How much "magic" will be in Shenmue III? (spoiler ShenmueII)

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: How much "magic" will be in Shenmue III? (spoiler Shenmu

Postby ShenRy092 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:31 am

Also when ShenHua and Ryo is close to the Shenmue tree.
ShenRy092
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Bellator » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:33 am

I admit I hated the very last part of shenmue 2 with the flying sword. Then the last part of the shenmue online trailer with the magic balls...

Let's just say I expect the Shenmue series to continue to be a realist world, with a litle magical alements thrown in.
Magic should be limited to shenmuha and the phoenix/dragon mirrors.

What the fªªª. Why ywould you become a martial arts master throughout 2 entire games so that you could face your enemys with magic? :roll:

If magical stuff starts to appear everywhere shenmue lost me as a fan (which i have been for literally half my life).

Maybe the pools emerging from kickstarter will feature some questions regarding the magic tone of the series...
Bellator
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Otacon_ahs » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:37 am

RiGoRmOrTiS wrote: Been saying this for years, if you didn't see the magical elements coming from the beginning of Shenmue 1 you really weren't paying attention, you wouldn't kill over a mirror unless it had some mystical power, a young girl has a prophecy of ryo coming (magical), ryo has dreams of a girl he has never met and then a floating sword. I've been prepared since 1999 for it to have magical elements. you even see some in project Berkley.

And I look forward to it! :)

You could kill over a mirror because it's a symbol of power for the chinese mob. Or even it's leading to a treasure, or some mystical power. I'm not even denying the mystical part of Shenmue, just saying that depends of how far is Shenmue going with these powers. For example, a flying sword seems a bit too much, i would be ok with premonitions, legends and prophecies, subtle healing skills, martial arts with some type of invisible ki and so on, but not hadoukens with blue auras.

But it's just my opinion.
Last edited by Otacon_ahs on Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Otacon_ahs
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue I

Postby Otacon_ahs » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:45 am

Bellator wrote:
If magical stuff starts to appear everywhere shenmue lost me as a fan (which i have been for literally half my life).

This. It would have to be implemented in the plot extraordinary well for me swallowing all the magical stuff (well, it's a possibility. Maybe Yu Suzuki will deliver).
Otacon_ahs
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Weils » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:55 am

Axm wrote:That was all fine.
I'm speaking more of the man from cyber space wearing a Final Fantasy jacket, portaling in through thin air and then channeling a simultanious hadoken.
I dont think anyone could possibly like that unless they are a Chinese WoW gold farmer.

I don't know what to think of that after seeing that in the trailer. I always guess it to mean the human players "logging in" to help Ryo and his friends. But the hadoken move is extremely cheesy and does not fit the theme of the series, that I can agree on.

joka wrote: It's difficult to say storywise...

you've got all the underlying aspects like the prophecies of the mirror opening a gateway for chi you which Chen explained to Ryo- that would be pretty out there! But then Zhu showed Ryo the mirrors made a map to treasure of sorts...

I always thought what Chen and Zhu's differing views on what the mirrors will unlock have some truth in them. Reminds me of something called a momomyth.
Weils
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Bayonetta 1+2

Postby joka » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:14 am

RiGoRmOrTiS wrote:Been saying this for years, if you didn't see the magical elements coming from the beginning of Shenmue 1 you really weren't paying attention, you wouldn't kill over a mirror unless it had some mystical power, a young girl has a prophecy of ryo coming (magical), ryo has dreams of a girl he has never met and then a floating sword. I've been prepared since 1999 for it to have magical elements. you even see some in project Berkley.

And I look forward to it! :)

Lan Di didn't just kill Iwao for the mirrors though- he killed him more out of revenge for the death of his father but yes good point it has been an undercurrent of the series since day dot- I mean even forgetting mirrors/Shenhua for a minute Chai was supernatural to a degree.... That weirdo could jump!
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby Miles Prower » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:26 am

joka wrote:
you've got all the underlying aspects like the prophecies of the mirror opening a gateway for chi you which Chen explained to Ryo- that would be pretty out there! But then Zhu showed Ryo the mirrors made a map to treasure of sorts...

I think combat wise it'll stay pretty grounded- enhanced with some Ki (sp?) moves courtesy of Shenhua.

Anything more likely cut scene/qte based and probably sparingly.

Yeah, I was going to say that we should have been expecting this ever since Chen's explanation of Chi You and what is meant to happen if the two mirrors are joined together...we've known that this is Lan Di's goal for a long time now. Though Zhu's explanation does seem to differ, yes...but again, it just confirmed that there is some 'magic' involved.

I really wouldn't worry about them going over the top with it. But for people to not realise that the story would eventually head this way does seem a bit naive, especially since the Chi You discussion is as early as the second disc of the first game!

Miles Prower has received a thanks from: Sonoshee
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987

Postby Sonoshee » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:40 am

I think a good many of us knew about the "magic" since Project Berkley and the early footage of Lan Di and Shenhua battling each other.

Also, it should be plain as day to those who didn't when Master Chen mentions in the first game "When the Dragon and the Phoenix meet, the gates of heaven and earth will open. Then 'Chiyou' (a mythical bird of Chinese legend) will resurrect itself on earth". That's not your every day occurrence.

Sonoshee has received a thanks from: Miles Prower
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Otacon_ahs » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:53 am

Just curious, but maybe the story in Virtua Fighter RPG and Project Berkley has changed since Shenmue? Suzuki has confirmed something related to this?
Otacon_ahs
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby 7heavens » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:44 am

I believe that the future of the shenmue series will continue in the manner that they currently have. I.e. Have immersive realistic environments with elements of fantasy. Not over the top.

And to dispel any concern for those people who are worrying about the levitating sword, just think of it as some sort of magnetic force that has been triggered which has charged the sword and made it levitate. If a train in Japan can levitate and carry people across vast distances in short periods of time (Maglev Bullet Train) then a levitating piece of sharp metal shouldn't be too distant from the confines of reality.

I don't think we will see hadoukens in the form of blue fireballs, but possibly an inclusion of chi and Dim Mak (elements that are not too fantastic and Over the Top)

Regarding the Chi You Men, I consider them an organisation that is involved in Underworld Crime, but at the same time involved in the occult. (I.e. trying to resurrect demonic forces that will possibly possess them or their leader Tentei). And even then I don't think we'll see dragons flying around breathing fire (like in the hobbit) but rather we might see a possession that is raw and realistic like real life possession cases where the individual who is possessed can gain extra strength and strange powers.

Either way support the campaign and wait and see :-)

7heavens has received a thanks from: Otacon_ahs
7heavens
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Johnmiceter » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:49 am

can someone post a link of these super natural powers or magic as i have forgotten about this since playing Shenmue 2 about 10 or more years ago and cant remember this.

Can someone post a youtube video of it please but just that part not the whole movie, thanks.
Johnmiceter
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Himuro » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:50 am

I am fine with magic, but certain degrees of magic. Magic flying swords and Shenhua using chi to blow dandelions, fine. But summoning literal physical manifestations of the Phoenix and Dragon and firing Kemehameha's? No. Just no. ](*,)

Sonoshee wrote: I think a good many of us knew about the "magic" since Project Berkley and the early footage of Lan Di and Shenhua battling each other.

Also, it should be plain as day to those who didn't when Master Chen mentions in the first game "When the Dragon and the Phoenix meet, the gates of heaven and earth will open. Then 'Chiyou' (a mythical bird of Chinese legend) will resurrect itself on earth". That's not your every day occurrence.

Chiyou is not a bird.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiyou
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Sonoshee » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:05 pm

Himuro wrote:Chiyou is not a bird.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiyou

Not even sure where the f*ck bird came from, I meant monster. My bad.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Mr357 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:15 pm

It's not like Chai is realistic. He can jump about 10 feet at a forty-five degree angle.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:50 pm

If you think magic is awkward, why not to see Shenmue from a geopolitical point of view ? Magic is just supposed to be the equivalent of the new nuclear power with powers looking for them, including one of the most important mafias of the world. It's still the story of life.

I really can't see Shenmue turning into a world where this magic is easily mastered by Ryo. If the worst comes to the worst, don't forget all these things can be well and slowly implanted if the story is written with the utmost care. It's just a question of how to introduce them.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Otacon_ahs
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III