Names pronounced differently in Shenmue 2 vs Shenmue.

(Chapters 3-6)

Names pronounced differently in Shenmue 2 vs Shenmue.

Postby rigo8582 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:41 pm

In the Shenmue many names were pronounced one way for example Zhao Sunming, but in Shenmue 2 its Sunming Zhao. Tao Lishao in Shenmue but in Shenmue 2 its Lishao Tao. Zhu Yuan Da in Shenmue and Yuanda Zhu in Shenmue 2.

Anyone know the reason for it? Its something I've been pondering for years. But since I recently played through Shenmue and about to start Shenmue 2 figured I would try to find out now after so many years lol.
rigo8582
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: qbanb8582
XBL: rigo8582
Steam: rigo8582
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Re: Names pronounced differently in Shenmue 2 vs Shenmue.

Postby Himuro » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:13 pm

In many Asian languages, last name comes before first name. In the first game, when translated, they made the name on a first name basis. In the second they stuck to the original Japanese/Chinese name where the last name is first.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:16 pm

I wasn't a fan of the sudden switch. To this day, I still reckon "Zhu Yuanda" sounds a lot better than "Yuanda Zhu". Likewise with "Tao Lishao" and "Lishao Tao".
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Himuro » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:58 am

I prefer the other way. Lishao Tao rolls on the tongue better to me.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby zaneiken » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:12 pm

Himuro wrote:In the first game, when translated, they made the name on a first name basis. In the second they stuck to the original Japanese/Chinese name where the last name is first.

Are you sure it's not the other way around? Last name first in S1, first name first in S2. Zhao, Tao, and Zhu are all surnames.
zaneiken
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Himuro » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:56 am

zaneiken wrote:
Himuro wrote:In the first game, when translated, they made the name on a first name basis. In the second they stuck to the original Japanese/Chinese name where the last name is first.

Are you sure it's not the other way around? Last name first in S1, first name first in S2. Zhao, Tao, and Zhu are all surnames.

I think you're right.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Hadoken Hazuki » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:09 am

I was thinking about this recently, and back in the day a lot of us were quite forgiving about this, but as much as I love the series, that kind of localization inconsistency is ridiculous - almost unacceptable. I honestly think that the localization team for Shenmue II didn't even look at the original game to see what decisions had been made to keep it consistent.

The worst aspect about this, is Shenhua's (sorry, SHA Hua in the first game) prophecy/poem. In the Japanese version, the poem remains the same in both games, but in the English translation, S1's poem is completely different to S2's. Yes, the sentiments are the same, but I think it loses a part of its clearly intended iconic appeal when one poem becomes a totally different poem between games.

Hopefully Shenmue III's localization will make a choice and stick with it! :)

Hadoken Hazuki has received a thanks from: Supa
Hadoken Hazuki
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Supa » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:00 am

That did always bother me. I wonder which English translation is closer to the Japanese version? I always preferred Shenmue I's, because I heard it first.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby JaySw34 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:30 pm

I still refer to the characters as they were named in Chapter I... (Zhu Yuan Da, Zhao Sunming etc...)
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34

Postby SMDzero » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:43 pm

JaySw34 wrote: I still refer to the characters as they were named in Chapter I... (Zhu Yuan Da, Zhao Sunming etc...)

I used to do that myself.. but I now prefer that the characters have 2 names and not 3.

i.e. Zhao Sun Ming is simply easier as Sunming Zhao. Zhu Yuan Da isn't Mr. "Da".. he's Mr. Zhu.. Yuanda Zhu.

I did sort of like Ling "Sha Hua" but Shenhua is probably better.

Speaking of Shenhua.. was her name ever "Rei"?

I remember in the early ads for Shenmue she was called "Rei Shenhua" That became Ling Sha Hua in Shenmue 1 and Ling Shenhua in Shenmue 2.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby JaySw34 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:46 pm

I also remember in the instruction booklet for Shenmue I, it says that Lan Di's name is Chang Long.... Kinda weird
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34

Postby SMDzero » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:24 pm

Not to mention the whole "Ryo" vs "Deo" debate.....

SMDzero has received a thanks from: JaySw34
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby zaneiken » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:22 pm

Supa wrote:I wonder which English translation is closer to the Japanese version?

The first game got it right. In Shenmue II on DC, the spoken Japanese dialogue says surname first. Shu Gen Tatsu = Zhu Yuan Da.
zaneiken
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby SMDzero » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:31 am

Wel how come Ryo introduces himself as "Ryo.. Ryo Hazuki" to the Chinese kid in Shenmue 1?
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Himuro » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:53 am

SMDzero wrote: Not to mention the whole "Ryo" vs "Deo" debate.....

In Japanese R's have a slight difference. Japanese R's sound like a slight d. So when pronouncing Ryo, it's not necessarilly Ree-yo but rather Dree-yo with d being very fast and subtle and the r part of the name being more prominent. The English dub of Shenmue pronounces Ryo's very accurately, which is funny because they don't do the same for other words like Ajiichi. In the English dub, they pronounce it Ajee-ichi like it's two words when it's Ajeeechi. The double means a longer i sound, not a break in the work.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Next

Return to Shenmue II