal and, over a longer period, $11,000,000 may be achievable.

But the question is, would you prefer an 'incomplete' game using the KS funds to be released by December 2017, or would you be prepared to wait that little bit longer for the full funds to be collected for a delayed 'complete' game?
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Delayed or unfinished?

Postby James Brown » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:16 am

Seriously after 14 years, i'm in no rush, I personally would rather a complete experience, which is why I also don't want to be selfish and expect Yu to cut the story short for the sake of an end to this amazing series! I would much prefer the slight risk of Shenmue 3 doing well to guarantee a 4th or 5th game! The series always had the potential to become the most epic story driven game in existance, I often look at my Dreamcast shelf and look at the 2 boxes for Shenmue 1 and 2, and imagine another 3 or 4 in a row, it would have been something special. We have this back right now, and I don't particularly care as long as it takes, as long as it's before I die :), I would prefer the complete experience!

James Brown has received a thanks from: Miles Prower
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby alexh86 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:58 am

I hope they unveil ongoing donations and Paypal pre-orders for copies of the game or even for some of the reward tiers after the campaign ends. Obviously they shouldn't do that now or they will cannibalize potential pledges during the campaign but we could get some significant money together over the course of the next 24-30 months. As we see more footage of the game, people may want to buy one of the reward tiers and those of us in the fan community would gladly kick in $10-$20 per months as an ongoing donation. 30 months is a long time, we could get some good money together.
alexh86
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ahark86

Postby spinksy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:06 am

Pretty pointless even talking about delaying the game or whatever as that just ISN'T going to happen.

Let's just look forward to whatever we're getting. :)

spinksy has received a thanks from: Hyo Razuki
spinksy

XBL: spinksy777
Currently playing: Shenmue, skies of Arcadia

Postby BayStone » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:16 am

The whole concept of an 'unfinished' game from the gamers' perspective is tricky to say the least. Most games go through considerable cuts before they're done, sometimes the entire game is cut and then rebuilt, yet, most games are not considered 'unfinished'. Expect when a piece of DLC comes out that gamers consider to be a part of the core game, based on on some rather arbitrary rules... or when gamers know that something was cut, and usually before the cuts happen. Hmm.

Now, what it means when it comes S3... i have no idea.

EDIT: But as for the actual topic, yeah, no delays please. It's now or never.
BayStone
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:24 am

Most games have some parts cut out along the way of development. Most movies have some "deleted scenes" which may or may not surface sooner or later.

Don't get the big fuzz about it.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ConanTheKing » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:36 am

If there is guarantee that the game will not end up in development hello like Duke Nukem Forever or Aliens: Colonial Marines then I would much rather the game got delayed and we got a full experience.

Part of me hopes that Sony change their mind and provide additional funding after seeing how successful the campaign has become.
ConanTheKing

PSN: ConanTheLeader

Postby iyapol » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:39 am

spinksy wrote: Pretty pointless even talking about delaying the game or whatever as that just ISN'T going to happen.

There's a disclaimer on the KS page warning people about a potential delay. It's a very real possibility!
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby iyapol » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:42 am

Hyo Razuki wrote: Most games have some parts cut out along the way of development. Most movies have some "deleted scenes" which may or may not surface sooner or later.

This would be the complete opposite. It wouldn't be deleted because it wouldn't have been made to delete! I think the frustration lies with the carrot being dangled...
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:58 am

iyapol wrote:
Hyo Razuki wrote: Most games have some parts cut out along the way of development. Most movies have some "deleted scenes" which may or may not surface sooner or later.

This would be the complete opposite. It wouldn't be deleted because it wouldn't have been made to delete! I think the frustration lies with the carrot being dangled...

That is a problem for sure. But that's the nature of KS, I guess. And by "cutting" I didn't necessarily mean being cut after production, but I also meant the producer saying: "Another side mission? Nah guys, that's not gonna happen. We don't have the money for it."

I think that happens with a loooooot of games out there. The only difference is that for most games you don't know what could have been.

Generally speaking, I think it's a kind of "doomed if you do, doomed if you don't"-thing with the stretch goals. On one hand you want to show people interesting stretch goals to get more pledges or make people up their pledge. On the other hand you're gonna get people whining about the stretch goals, if the KS doesn't make them.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby spinksy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:16 pm

iyapol wrote:
spinksy wrote: Pretty pointless even talking about delaying the game or whatever as that just ISN'T going to happen.

There's a disclaimer on the KS page warning people about a potential delay. It's a very real possibility!

Yeah thats most likely regarding development taking longer than they expect - not because they're going to wait to collect more donations.
spinksy

XBL: spinksy777
Currently playing: Shenmue, skies of Arcadia

Postby Yama » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:52 pm

There is no solid release date, so there is no use in mentioning "delays." I'm willing to wait as long as it takes to bring us a quality product that Suzuki is happy with, within his available budgeting.

I think the term delay is being misunderstood. Had a similar conversation with Axm the other day. There's a difference between planning to release a game during a later release window and extending past an actual release window that was budgeted for. Whether the release is 2017 or 2020, the team is budgeted to withstand that duration in some way. If there is an actual delay, they are beyond the budget threshold. It's not a matter if they "have the money" or not, but rather now will have to reach into other areas and decrease funding or raise once again, which isn't a good thing for this project.

Either way, I think it'll be fine. Suzuki has went through this all before and the last thing he wants on his resume is another financial disaster.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby BlueMue » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:16 pm

I wouldn't mind waiting longer for the game when it will be more complete then. They shouldn't rush anything.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby KidMarine » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:26 pm

I think if Shenmue fans have proved anything, it's that we can wait.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Return to Shenmue III