Just came across a QTE sequence for the very first time...

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Just came across a QTE sequence for the very first time...

Postby Ceej » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:05 pm

So I've beaten Shenmue 10+ times...and I just came across a QTE sequence I've never seen before.

I'm on Disc 2 and I've just given my money to the Asia Travel Company, but they've closed for the day. It's about 9:15 PM game time, and I'm just going from bar to bar to kill the last few hours of the day. I came across a QTE sequence with a drunk guy wearing all tan clothing and trucker cap...it was an easy sequence, I believe all you had to do was press A and then left...and then the guy walks away.

My mind is kind of blown that I've somehow never came across this before...is this a common sequence you guys see a lot? Is there any follow up on this later in the game or is it a one-off encounter?
Ceej
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Just came across a QTE sequence for the very first time.

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:32 am

New to me. Can you find it online and post a video?
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:40 am

I don't recognize the description of the person you gave. but isn't this the drunk vegetable shop owner?
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby JaySw34 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:52 am

Yes it's one of the sailors right? This event can happen multiple times. If you fail the QTE (which will only happen if you fail on purpose, as you're given a bunch of chances) you will be sent home for the night.
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:55 am

Never mind. I just looked it up. It's this one:

phpBB [video]
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:59 am

I don't remember having this one often. maybe my memory is fading or this qte is somewhat rare
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby Sonne2 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:28 am

When I first lost that qte, I thought Ryo had died.
Sonne2
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Ceej » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:31 am

TwiceFriedRice wrote: Never mind. I just looked it up. It's this one:

phpBB [video]

That's the one! I was geeking out when I came across this last night...it's not often that I find new things in a game I've been playing for 15 years :D
Ceej

Postby Hyo Razuki » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:42 am

I got that on my first ever playthrough, I think. But it took me 8 years or so to find the QTE battle with those high school girls at the harbor.

Also the "Ryo's friends stop by" scene took me 5 or 6 years to find out. Also it took just as long for me to find out that you could actually beat Chai at the Arcade. :oops: And I needed 2 or three years to find the duck race, too.

Anyway, it's amazing how Shenmue can still surprise us after so many years, right?
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Ceej » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:50 am

Hyo Razuki wrote: I got that on my first ever playthrough, I think. But it took me 8 years or so to find the QTE battle with those high school girls at the harbor.

Also the "Ryo's friends stop by" scene took me 5 or 6 years to find out. Also it took just as long for me to find out that you could actually beat Chai at the Arcade. :oops: And I needed 2 or three years to find the duck race, too.

Anyway, it's amazing how Shenmue can still surprise us after so many years, right?

Of course!

I'm surprised it took you so long to get the QTE battle with the high school girls...I believe all you have to do is follow the lunch stand quest to get that one.

I'll admit, I've maybe seen the scene with Ryo's friends one time...and I barely remember it. I don't really remember how to trigger that one.
Ceej

Postby joka » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:58 pm

I remember getting a guide at the time that covered most if not all the little bonuses like this.

'friends come over' and the fight in the park that involves Nozomi had to be done at specific points in the story that you could easily skip from recollection.

Wasn't there a scene with Nozomi that only happened if you were at home to answer the phone also? Lol gotta love it...

I think there's a variation on this qte with one of the sailors also isn't there?

If you fail it they smash the bottle over you don't they? :-/
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby Miles Prower » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:18 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote: I got that on my first ever playthrough, I think. But it took me 8 years or so to find the QTE battle with those high school girls at the harbor.

Yeah, I remember for the longest time thinking it was impossible to beat Chai at the arcade (and even on finding out from here, I think I've only managed it once) - it's worth doing, as you can ask everyone in Dobuita if they've seen Chai anywhere- Ryo's description of him is quite amusing, and his tone of voice is a lot more urgent than it usually is during conversations :lol:
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987

Postby Hyo Razuki » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:42 pm

Miles Prower wrote:

Yeah, I remember for the longest time thinking it was impossible to beat Chai at the arcade (and even on finding out from here, I think I've only managed it once) - it's worth doing, as you can ask everyone in Dobuita if they've seen Chai anywhere- Ryo's description of him is quite amusing, and his tone of voice is a lot more urgent than it usually is during conversations :lol:

No, since the day I found out you can beat Chai at the Arcade, it became my iron principle to always beat Chai twice on every playthrough. :D I always save before the fight and if I lose I try again until I beat him. I found out later though, that the Mud Spider move from the antique shop is very helpful in beating Chai. Train it way up and put it on R.

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: Miles Prower
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby rome » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:01 pm

Miles Prower wrote:

Creepy skinhead wearing purple, with bandages on his arms and legs hahaha!

I just finished my most recent playthrough, and it's only my second time beating Chai straight up. No Crawl Cyclone.
rome
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby MechaWumpa » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:53 am

When I first played Shenmue I failed this QTE 3 times, something must be wrong with me.
MechaWumpa
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: RandomDudeXIII
Currently playing: Persona 5

Next

Return to Shenmue