Cedric Biscay wants PewDiePie to show Shenmue

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Cedric Biscay wants PewDiePie to show Shenmue

Postby Upstairsmuffin » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:07 am

Eugh... I know it'll bring a lot of attention to Shenmue, but I'm worried about what kind of attention. The thought of PewdiePie playing Shenmue makes me uncomfortable.

Then again, I haven't watched many of his videos at all to be sure what it'll be like.
Upstairsmuffin
Asia Travel Representative

XBL: UpstairsMuffin
Steam: UpstairsMuffin
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:14 pm

All of these bombastic, forced, overacting Youtubers are insufferable to me and make me want to bite a cyanide capsule just trying to endure 5 minutes of their inane, banal, "entertainment." But they have massive captive audiences who hang on their every word...

But kid gamed the system and knew exactly what he was doing. He might *act* obnoxious and stupid, but he's young and loaded. He's not punching a clock 9-5 or ass kissing in the corporate world. He is free to live whatever life he pleases; he won, doesn't matter how. I bet if anyone of us spent 5 minutes around him we'd realize that he's very humble, affable guy who is just having fun with life.

Do not underestimate how much influence this dude has. He could break every stretch goal with one sentence, "please, everyone donate to the Shenmue campaign so we can have more sailors, hur dur."
Last edited by Wude-Tang Clan on Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wude-Tang Clan has received a thanks from: Rakim
Wude-Tang Clan
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Jibby » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:24 pm

The thing about PewDiePie is that when he isn't trying to appeal to his audience of 12y/o children by screaming and swearing he can actually be quite likable. Watch some of his older stuff, notably his "To the Moon" lets play and you'll see that he wasn't always THAT bad.
I think if he approached Shenmue with that same sort of attitude instead of trying to be funny by swearing in Swedish every couple of seconds he could do the Kickstarter a lot of good and actually be quite entertaining.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:37 pm

Jibby wrote: The thing about PewDiePie is that when he isn't trying to appeal to his audience of 12y/o children by screaming and swearing he can actually be quite likable. Watch some of his older stuff, notably his "To the Moon" lets play and you'll see that he wasn't always THAT bad.
I think if he approached Shenmue with that same sort of attitude instead of trying to be funny by swearing in Swedish every couple of seconds he could do the Kickstarter a lot of good and actually be quite entertaining.

It's not even about him putting Shenmue in a positive light, all he has to do is play the game once, mention the Kickstarter and put a link in the description to donate. 5% of his subscribers donating $5 is 9.4 million.

Wude-Tang Clan has received a thanks from: Upstairsmuffin
Wude-Tang Clan

Postby Jibby » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:40 pm

Wude-Tang Clan wrote:
Jibby wrote: The thing about PewDiePie is that when he isn't trying to appeal to his audience of 12y/o children by screaming and swearing he can actually be quite likable. Watch some of his older stuff, notably his "To the Moon" lets play and you'll see that he wasn't always THAT bad.

It's not even about him putting Shenmue in a positive light, all he has to do is play the game once, mention the Kickstarter and put a link in the description to donate. 5% of his subscribers donating $5 is 9.4 million dollars.

True, true. Not going to deny that, but if he does put it in a positive light and take it seriously, it's likely that even more of his fans will donate at even higher tiers resulting in an even better Shenmue.

Although I also worry that we'll see more 'troll pledges' if PewDiePie does it considering the fact that his fanbase aren't the most mature.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Drakul » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:03 pm

i watched a bit of pewdiepie with a friend at work a few months back. Not really my cup of tea but his huge following could help. The people who don't know Shenmue may not care and they wouldn't back anyway but it could reach some fans who are not aware of the kickstarter.
Drakul

Postby Jackie Fhan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:09 pm

You guys did get me curious. I went to see one of his videos and eh, isn't a guy I'd like to hang out and talk to.

Things spread like a virus though, once people are into it, it just grows. Nah, I don't even care if he plays shenmue.

I can handle red shirt guy way more than I can this guy lol

I see that pewdiepie is just a guy that got lucky in the social run of things, he isn't really talented or anything. I'd rather watch a guy that can give me technical analysis and has some intelligence to what he is doing.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Jak , Sly Cooper, Many..

Postby sand4fish » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:35 pm

Isn't most of his audience kinda pretty young? I hope kids carry credit cards for lunch money nowadays.

sand4fish has received 2 thanks from: Axm, FlagshipFighter
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Jackie Fhan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:04 pm

sand4fish wrote: Isn't most of his audience kinda pretty young? I hope kids carry credit cards for lunch money nowadays.

They would have to be since he is just acting stupid and screaming at random things all the time.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Jak , Sly Cooper, Many..

Postby elmatto » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:13 pm

My guess is hell probably make fun of the game most the time. If he does play it I mean. The dub is ripe with awkward dialogue.
elmatto

Postby Upstairsmuffin » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:19 pm

Wude-Tang Clan wrote:5% of his subscribers donating $5 is 9.4 million.

Wow, this is amazing.

I watched a few minutes of some let's plays he did and I don't think it'll be that bad.

Should we tweet him with #pewdiepieplaysshenmue or what?
Upstairsmuffin

XBL: UpstairsMuffin
Steam: UpstairsMuffin

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:28 pm

well the tweet in question from Cedric Biscay still only has 70+ retweets, the Shenmue community seems to be getting smaller. get retweeting and put some effort into it or there is definitely no chance.

https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status ... 8697553920
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:35 pm

A Facebook comment requesting he review/play Shenmue got hundreds of likes: https://t.co/fbNycQeHxy

Circulate the link. Get it to thousands of likes.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Drakul » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:24 pm

Jackie Fhan wrote: You guys did get me curious. I went to see one of his videos and eh, isn't a guy I'd like to hang out and talk to.

Things spread like a virus though, once people are into it, it just grows. Nah, I don't even care if he plays shenmue.

I can handle red shirt guy way more than I can this guy lol

I see that pewdiepie is just a guy that got lucky in the social run of things, he isn't really talented or anything. I'd rather watch a guy that can give me technical analysis and has some intelligence to what he is doing.

the thing is like someone said already that his early videos were (to me as a 35yo) funnier but then he saw which of his vids got the most views and catered to his fans. Good business for sure but the quality went down.
Drakul

Previous

Return to Shenmue III