Twitter Q&A

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Twitter Q&A

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:48 am

were there originally 16 chapters in the shenmue saga or were there 11? please elaborate as to why some say 16 and some say 11.

Yu: It is 11 chapters, but with branched story line, it will be more than 11

Hi Yu is there any chance we can carry on Pledging after the Kickstarter date has closed?

Yu: Thanks for the question, we will look into it.

at $5 million, exactly HOW open world will Shenmue 3 be, compared to Shenmue 1/2?

Yu: I'm expecting something similar to Dobuita in terms of scale.

now that we know Shenmue 3 will not end the Story, do you have a backup plan if it won´t succeed to tell the end?

Yu: Gonna have to find a successor I think.

will Shenmue have online functionality for example Online arcade Highscores or Online 70 man fighting battles?

Yu: It will be a lot of fun, but depends on budget, so still under consideration

Will you be disappointed if the kickstarter doesn't raise $10mill for that 'open world experience'?

Yu: No I won't. I am greatful I have another chance for a new Shenmue. I will do everything I can within the budget

Will the Tiger scroll translated by Guizang in 1 be in 3?

Yu: Great idea! I will look into it.

For Ryo Hazuki's model and others, are you going to reuse models and generally assets from Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2?

Yu: I don't plan on recycling them, but will use the good parts as an reference.

Would love to hear Mandarin voice acting alongside Japanese in Shenmue 3, could we make it stretch goal?

Yu: Thank you, it is under consideration.

Why do you think Shenmue didn't appeal to the mass audience back then? Would it need to be 'modernized' for today?

Yu: One reason may be there were so many new challenges. New challenges this time too. It's the most important thing.

Can we expect the return of lottery prize in Shenmue 3? May be the first prize can be a figure of Yu Suzuki!

Yu: Great idea. Thanks. I will need to think about something more appealing than a figure of me.

will u research latest tech in AI so u can include it in shenmue 3 to make it a pioneering game like its predecessors?

Yu: Yes. I would like to take on some new challenge in terms of technology.

is there a possibility to film a production process for example motion capture or dubbing, during development of Shenmue 3?

Yu: Yes, we have it and I would like to feature it in an update

Will CocaCola join the Party?

Yu: I'm considering collaborations with companies like Coca Cola

Do you have any idea if Sega's planning on doing a Virtua Fighter 6?

Yu: I have not heard about it from SEGA.

What can you tell me of the three blades?

Yu: Jobs using scissors, razor and knife- barber, cook, and sewer. Skills for jobs with steady demand in any era.

although a little hint is left in the video Tak Hirai, Ryo he will now be able to jump into Shenemue 3?

Yu: Yes. I am researching the new technology to have more natural motions in Shenmue 3

My ten year old daughter wants to know if she'll be able to use the phone at will in Shenmue 3 like she does in Shenmue 1

Yu: Look forward to it. There will be many nostalgic scenes. Maybe a tin can telephone as well?

If future installments of Shenmue become a possibility will we have the option to bring over save data from 3?

Yu: I have not decided it yet.

Can we expect epic fights like in Kowloon in Shenmue 2 and a similar battle fight system?

Yu: There is "Battle System Expanded" Stretch Goal. It will enhance the battles, better than Shenmue 2

Will we start Shenmue 3 with some items/skills/scrolls from Shenmue 1+2?

Yu: The platform is different, so unfortunately we can't do it.

Should we expect any Sega related stuff in Shenmue 3 like arcade games or toy capsules?

Yu: There is a possibility.

Were there any gameplay elements for Shenmue 1 and 2 that had to be cut due to budget constraints?

Yu: Yes. I wanted the ramen noodles to get soggy and yucky, but couldn't. I wanted to get that real.

Will the "Shenmue Trial" be used for feedback to improve the game like Square Enix have with the FF15 demo?

Yu: I would definitely want to get feedback, so I'm looking into how to put a system like that in place.

Will there be official kickstarter/Shenmue 3 forums to discuss and give feedback throughout the development process?

Yu: I of course would like that and am looking into it.

Will everything be voice acted the same way as 1 and 2? or will budget constraints not allow 100% VO all the time?

Yu: Full voice will be possible if we have enough funding.

What's the I.Q. score of Fukuhara-san?

Yu: Maybe something like 86?

I was wondering did you get Ryo Hazuki name from Ryudo Uzaki that was a Japanese musician?

Yu: Nope

My question is why is not possible to use (Shenmue Passport) models for the Shenmue 3?

Yu: I'm considering about adding some functions from Shenmue Passport.

can we expect custom clothing for Ryo Hazuki it would be great feature to able to style Ryo Hazuki as we want

Yu: There's a feature on the $250 tier and up to change Ryo's jacket. Other customizing under consideration

Why the Dragon Mirror was hidden under a cherry tree, a not so safe place like the basement?

Yu: Iwao thought the place under Cherry blossom tree was safer.

Why Iwao Hazuki loves the carrots so much?

Yu: Yes! Iwao's most favorite food is carrots! *jokingly*

Where did Ryo got his band aid?

Yu: It didn't appear in Chp.1, but there was a martial arts event. The scar is from the final match

what is your favorite movie?

Yu: My favorite 3 are: The Hustler, Casablanca, Roman Holiday. I love Billiards, and I still play it sometimes.

Will Shenmue 3 be compatible with the project Morpheus VR headset for the ultimate second life experience?

Yu: I feel that VR offers great possibilities.

Will in Shenmue 3 be a dog to pet call look and feed?

Yu: Depends on the budget.

Shenmue's core plot is basically Hamlet - are you a Shakespeare fan & has that been an influence?

Yu: Sorry, but I have not read Hamlet. I know Hamtaro though.

I always wondered how ryo , being Japanese, could communicate so easy in China. Can ryo speak Chinese?

Yu: Let's not go there...

will there be any more dinners offered for the $10,000 tier?

Yu: We just added them today!

How was your day?

Yu: It is Shenmue Day, so on Twitter with everyone. So many participating, I couldn't be happier. Rewards sold out! Thanks all!!!

What did YU name the kitten?

Yu: I think I named her with dog names, like Pochi or Gontaro.

will we see a shenmue soda (can be just a can) and what would it taste like?

Yu: If there is any interested beverage firm out there, please contact YSNET

Suzuki-san, can you please tell us some little info about Shenhua that the fans don't already know yet?

Yu: The Shenmue tree's flower is named Shenhua. She is named after that flower.

Will Ryo learn the value of forgiveness in Shenmue 3?

Yu: Please play Shenmue 3 for that answer!

do you have a rough idea how many people will be in the development team for Shenmue 3?

Yu: It will vary depending on the KS budget.

Since relationships between characters will be more prominent, will we see something like a multiple choice conversation system?

Yu: I am thinking about a dialogue selection system.

Please confirm that guns will never be a part of Shenmue gameplay, not for Ryo or any other playable character

Yu: I am not thinking about including guns as a weapon at the moment.

will ryo finally eat and do other bodly functions?

Yu: I don't have plan on implementing it for S3.

Why does Ryo have a Saturn under his tv in Shenmue 1 but no games? Was Iwao using the promise of a game for it to focus Ryo?

Yu: That sounds about right. Let's go with that.

Mr. Suzuki, what is your favorite music to listen to?

Yu: I like Jazz and Rock.

Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Re: Twitter Q&A

Postby joka » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:56 am

Lol at the 3 blades and the Fuku San questions!

I love how Yu actually answered them seriously...

The 'tell us something about Shenhua we wouldn't know' answer was odd though- I mean doesn't she actually say she's named after the flower in Shenmue 2?! That's common knowledge surely...
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:01 am

joka wrote:The 'tell us something about Shenhua we wouldn't know' answer was odd though- I mean doesn't she actually say she's named after the flower in Shenmue 2?! That's common knowledge surely...

Yup had me looking like this -> :-s

The band aid response was great though!
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby MJMW » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:04 am

Last edited by MJMW on Fri May 25, 2018 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
MJMW
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: FFXII

Postby Jackie Fhan » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:05 am

I don't think a gun in reference to story and potential use is a horrible idea. Doing it like Jak2 or 3 is thou.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Jak , Sly Cooper, Many..

Postby BlueMue » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:09 am

Pretty impressive how many answers he pumped out.Some very nice insights and little bits of info. I like your lighthearted he took some of the questions. The one with Fuku-san really made me chuckle. It's a bit sad they are limited in size because of how small the tweets have to be but still a great effort from Yu.

Oh and thanks RikuRose for putting this all together!
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby johnvivant » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:14 am

MJMW wrote: "Please confirm that guns will never be a part of Shenmue gameplay, not for Ryo or any other playable character

Yu: I am not thinking about including guns as a weapon at the moment."

At the moment? So it's a possibility.

Or maybe he's referring to the energy balls Ryo will start conjuring up...

i'll bet my life that there will never be guns in shenmue, but on the other hand, hadouken and sword fighting....just might be...
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby johnvivant » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:18 am

was the thing about a tin can telephone a joke?
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:29 am

johnvivant wrote: was the thing about a tin can telephone a joke?

LOL yes, I think Yu just said that because of the guys 10 year old daughter :P
It's nice to hear there'll be some nostalgic scenes though! \:D/

Sonoshee has received a thanks from: johnvivant
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby myshtuff » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:52 am

I'm a little confused about the answer regarding scale. Does he mean the entire game will be the size of dobuita? Or in terms of interactivity with the environment?
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:59 am

myshtuff wrote: I'm a little confused about the answer regarding scale. Does he mean the entire game will be the size of dobuita? Or in terms of interactivity with the environment?

Well he did say "in terms of scale"
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby johnvivant » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:00 am

i think he means the size of each village is comparable in size to dobuita. at least i hope thats what he means. maybe they will interconnect with beautiful open forests and paths, with the option of fast travel.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Supa » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:03 am

If th entire game was as big as Dobuita, it'd be way tiny. He meant scale.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:05 am

Seems he may be a little too forward-thinking in some regards. Including the Dojo scroll is a "good idea" the he might "look into"? Including items from Shenmue I & II can't be done? What? Are these just translation issues (eg assuming the question meant carrying over game saves) or is he just disregarding everything from the previous games bar the plot?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby James Brown » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:18 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: Seems he may be a little too forward-thinking in some regards. Including the Dojo scroll is a "good idea" the he might "look into"? Including items from Shenmue I & II can't be done? What? Are these just translation issues (eg assuming the question meant carrying over game saves) or is he just disregarding everything from the previous games bar the plot?

When I read the answer about items from 1 and 2 I think in his head he thought the question was asking about transferring items you earnt form those games...such as capsule toys etc. I might be wrong though, but then apart from photographs, the scroll and the leaf, is there anything else of value to carry over?

James Brown has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Next

Return to Shenmue III