The answer to our YouTuber problem

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

The answer to our YouTuber problem

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:13 pm

On the way home from my inlaws I was racking my brain to figure out some way to raise more awareness for Shenmue 3. I feel like the Shenmue community is for the most part tapped out financially now. We need new blood. And we need something more vital than $30 on the 3rd was. As several of you have said we need the Youtubers to capture a different demographic that we've reached. The problem is that the biggest in the business aren't going to do it. Whether they've even heard our requests or not.

This is where my idea comes into play. We can still do a fan compilation that uses video of them reacting while they're playing other video games. We can crop out the actual game and put their faces over video of the Shenmue movie that came with the Xbox version of 2. At the end of the video we'd make it clear that hey really weren't playing the game and let people know we need their help to make 3 the best game it can be.

I'm a fan of markiplier so I know where to get his reactions but I don't know pewdiepie or the others. We need video that hasn't been keyed out like on a green screen. So it has to be video of them in front of a normal background. Also it's best if there's little background noise. If you like the idea let me know which videos and times. We need them reacting in sadness for when lan di kills iwoa, in fear from chai, love with nozomi, etc. Once the video is made we can share it to the darkest places of the internet where all the Youtubers' fans congregate.

Sound like a good plan?
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Re: The answer to our YouTuber problem

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:19 pm

Sounds like a bad idea.
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby LucBu » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:45 pm

Number of problems:

- If we were found out the backlash would be heavy; think media ridiculing such attempts and click bait articles galore.
- It's a little desperate.
- Legal ramifications if one of those YouTubers finds out and decides to do something about it. At the minimum, account strikes and removal the video.

And all of those three things could perpetuate each other.

I know that we're all anxious to knock up as much money as we can for Yu, and that we trust in him greatly, but only genuine Let's Plays will have a chance. All we can do is continue to connect with YouTubers. We could organise a list of YouTubers that the Shenmue community could mass tweet in appeal for Let's Plays - more chance for a single message to go through, maybe more, since YouTubers often have swamped email boxes. You might draw up a list of some and organise something like that. If even one popular YouTuber did that we'd be looking at a few hundred backers more within days.
Last edited by LucBu on Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LucBu
Master of the Three Blades

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:46 pm

Makes sense. Oh well.

elfshadowreaper has received a thanks from: LucBu
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Dragon St. » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:52 pm

I don't like it either. Fake reaction are fake reactions. People don't like to be fooled and with the bad press we already had regarding Sony's so called funding, this could backfire pretty bad.

You have a point however about the need for new blood. I also think that most of us are maxed out at this point and the current trailer will not win over new backers. What happened with the new video that was promised to us on the KS update a while back?

We really need a good introduction of Shenmue on Youtube that we can heavily promote. Too bad that the Project Berkley video is just too long and doesn't feature any final footage of the game, because the explanations given by Suzuki on the game are just perfect.
Dragon St.

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby LucBu » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:01 pm

elfshadowreaper wrote: Makes sense. Oh well.

I know you weren't ill intended. Shenmue's on all our minds right now. We'll get there. :)

LucBu has received a thanks from: elfshadowreaper
LucBu

Postby Kenny » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:12 pm

You're better off getting people to play these games for the first time and filming their reaction.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:00 pm

LucBu wrote:
elfshadowreaper wrote: Makes sense. Oh well.

I know you weren't ill intended. Shenmue's on all our minds right now. We'll get there. :)

Since I came up with $30 on the 3rd I felt a good bit of pressure(from myself) to come up with another idea. I just thought of something I did to a markiplier five nights at Freddy's video with my daughter. It worked for that video but I can see where a Shenmue video would smell of clickbait.

Here are the markiplier videos I made of my daughter:
http://youtu.be/FvzINx3NM0o
http://youtu.be/6vEYSfkqV6I
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Axm » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:58 pm

It would be funny. But ya, some legitimate concerns.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby sand4fish » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:08 pm

If you are looking for more YouTuber celebrities to endorse Shenmue 3, there's one I've trying to plead to, jeremyjahns. He's a hardcore gamer (though his favorite game is probably MGS, not Shenmue), and he is quite popular, having over 800k subscribers. But he does more movie reviews than games nowadays. Another celebrity that could help would be The Game Theorists (over 4 million subs).
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:01 pm

sand4fish wrote: If you are looking for more YouTuber celebrities to endorse Shenmue 3, there's one I've trying to plead to, jeremyjahns. He's a hardcore gamer (though his favorite game is probably MGS, not Shenmue), and he is quite popular, having over 800k subscribers. But he does more movie reviews than games nowadays. Another celebrity that could help would be The Game Theorists (over 4 million subs).

I like Jeremy too. He mainly reviews new release games or super classics. Shenmue is a cult game but I would it quite call it a classic...well I would but most wouldn't.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Drakul » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:42 pm

sounds a bit on the fridge of illegal and a bit shady so I would refrain but hey at least thanks for racking your brain and trying to come up with some ideas!
Drakul

Postby Ziming » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:54 pm

Daym Drops on Youtube. Problem is he's a food critic, and difficult to contact because of his popularity.

I do know he's loves the first Shenmue judging by this instagram.

https://instagram.com/p/pUIBC6mFVm/
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:13 am

It should be protected under parody law. Just look at TV shows that take interviews with celebrities and have someone else do a fake interview. But I get that it's a bad idea because it sounds desperate.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Fei Fong Wong » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:23 am

Yeah man without their approval it would be a problem, so i think we must pursue other ways.
Im sure that the key people on internet websites like game magazines are a more approachable than those famous youtubers and would be a form to promote the funding, here in Spain most websites doesnt give a shit and only say minor updates about the KS, plus a huge misinformation spread about Sony funding in ppl are making more difficult the task, im ashamed by that matter.
I have a new channel on YT but is unknown to everybody and only uploaded a few gameplay videos and cant record dreamcast gameplay, but i can comment on various channels (most USA youtubers i know are aware of S3 and already spread the word) anyway i try to gather the attention in my possibilities.
The most plausible way to reach more foreign attention would be television and radio channels, podcasts and heck! Spot commercials on every possible form, magazines, press, even paper pannels on walls, every thing possible.
Fei Fong Wong
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: Fei1984
Steam: Fei Wong
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Pillars of Eternity

Return to Shenmue III