In all of this can't we atleast give a thumbs up to Sega?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

In all of this can't we atleast give a thumbs up to Sega?

Postby Jackie Fhan » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:43 am

A lot of us here are fan of games and sega games.

While Sega tried to go on and push their games out it became hard for them on a money front.

I have to say, a lot of companies would never let an IP in the hands of another company or studio. Even if that studio was your biggest star or whatever.

I was pleasently surprised and happy to see that Sega gave out the shenmue IP for use with Yu and his teams.

It has to show some of the respect and care Sega actually has for Yu and the fans of Sega imo

I am curious though, did or is sega getting anything out of this deal? money, good will? Some kind of build up for a SH 1 and 2 HD release. As muc as I'd like to say they are completely a good guy, I'm assuming they are getting a bit of something out of the deal.

In closing though, I'd just like to say thanks to Sega for letting this project get out and see the light of day. Even though they may not believe in it and rightfully so, I am at least glad they are wiling to let Yu work on it. Thanks Sega
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Jak , Sly Cooper, Many..

Re: In all of this can't we atleast give a thumbs up to Sega

Postby KidMarine » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:46 am

Thank you SEGA for not fucking this up like you do pretty much everything else. Yours, a life long SEGA fan.

KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby LucBu » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:52 am

I'm not too sure of the facts concerning Sega. Given Yu's position, I don't think he would spill something foul on them. If they have been good to him then sure, but some sources said Sega got in the way for years. Can't really tell. I'm sure we'll find out more in the years to come.

It's very possible that they may charge him to include franchise arcade machines and the like in Shenmue 3 for example. I don't get the impression that Sega is charitable or anything. Somewhere, somehow, it seems likely they're getting something for this. Shenmue 3 may be a hook for them to gauge interest for Shenmue IV and the HD ports. They may just be using Yu and the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter the way miners used canaries.
LucBu
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Jackie Fhan » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:00 am

LucBu wrote: I'm not too sure of the facts concerning Sega. Given Yu's position, I don't think he would spill something foul on them. If they have been good to him then sure, but some sources said Sega got in the way for years. Can't really tell. I'm sure we'll find out more in the years to come.

It's very possible that they may charge him to include franchise arcade machines and the like in Shenmue 3 for example. I don't get the impression that Sega is charitable or anything. Somewhere, somehow, it seems likely they're getting something for this. Shenmue 3 may be a hook for them to gauge interest for Shenmue IV and the HD ports. They may just be using Yu and the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter the way miners used canaries.

Well, you know it can be near impossible for a company to ever just let anyone else work on their belongings.

Capcom, Konami. If you aren't making it directly for them it has been rather hard to see their IPs at all.

I do have to give credit to sega, even if they somehow make money on the included arcade titles, I don't see anything wrong with that. They are a company and they are the ones that gave money to develope the titles. Withou them, we would have never seen any of those games anyways.

To be fair, they did try and tried to create a lot of the games the fans wanted, they just didn't sell.

All in all, I think one of the worst things they ever did was not including more games on PS2 early on, but I honestly felt sega was doing some of teh best things ever even when they were still not meeting sells expectations. All those cool ps2 games later in the PS2's life cycle were amazing.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Jak , Sly Cooper, Many..

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:03 am

Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby spinksy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:50 am

KidMarine wrote: Thank you SEGA for not fucking this up like you do pretty much everything else. Yours, a life long SEGA fan.

this.

They've pretty much killed all the franchises that made them what they are today - thank you Sega for letting Yu have the licence.
spinksy

XBL: spinksy777
Currently playing: Shenmue, skies of Arcadia

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:53 am

Since they killed AM2, they might as well throw their licenses to the garbage bin.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Amir » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:16 am

I dunno, this is pretty much a zero-risk best possible outcome for Sega. They know no one else could make a Shenmue game apart from Suzuki, but they also don't want to back a sequel, and won't sell the IP, either. They've also probably negotiated a cut of sales in exchange for letting Yu play with the license. I get the feeling Sony is putting more into this than Sega (what a time we live in when Sony does more for Shenmue than Sega...).
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby jcjimher » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:25 pm

Well yeah, thumbs up for Sega from me.

They could have buried the Shenmue license forever. Or they could have tried to revamp it without Yu Suzuki's involvement (like Konami seems like going to do with Metal Gear).

Now if they released the first games remakes on time I would upper my tier towards them :-P
jcjimher
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:31 pm

I don't think they could fit anymore up their own arse with the way the company has been managed in the last decade.

jcjimher wrote:Now if they released the first games remakes on time I would upper my tier towards them :-P

Everything hinges on this. If JGR, Daytona USA and VF2 can get digital re-releases, then so can Shenmue. It's not like SEGA will have a hand in it anyway, because I'm pretty sure that they contracted with smaller software houses to port the games.
Wude-Tang Clan

Postby KidMarine » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:38 pm

I read somewhere that Shenmue HD has been finished and ready to go for a while now, but there's some legal confusion as to who owns certain technology that is used in the game. The company/companies that SEGA licensed the technology from no longer exists.

Allegedly, I don't know how true this is.

KidMarine has received a thanks from: Axm
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby spinksy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:40 pm

KidMarine wrote: I read somewhere that Shenmue HD has been finished and ready to go for a while now, but there's some legal confusion as to who owns certain technology that is used in the game. The company/companies that SEGA licensed the technology from no longer exists.

I too read this years ago - I read that they unofficially said that because JSR and Nights didn't sell all that well when re released that they wasn't going to invest anymore money into re releasing Shenmue.
spinksy

XBL: spinksy777
Currently playing: Shenmue, skies of Arcadia

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:44 pm

I'd give them props if they'd promote the game at all.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby jcjimher » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:54 pm

KidMarine wrote: I read somewhere that Shenmue HD has been finished and ready to go for a while now, but there's some legal confusion as to who owns certain technology that is used in the game. The company/companies that SEGA licensed the technology from no longer exists.

Yeah, I read that too and it seems believable to me. I remember even with the Jet Set Radio port they had to overcome some legal things about most of the licensed soundtrack, and Shenmue original credits have a loooong list of logos from external (and most unknown) companies collaborating.

From that point, I think it would make sense for the Sony third party relations team to intervene and give some help with overcoming those legal issues. It seems like this shpuld be their area of expertise, and they could get PS4 exclusivity of the ports in exchange (which would be a big plus for Sony in order to promote the PS4 agains the PC version of Shenmue III).
jcjimher
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby south carmain » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:05 pm

Thanks SEGA for not being massive cunts I guess
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Next