Returning Characters?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Returning Characters?

Postby Dragon St. » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:30 pm

If I remember right Wong says something like ''We''ll see him again!'' to Joy as Ryo leaves Kowloon. I always thought of that as a sign that they will show up again later in the story.
Dragon St.
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Miles Prower » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:52 pm

Ryo and Shenhua (obviously), and Lan Di were all confirmed on the Kickstarter site, as well as confirmation that we'll see Niao Sun. I think Ren showing up at some point is a pretty safe bet, considering Yu mentioning the character perspective system and possibly being able to play as him, and we know that he plans on following Ryo to Guilin at some point. Gui Zhang is a maybe, if he still plans on catching up after his leg has healed. Ziming is a possibility, but depends on how far we get in the story. Xiuying may have a chance of coming back too. Joy however, I think it's pretty unlikely.
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987

Postby sand4fish » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:56 pm

Imagine Ryo's reaction if Iwao was actually not dead and just popped in front of his son...

phpBB [video]
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:57 pm

I think the likes of Ziming and Niao Sun are a given considering that Ryo will be coming across the Chi You Men. I do think Shenmue Online pretty much confirms that Joy, Ren, Xiuying and Wong will return too. I also feel that Yuanda Zhu's part in the story is not over yet either.

I would like to see Guizhang return, like most people, I would like to see how Ren and Guizhang react to each other: "Yeah, I heard all about you off Joy" or something like that probably. They'll probably also talk about how annoying Ryo can be. :)
I'd also like to see Chai again, who's still my favourite villain in the series so far. Plus, I had to give a vote for another Shenmue 1 character, because y'all are just talking about dem Shenmue 2 characters and not showing S1 any love. [-X
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Aimless Gamer » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:07 pm

I just want Tom back!

Aimless Gamer has received a thanks from: ConanTheKing
Aimless Gamer

XBL: Aimless Gamer

Postby ConanTheKing » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:40 pm

Sonoshee wrote: Who we will see: Ryo, Shenhua, Lan Di, Niao Sun
Who I want to see: Xiuying, Nozomi, Ren

You're in luck, I'm pretty sure Ren was confirmed in the Twitch Q&A when Suzuki-San was talking about what the character perspective system is.
ConanTheKing

PSN: ConanTheLeader

Postby shieldos » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:11 pm

I'd love to learn more about and actually see Lan Di. For the games antagonist he's appeared for literally two cutscenes, but both being epic appearances.
shieldos

PSN: Xieldos
XBL: Xieldos09

Postby Mr357 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:59 pm

I think Gui Zhang and Ren would make a great character foil, with Ryo trying to be the mediator. Funny thing is, both of them were voiced by Eric Kelso, so it would be like Deus Ex. (For those not familiar, Jay Anthony Franke voiced both the protagonist, JC Denton, and his brother, Paul Denton. The two had several lengthy conversations throughout the game.)
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby denile » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:27 pm

Guizhang, Fuku-san, Ren and Chai get my vote.
denile

Postby johnvivant » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:28 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: le, I would like to see how Ren and Guizhang react to each other:[-X

me too. i'm sure those two would make for an interesting dynamic
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Locke_cole » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:35 pm

Guizhang will be back

I really hope Tom and Mario show up!
Locke_cole
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonoshee » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:24 pm

johnvivant wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:I would like to see how Ren and Guizhang react to each other:[-X

me too. i'm sure those two would make for an interesting dynamic

It would be interesting to see Guizhang fall for the coin trick :lol:
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Erevador » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:00 am

It'd be nice to get a phone call with Nozomi.
Erevador
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Himuro » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:22 am

I'm not sure if Wong, Joy and Xiuying being in Online is proof the characters will return. I mean, the thing seemed to be a Best of Shenmue II anyways. Even going so far as to repeat entire mini games and story retreads (Delin stuff) that were in II.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:53 am

Himuro wrote: I'm not sure if Wong, Joy and Xiuying being in Online is proof the characters will return. I mean, the thing seemed to be a Best of Shenmue II anyways. Even going so far as to repeat entire mini games and story retreads (Delin stuff) that were in II.

I agree. I think Wong and Joy would definitely be out of Shenmue III, since I don't see any reason why they would follow Ryo. I believe there's a slight possibility Xiuying follows Ryo if she thinks that he can somehow lead her to Ziming, though I'm thinking she probably could have already done that herself. Unless maybe by following Ryo, she can be more discreet.

I think Ren and Guizhang will return in Shenmue III, with the possibility of Xiuying (and if she doesn't return in III, then she'll be in IV because of her connection to Ziming).

In general, I just like the idea that secondary characters would come and go in the story as Ryo leaves for other areas. It helps create the feeling of an adventure if you're always encountering new characters in new areas. Of course, if Ryo returns to an area, then it make sense for the same characters to be there.
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III